Oil reccomendation for 2011 NA Subaru Forester

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sorry if this has been discussed to death. I searched and searched and did not realy find anything. I have a 2011 Forester that is approximately 3 1/2 months old with less than 2k on the odometer. I would like to do the first oil change and have already purchased my supply of the new oem filters that this vehicle uses. I am considering going with the M1 0 20 for this vehicle but was wondering if anyone had seen any good UOA's for this engine or had any specific reccomendations. Any help and or direction would be appreciated.

I know one guy here uses Pennzoil dino in his 09 forester. I am a synthetic fan though, so mobil 1 0w20 or 0w30 sounds about perfect

What are your driving habits? Are you willing to spend more on synthetic if it means longer intervals between changes?

Subaru says you must use 0 20 synthetic in this engine and I will for warranty. I have used M1 in my wifes 06 v6 accord since new no issues with that vehicle, which is why I was leaning toward M1 for the Subaru. Both of our cars are primarily in town vehicles so not exactly easy miles to say the least. I am pretty much a fan of synthetic oil and even use Amsoil in my Kawasaki powered zero turn.

Mobil1 or Pennzoil Platinum. M1 5W30 has been criticized for less than optimal valve train protection, but not sure if the same can be said for the 0W20.

The new Forester engine specs 0w20. I'd go with whatever you find on the best sale...all the synthetics you can find easily (Mobil1, Pennzoil Platinum, Valvoline Synpower, Quaker State Ultimate Durability) should be find for the 7500 mile OCI that is recommended (or the 3750 if you fall under severe service).

Sadly, there's not a lot of UOA data so far on the new FB25 motor your Forester has, but with that said, just about any 0w-20 synthetic should be fine. Most of the UOA's out there are of the factory fill....

Changing at 2k is not a bad idea-the first factory OCI comes in at 7.5k, and what UOA's tend to show is a heaping amount of moly-odds are, it's all the assembly lube that they use at the factory, and getting all that stuff out of there after 1k or so isn't a bad idea at all.

Mobil 1 and Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra are the two easiest to find 0w-20's, and both should be fine IMHO.

Since you're doing your own changes it sounds like, just make sure to keep your receipts for the filters and oil, and document when and how many miles were on the car when you did it, JIC any warranty issues come up.

Thanks for the information I have only seen one uoa of the factory fill oil. I really do not even know enough to know what I am looking at. I was just curious as to wether anyone thought that there was anything better about the oem stuff than any other brand. Mobil 1 is probably what I will go with. Thanks, Jim

Subaru engines will run on anything, including the new FB. I would use a good synthetic 30 weight.

Originally Posted By: webfors
Subaru engines will run on anything, including the new FB. I would use a good synthetic 30 weight.

And you suggest ignoring the factory spec because?

Originally Posted By: HollowEyes
Originally Posted By: webfors

And you suggest ignoring the factory spec because?

And we are off ---

what factory spec ?
American or European ( *Europe* where the oils are frankly better and oil is taken a bit more serious than here )

If you want to know what oil is the best for you vehicle check what European specs are for that vehicle -- and before the brainless suggest that the vehicle is made different let me assure you it isn't

* a lot of vehicles in the USA are factory recommended for 20 weight where in Europe they are 30 weight recommended -- I'd say go with the 30 weight oils - they are better for engines

Last edited:
As the OP is in USA, the European specs are not relevant in this case, in regards to any warranty issues.

And by "factory spec" I mean what is printed on the oil cap for the engine and listed in the owner's manual of the OP's vehicle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Until the warranty runs out I would go with the specification that Subaru of America specifies. That way if there are any engine issues they cannot finger you for not follwoing recommended specs.

After the warranty I agree with the 0-30 Euro spec oil that Subaru European distributors recommend. In REALITY especially in hot climates or where you do a lot of high speed driving the 0-30 weight is superior.

As the OP is in USA, the European specs are not relevant in this case, in regards to any warranty issues.

And by "factory spec" I mean what is printed on the oil cap for the engine and listed in the owner's manual of the OP's vehicle.

Fine use 20 weight and complain about oil burn issues like new Jeep Wrangler owners are doing

It means zip to me and a 30 weight burns down to a 20 weight in fast order
the INTERNET has way to many repeat the old garbage stuff anymore Warranty issue for using a 30 weight instead of a 20 weight OMG please be real
there is thre real world and the internet [censored]
YMMV

Since you just got the 2011 Forester (which I presume is the 2.5X, non-turbo), I would stick to the manufacturer-recommended 0W-20 viscosity. Now if you do have special driving conditions, the owners manual might indicate the use of a different viscosity.

The FB25 engine in the 2011 and newer non-turbo Foresters isn't exactly the same as the old EJ25 (although there are still many similarities).

Stick with it and then you be the judge if 0W-20 is right.

Oh, and Subaru "requires" the use of the Subaru-branded Idemitsu "synthetic" 0W-20, but I'm sure any syn-labeled 0W-20 will do fine since non-turbo Subaru engines aren't too bad on motor oil.

Originally Posted By: badnews

Fine use 20 weight and complain about oil burn issues like new Jeep Wrangler owners are doing

It means zip to me and a 30 weight burns down to a 20 weight in fast order
the INTERNET has way to many repeat the old garbage stuff anymore Warranty issue for using a 30 weight instead of a 20 weight OMG please be real
there is thre real world and the internet [censored]
YMMV

So...you know everything then about the engines and how they behave, what oil they were designed for and so forth? Glad to know.

You realize, you are just another person on the internet and not "real world" right?

Just read the owners manual!!! I know on my 2k9 Outback there is a range of oils to use in different conditions. It says 5w-30 on the cap but in the manual I can use up to a 10w-40. I myself have used a 5w-40 since 300 miles. I am now at 77,680 miles with no issues! Just check the manual, look at the range of oils they specify and stay with whatever makes you happy in that range. That simple...

19.gif

Last edited:
Have read the manual!!! Only one weight listed, not my question!!! Looking for a brand that gives good results in Subarus.

Originally Posted By: thunderchild
Just read the owners manual!!! I know on my 2k9 Outback there is a range of oils to use in different conditions. It says 5w-30 on the cap but in the manual I can use up to a 10w-40. I myself have used a 5w-40 since 300 miles. I am now at 77,680 miles with no issues! Just check the manual, look at the range of oils they specify and stay with whatever makes you happy in that range. That simple...

19.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back