$200 car $20 paintjob

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I bought it..
IMG_0930.jpg

Bought the correct bumpers.. the purple is the correct color for the car. Didn't replaced the hood with the correct one not planning to.
IMG_0999.jpg

After 3 coats of Royal Blue Rustoleum 1 quart.
IMG_1270.jpg

IMG_1271.jpg

IMG_1269.jpg

A little lighter than I wanted but it'll do. If I'd wetsand and put a few more layers it would look better than new. First time I ever painted a car not even a spray job. I figured this paintjob is fitting for it and looks better than I expected.

For brushed-on paint, yeah it's not a bad job, and the paint should be fairly durable for as long as you want to keep the car going....

Rockguard paint wow.. I was thinking about doing the lower sections in some sort of durable paint. Probably won't though. I plan on driving this car for 13 or 16 years one of the boys will be driving then... daddy's going to get him a Mustang or maybe mommy and I get to borrow it.

Why don't you get a couple spray paint cans of clear coat and go over it twice? Would be cheap and make a big difference. Overall not bad as is for a beater. Maybe get some hub caps for $20 at WalMart.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
eljefino will be proud.

laugh.gif

DSC_0020.jpg

I've seen that color blue on a car before!

You didn't thin yours with mineral spirits? It's gonna chip...

Shot #2 looks like a mini Windstar, LOL.

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
Rockguard paint wow..

I've seen trucks "painted" entirely with bed-liner. I want to stop and ask them how they keep their vehicles waxed.
crazy2.gif

A truck I can see painted with bed-liner.. if I had a work truck I would. I did use mineral spirits. A little paint and a splash of mineral spirits. On the clear it's not worth it. It does look good on the pics but up close there's alot of blemishes. I really wish I would of spent more time sanding the old paint down. I had a set of $20 hubcaps the first bump one came off and went 1/4 down main street.. it was kinda funny as it passed us and kept going!

What do you mean you didn't replace the hood? Was there a running change in style where more hood would fill that gap by the grille?

$200 40 MPG car, pick that up in this day and age, you win, sir.

Pre sanding is important, your doors in the first shot look nasty with many unknowns. I also wish I did the benz a little better; they say sand enough to stick but they mean get it perfect.

They changed the front end on the 97's. The grill is integrated with the bumper on the 97 versus separate on the 94-96's. It's not exactly a 40 mpg car yet. Only averaging 27mpg right now should be 35-36mpg the same as the Festiva.. both are automatics. I'm still trying to figure it out.

I did sand but not as much as I should of. With everything wrong making the paint perfect would be like polishing a terd into a diamond. My main focus was to get it the same color and look a little better.. I do agree I could of did alot better job with more work.

yeah, the "same color" was my theme too. Helps make the car look good to oncoming traffic and old guys with cataracts. Before:

DSCN6847.jpg

I forgot to mention how hard it was to find all the blue painter's tape on that color when I was done!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I forgot to mention how hard it was to find all the blue painter's tape on that color when I was done!
wink.gif

It was for me as well.. my 3 year old didn't have a problem though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back