Removable poles in concrete/asphalt

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

My grandparents always had pipes that they brought out, put in the ground, and constructed a clothesline.

My back yard gets FULL sun, and it bakes my car. Im thinking of trying to build a removable canopy to create some shade over my cars. I can attach tarps to my garage and to a few poles to support from either side.

My issue is that I have a driveway, a paver patio, and then grass of course. The poles would need to go into the ground in an area where there is asphalt. How do I make correct holes, line them with another pipe or something to keep the shape, and then support the poles properly without ripping up the asphalt? Is this doable?

My thought was that the pipe Id use as the actual vertical would go inside of a bigger pipe in the ground. The pipe in the ground would be just big enough to hold the vertical tightly. I'd drill/cut a proper size hole in the asphalt, and then take the pipe and drive it into the ground with a mallet. The dirt in the middle could be removed with some long spoons, jets of water and perhaps a few other things.

Is this ridiculous? Is there a better way? Would prefer to not tear up sections of asphalt.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Torino
Its done ALL the time. Carry on. John--Las Vegas

OK, so what's the best way to do it? I figure I need a 1" galvanized pipe for the vertical, so would want a 1.25" galvanized pipe to make the support in the ground. I figure at least 1 foot deep too. Make sense? What's the best way to make a ~1.25" hole in asphalt?

Originally Posted By: crinkles
you can use a post hole digger or hand auger is probably better to get a neater hole.

They make post hole diggers to make 1.25" holes? Hand auger makes sense but still need to get through the asphalt...

You can get a 2" hand auger. How thick is the asphalt?

Anyway, I'd want to encase the mother pipe in concrete to provide good lateral resistance. With time a simple pole in the ground will wear loose. I'd just dig a post hole, set the mother pipe and concrete around it, that way you can finish the concrete at the top to a made good level with the asphalt.

you can even stop the concrete 1" below the asphalt layer and use some cold mix patching to hide the concrete if you don't want to look at it.

Why not just get a portable garage? They have dome shaped ones for a couple hundred bucks. They're used all the time up here and even take the snow. Typically is a frame made of an exhaust tubing type pipe and canvas "tent".

Driveway shape/design wouldn't allow - couldn't acres my other spot.

Need something where the structure could be taken down really easy. Doesn't get easier than a clothesline pole...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back