Cooking oil instead of brake fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heard the other day that this has been a shade tree fix in Australia's past.

Any one got any experience or knowledge of the practice ?

There are lots of things I would do to get home if I broke down in your Outback...like, wedging a broken CV joint with the jack to lock that axle and limp home with one wheel driving...or putting cooking oil in my brake system to act as hydraulic fluid...

Then it would get properly fixed when back at a garage!

I think that cooking oil is likely too viscous (at room temp...worse in the cold...it turns to solid at low temps) for most brake systems, particularly ABS modules...emergency procedure at best...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I would be afraid it would contaminate the whole system's rubber seals.

Yes, me to. Also, it's not like brake fluid is expensive, either.

If they are shooting at you, or you are stuck out in the middle of nowhere, then sure... go ahead and do what you have to.

Was thinking of applying it to about the same degree as pumping my tyres up to 50psi, and rubbing a potatoe across my windshield.

Was shocked to hear a guy say that he used it the other week...then Googled "cooking oil brake fluid" and was somewhat shocked at the number of results (one guy in the UK got 6 months jail for running it).

I had a brake line begin to leak on my '51 Ford when I was a kid. The master cylinder was under the floor beside the drivers seat and I scooped up some water out of Lake Erie in a pop bottle and drove home while pouring water into the open master cylinder.
Worked great but made quite a clean-up for the mechanic to get me roadworthy the next day...
56.gif

when i was in high school" the dark ages" in auto shop class we had a guy from brake maker talk to us. he said that in an emergency you can use water in a brake system, BUT MUST be taken out as soon as you can, for obvious reasons. but i wouldn't do it if i could do something else.

when i was in high school" the dark ages" in auto shop class we had a guy from brake maker talk to us. he said that in an emergency you can use water in a brake system, BUT MUST be taken out as soon as you can, for obvious reasons. but i wouldn't do it if i could do something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back