W5A580 transmission, any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the urge at least for now, to buy a new 2012 Jeep Wrangler. 6/6/11 they start taking orders, but I'll be waiting. So far I'm liking the Pentastar engine, and I found out today they will be going with the W5A580 5 speed AT. How are these transmissions?

TIA

they are suppose to be alot stronger and reliable than the old 42rle.

this transmission also sees duty behind v-8s. mike

MB introduced it in 1995 and When GM owned Daimler (or vice versa), they put a lot of money into upgrading it. It is fast out of first gear and pretty even gear ratio for smooth transition through gears. IMO, it has stood up for a while, I think they are in stock Challenger's too. It is a good trans. I like that ride! Get it;)

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
MB introduced it in 1995 and When GM owned Daimler (or vice versa), they put a lot of money into upgrading it. It is fast out of first gear and pretty even gear ratio for smooth transition through gears. IMO, it has stood up for a while, I think they are in stock Challenger's too. It is a good trans. I like that ride! Get it;)

You mean Chrysler, not GM...... The "merger" between Chrysler and Daimler happened in 1995.

The Jeep Wrangler doesn't use the Pentastar 3.6 V-6...it uses the 3.8L OHV engine. It is a good engine.

The Grand Chrokees use the Pentastar V-6 in them.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
The Jeep Wrangler doesn't use the Pentastar 3.6 V-6...it uses the 3.8L OHV engine. It is a good engine.

2012 the Wrangler gets the 3.6 Pentastar and the W5A580 transmission. Exactly what I was hoping for.

not in 2012. they are getting the pentastar and the 5 speed auto.

Last edited:
My car has this trans in it, tons of track days and strip passes.

Per my many Hemi buds they are great to about 500-550 rwhp, then minor upgrades take you to 600-700 rwhp, then major upgrades and they are good for over 1000!!!

Known far and wide as a durable transmission, and has a lot of cool tech in it. One is real ball and roller bearings instead of plain, and a "dry" design that keeps fluid off all rotating parts. In addition they have infinitely variable lockup, which is very cool.

i have the 580 in my v6 cherokee, 2008. I quite like it. it was poo-poo'ed when it first came out by the jeep crowd and it had one production flaw allowing water to sneak in via bad o-ring on an electrical connector. it can shift a bit soft for some tastes.

I found that getting off the oem atf+4 and switching to castrol atf+4 cleaned my shifts a little bit.

it has a dipstick tube but no stick. fluid level is measured in MM while reading a temp chart and thermometer to set proper fluid level. it is supposedly quite picky about this. One also needs to be careful when re-torquing pan bolts... they can strip. AND the non-oem filters don't always fit them well. those are the gripes.

Those aside, it is quickly growing on me as the favorite AT I have ever owned. And the older it gets, the more positive the general opinions of it have become. It will be well-overbuilt for a wrangler with a V6 - it's stock in the GC SRT with the Hemi.

SteveSRT8 - do you have more info? I'd love to read more if you have good solid sources to recommend!

The W5A580 debuted in 1995 Mercedes-Benz passenger vehicles and is known to be one of the smoothest, most fuel-efficient and cost-effective transmissions in the industry. Its unique three-channel torque converter helps provide an exceptionally smooth ride and shifting, while reducing fuel consumption. A $455 million upgrade project at the Indiana Transmission Plant was started in 2001 and completed in 2003. The 600,000 SF plant was designed to produce around 400,000 of the W5A580 transmissions per year for the North American market. The transmission project was the first joint effort between the company's American and German wings after the Chrysler Corp. and Daimler-Benz merge in 1998.

A broad ratio spread from First to the Fifth was selected to minimize fuel consumption and reduce powertrain noise during cruising. An aggressive First-gear ratio provides excellent launch performance, and evenly spaced gear ratios provide smooth acceleration through the gears.

