Ford Mustang 3.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a new 2012 Mustang with the V6/M6. Have tried searching a bit for any UOA's on this non turbo version of the F150 engine to find out if it is hard on oil. I know my daughters 2010 Camaro V6 has had some sheering problems/dilution issues, but the Ford 3.7 is not DI. It does however have the dual OHC and chain set up with phasers on all cams.

DSCN2685.jpg

Last edited:
Ford DOHC engines in general are very, very easy on oil. It will run well on the Ford MC 5W-20.

If you want to go syn, any will do in either 0W-20 or 5W-20....however, IF you go syn, I'd opt for a 0W-20 - why not get a bit quicker start-up flow if you can?

Originally Posted By: renegade_987
Looks fantastic, as does the Vette in the back. Congrats

Must be to tow the swamp boat parked next to it...

any chance you got it at Terrebonne Ford in Vacherie? my father in law has been getting his fords there for years.

I must have been mistaken, I could have swore that in one of the car mags it said that the new Mustang V6 had DI. Anyway, and name brand 5w20 should work very well in a non-DI Ford V6. Motorcraft or PYB would be excellent choices.

Thanks for the comments guys. Was planning 4,000mi OCI with conventional 5-20(STASH). Good suggestion on the syn 0-20 though, worth a try.

Hoping the mileage on the first tank was not a fluke. Made a couple hundred mile road trip this past weekend, all flat I-10(Baton Rouge to Bay St. Louis, Ms. and back)at 70mph, A/C blaring and got hand calc. 34.4 MPG. We will see if this was a dream......

MPVUE..no, it came from a dealer in Mobile,Al. through Lamarque Ford, Kenner, La.

NO, the vette only tows my big $%^&

Last edited:
I would drain the factory filled at 3k miles then do a couple 3k miles OCI with conventional 5W20 to rid of break-in metals. After that go with synthetic 0W20 and 7-8k miles OCI.

How'd you get the premium package without the stripe near the rocker panels. What option packages do you have.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I would drain the factory filled at 3k miles then do a couple 3k miles OCI with conventional 5W20 to rid of break-in metals. After that go with synthetic 0W20 and 7-8k miles OCI.

Agreed, but maybe get a UOA at 5k to see how the oil is doing.

Great car, love those wheels! I just saw a Mustang today during lunch with those wheels, and interestingly they are very similar to the wheels on my 1998 BMW.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Some manuals actually say to do the first oil change as early as 500 miles...

4Kings....Sticker said "Tape Stripe Delete" as did MOST of the Premiums I looked at on line.

Kemo....Agree, had plans to run the FF for about 1500mi. Car does have an OLM, but I am fairly old school with OCI and conv. oils.

CRW....yeah, the polished wheels and Pirelli P-Zero's were a selling point. They do look just like those BMW's.

Last edited:
i got a black pony package, and took the stripes off myself. They are just vinyl and peel right off with no problems.

As for oil, I did an early change and then went to Pennzoil Platinum. I've got about 5K on this fill and I'm going to try QS synthetic on the next fill.

Gas mileage is very impressive for a car with 300+ horsepower. I get in the 32 range on the highway.

Originally Posted By: steve20
With a Camaro and a Corvette, how could you let a Ford in the stable?

Camaro? I see a Ranger in his sig..... But no Camaro.

I'm a fan of doing a couple of short OCI initially for the sake of flushing stuff out.

But afterwards, the OEM OCI is very reasonable.

My 2010 Fusion 2.5L runs OEM 7.5k mile OCIs and my UOAs are good.

I would say that whatever the manual states for that 3.7L engine is going to be fine with a qualified fluid meeting specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back