Oil filter recommendation for 2008 Grand Caravan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, just purchased a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan (3.3) with 63,000km on it. I'm just wondering which oil filter would be best recommended for this vehicle. I've had a 2002 Caravan(3.3) for almost 4 years and used Napa Gold oil filter for the past 2 years (with pennzoil platinum).

Should I just stick with continuing to use the napa gold or go with the factory stock filters or is there something out there thats better? I havent been on this forum in a long time so I dont know what new things have come out.

I'm buying the vehicle from the Dodge Dealer (preowned certified), so no mom & pop shop type of dealer. I plan on changing the oil with yellow bottle for a short interval then will continue to use P. Platinum afterwards... is this recommended or should I go with something different this time around? I notice it takes 5w-20 compare to 5w-30 on my old 2002.

Thanks for all the help guys, this forum is the best!

In all honesty, this engine isn't terribly picky about it's oil or it's oil filter. You can stick with Dino and the cheapest available filter if your OCI is 5,000 miles. If you are sticking with PP and Napa Gold, you can extend OCI to extract value from this premium combination.

Also, one of the easiest DIYs I've ever worked on.

Last edited:
Once you start Platinum again, try out something like a Purolator Pure One or a FRAM Extended Guard, as long as you are going over a 5 K OCI. If not, a SuperTech filter would do the job.

Welcome, A wix 51085 will do you good, Ive run them for years on my 3.3 and no problems. I get them for 4.95 here in Vancouver or you can get the napa version. Just keep some money aside for when it hits 100k for a tranny rebuild. Mine died at 103 and I used good oil and filters every 20k. Good luck.

well i do my OC every 6 months, once before the start of the winter and then one before the start of the summer, i dont drive too much but its 90% stop and go city driving, almost no highway at all. in a year i would put about 15500km/9500miles so i usually go about 6months/4750miles between OC's but because theres no highway driving thats why i use PP vs regular O' dino and the winter months here can get to -20c so another reason i use PP

where can i buy purolator filter? all i have in my area is canadian tire, napa, carquest and then some small mom & pop shop auto part business.. the Napa gold filter cost me $12 for the 2002 caravan, they also sell a Napa silver filter for less...

You've got to make the switch to Hastings!!!

Just kidding. Everyone is so enthusiastic about the filters... The filter you are using, and the ones recommended are all fine quality.

Hastings. Baldwin, Wix, (Napa is a Wix), and Purolator are good filters. Any of them should be ok.

Originally Posted By: merdog
Welcome, A wix 51085 will do you good, Ive run them for years on my 3.3 and no problems. I get them for 4.95 here in Vancouver or you can get the napa version. Just keep some money aside for when it hits 100k for a tranny rebuild. Mine died at 103 and I used good oil and filters every 20k. Good luck.

im getting an extended dodge warranty that covers me with $0 deductible for 120,000km/6years (minus the 3yrs it already has and the 63,000km which leaves with me 3years and 57,000km)

Originally Posted By: eddiedz
well i do my OC every 6 months, once before the start of the winter and then one before the start of the summer, i dont drive too much but its 90% stop and go city driving, almost no highway at all. in a year i would put about 15500km/9500miles so i usually go about 6months/4750miles between OC's but because theres no highway driving thats why i use PP vs regular O' dino and the winter months here can get to -20c so another reason i use PP

where can i buy purolator filter? all i have in my area is canadian tire, napa, carquest and then some small mom & pop shop auto part business.. the Napa gold filter cost me $12 for the 2002 caravan, they also sell a Napa silver filter for less...

The usual places I grab oil filters are online, either at Autopartsway.ca (they don't have Bosch premium for your Caravan but have them for my Honda's and at a GREAT price!), they do have OES filters (usually oem filter so for your Caravan it would be Mopar) for about 8.23 plus shipping but shipping is free if you spend more then 75 bucks on an order so it may be worth it.

rockauto.com is another place but shipping will be a killer, unless you are order a whole wack of parts it may not be worth it.

Napa here in Canada demands too much for the Wix rebadge (Napa Gold) so does Carquest for their Blue filters (Wix rebadge as well).

Last edited:
All good recommendations above. Also, consider the Bosch filter - I've gotten good use from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back