World-class efficiency is achieved through physical and electronic means. This transmission uses bearings to reduce friction in many locations where other transmissions may utilize bushings. The transmission also uses a unique scavenging system that removes oil spun off of the rotating parts by centrifugal force through strategically placed slots in the outside of the case. This saves energy that would be consumed by internal parts rotating in oil. Lubricating holes in the clutches are also positioned to promote quick passage of the transmission fluid through the discs, minimizing viscous losses due to trapped oil.

The shift schedule adapts to individual driving style, driving situation and road conditions, altering shift points based on an accelerator pedal usage, brake usage, lateral acceleration, altitude and load on the car as a result of grades. Electronically controlled engine torque management provides quick wide-open-throttle up shifts and quick two-step (4-2 or 3-1) kick-down shifts that are exceptionally smooth.

Transmission ratios:
Gear W5A580 545RFE
1st .........3.59.......... 3.00
2nd ........2.19......... 1.67 upshift / 1.50 kickdown
3rd......... 1.41...........1.0
4th...........1.00........ 0.75
5th .........0.83 .........0.67
Reverse ..3.16......... 3.0

Fully adaptive electronic control of all shifting makes shifts very smooth. The system monitors the transmission as shifts occur and adjusts hydraulic pressure as needed. In so doing, the controls make the powertrain feel responsive without harshness.

Driver recognition software alters shift points based on accelerator pedal usage, brake usage and lateral acceleration. This does not require a compromise between sporty and economical operation, nor is it a question of choosing one or the other.

A torque management system uses engine torque modeling to facilitate smooth transmission shifting. Because of electronic throttle control, torque management is more sophisticated and covers a broad torque range. Torque converter clutch slippage is electronically modulated and provides for partial engagement in Third, Fourth or Fifth gears. This results in improved shift feel, fuel economy, driveability and cooling. It can be used at lower speeds to provide benefits over a broad speed range. The system disengages as required to provide optimal performance.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

2012 the Wrangler gets the 3.6 Pentastar and the W5A580 transmission. Exactly what I was hoping for.

Well, colour me severely un-impressed. a trues Jeep, like the Wrangler, doesn't need a high-revving, high-powered DOHV V-6 to do what it's designed to do. It needs a torquey, low-revving engine...the 4.0 I=6 was the best at that, but the 3.8 OHV engine was a good substitute to deal with emmission issues.

It's not a real 'Jeep' now - they might as well lower it 6 inches, and put low-pofile 'sport tires on it. Idiots.

I have the urge at least for now, to buy a new 2012 Jeep Wrangler. 6/6/11 they start taking orders, but I'll be waiting. So far I'm liking the Pentastar engine, and I found out today they will be going with the W5A580 5 speed AT. How are these transmissions?

TIA

The W5A580 is the transmission that's been in use in V8-powered Magnums, 300s, Challengers, and Chargers for a number of years. Its pretty near bulletproof, and I would think even moreso in a v6 application. It was originally a Benz design, somewhat streamlined and simplified by Chrysler and now produced at their transmission plant in Indiana. The other transmission I thought they might use for the Wrangler would be the Chrysler-designed 545RFE, but that is a bigger, heavier transmission currently used in fullsize trucks and the (previous generation) Grand Cherokee. They're both capable of dealing with huge torque inputs, but the 580 is more of a "car" transmission and the 545RFE more of a "truck" transmission. And if you look at the gear ratios, the 580 is probably better suited to a somewhat peaky engine with less off-idle torque than the 3.8, like the pentastar (see next comments below). The 580 (and maybe the 545RFE also) will probably be replaced by the Chrysler/ZF collaborative 8-speed automatic that's in the works.

At any rate, the 580 is a rock. Don't worry about it. In fact I wouldn't worry about any currently-built Chrysler transmission- the days of the 41TE in minivans are gone.

If I have any questions about the 2012 Wrangler, its not about the transmission so much as the applicability of the Pentastar v6 for an offroad vehicle. The 3.8 gets a lot of complaints for lack of horsepower, slow acceleration, etc on-road, but the real reason the 3.8 was chosen for the Wrangler in the first place was its torque curve. Of all Chrysler's engines, it was the most similar in torque curve to the old 4.0 straight-six it replaced. One of the most critical characteristics for offroading is off-idle torque. Both the old 4.0 and the equally old 3.8 do a great job off-road, with their ability to idle over obstacles smoothly and with great control. They hit almost their peak torque within a few hundred RPM of idle speed, and maintain it over the whole range. The Pentastar, at least in the Grand Cherokee, looks like it has a much peakier torque curve and really REALLY needs more than 5 gears in the gearbox to work effectively at very low speeds. Whether Chrysler will address that with a different cam profile or different engine management software (its already got VVT after all) for the Wrangler will, in my opinion, be a very critical component of whether the Wrangler stays a capable- maybe the MOST capable- off-the-showroom-floor offroader you can buy, or just another poser SUV that looks more capable than it really is. I don't mind so much that they replaced the Cherokee with a more street-friendly vehicle (Liberty), but if they take ONE ounce of offroad capability away from the Wrangler, a lot of Jeep devotees will be very angry. For example, it really needs those solid axles, and if you don't like the way they work on-road, don't buy one.

Well, colour me severely un-impressed. a trues Jeep, like the Wrangler, doesn't need a high-revving, high-powered DOHV V-6 to do what it's designed to do. It needs a torquey, low-revving engine...the 4.0 I=6 was the best at that, but the 3.8 OHV engine was a good substitute to deal with emmission issues.

It's not a real 'Jeep' now - they might as well lower it 6 inches, and put low-pofile 'sport tires on it. Idiots.

You got your comments in before me, but we definitely agree. But I will say that I *think* they can use the Pentastar without losing capability, IF they are willing to broaden out its torque curve at the cost of its impressive peak HP number. Probably just with a software change.

And FWIW, what I've always been told is that it wasn't emissions that killed the 4.0, it was front-end crash requirements. In front-end collisions the inherently long inline-6 block would intrude too much into the passenger compartment more than new requirements would allow, and working around it would require lengthening the nose of the truck more than was practical.

Originally Posted By: meep
SteveSRT8 - do you have more info? I'd love to read more if you have good solid sources to recommend!

Join us anytime at 300cforums.com for a wealth of info on the entire LX/LC family.

I also go to Allpar.com for much info.

One of the coolest guys on the planet, Builder Bill, who owns Paramount performance can tell you everything you want to know.

He builds NAG1's with an UNLIMITED warranty!!! Yes, I said unlimited. Used in some 9 second Hemi's.

And just a quick note. The NAG1 has an ultra low first gear ratio. I'm betting it would work well off road.

Last edited:
It's not a real 'Jeep' now

That's been said everytime there is a change to the Jeep, from when Chrysler bought AMC, from when they killed the CJ, from when they (re) added independent from suspension, etc.

I wonder if it was a real Jeep when Ford was awarded the WW2 contract instead of Bantam.

Well we went a bit OT but with some great info, keep it coming. From what I've read about the Pentastar 90% of torque is available from 1,600 to 6,400. I would imagine with a different cam and some other tweaks that can change. The horsepower is more than ample, time will tell. I'm anxious to see the feedback on the Jeep Forums. Plenty of people are planning on ordering this Monday to be first in line, time is on my side. I'm sure there will be plenty of reports in upcoming months.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: chubbs1

You mean Chrysler, not GM...... The "merger" between Chrysler and Daimler happened in 1995.

The "takeover" actually occurred in 1998.

Well we went a bit OT

Sorry if I contributed to the OT. Back on point, I like the W5A580 in my Nitro.

Originally Posted By: cbear
Well we went a bit OT

Sorry if I contributed to the OT. Back on point, I like the W5A580 in my Nitro.

Not at all! We started talking about the engines, etc. Keep it coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back