Mobil 1 0w-20 in 2002 Acura RSX, 2.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay

The lab was WearCheck, NC Mob II report.

Car 2002 Acura RSX
Engine 2.0L, in-line 4, K20A3
Oil Filter Wix 51356
Air Filter Comptech/Uni
Sump Size 5.6 qts
Type of Oil Mobil 1 0w-20
Miles on Car 37,840
Miles on Oil 7,040
Dates in Service Sept. 03 to Jan 04
Makeup Oil .5 qt

code:

Iron 6.3

Nickel 0.6

Chromium 0.2

Titanium 0.1

Copper 3.2

Aluminum 3.8

Tin 0.4

Lead 1.2

'

Boron 128

Calcium 3032

Magnesium 25

Molybdenum 75

Phosphorus 867

Sulfur 2222

Zinc 1031

'

Silicon 12

Potassium 0

Sodium 9.3

Fuel
Glycol
Water
Soot 0

'

Oxidation ---

Nitration ---

TBN ---

TAN 3.32

kVis @ 40 52.9

kVis @ 100 9.81

VI 173

particle count graph

There. I think that's everything. Needless to say, I'm pleased with the report. Most of my wear numbers still seem to be trending slightly downward--if that's possible. I changed labs, oil filter brands (formerly M1-110), and I drive slightly more highway miles (~30% highway miles) on this interval, so I didn't include the last interval for a reference.

This is my first report with WearCheck. I'm somewhat dismayed that they didn't report oxi, nit, or TBN. I talked with the lab tech this morning about this and he insists that TAN is a much better indicator for gasoline engines than TBN, and he says that oxi and nit aren't tested unless there's a suspected problem. He says those two tests aren't very reliable for synthetic oils.

This is as good as it gets IMO. Mobil 1 0w-20 is becomming their best oil. It hasn't had ONE bad UOA.
shocked.gif
It thickend just barely into a 30wt. I wouldnt change a thing. For a 20wt oil, this is the one.
wink.gif

[ January 29, 2004, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Ok, Ok - you guys have finally convinced me! As soon as the temperature gets above freezing here (or even close to it
frown.gif
), I'm dumping my M1 0w-30 and putting in the 0w-20 I bought. I did get a UOA from Blackstone for the last batch of 0w-30, and it was pretty good - I just haven't got around to posting it yet.

I still don't buy the argument that the 20 weight is necessary, but that's a whole other issue. Since my engine calls for it, and the UOA's have been so good, I might as well use it.

cool.gif

I wouldn't recommend this oil for an engine where the manufacturer specs 30-weight.
smile.gif

Honda's K20A3 seems to return good wear numbers on 20-weights. It has roller cam followers, tight clearances, and a very strong, rigid crank and block.

I wouldn't go as far as recommending this oil be used in an LS1, but it definitely works well in the Ford and Honda engines which call for 5w20.

quote:

Originally posted by ZiTS:
Ok, Ok - you guys have finally convinced me! As soon as the temperature gets above freezing here (or even close to it
frown.gif
), I'm dumping my M1 0w-30 and putting in the 0w-20 I bought. I did get a UOA from Blackstone for the last batch of 0w-30, and it was pretty good - I just haven't got around to posting it yet.

I still don't buy the argument that the 20 weight is necessary, but that's a whole other issue. Since my engine calls for it, and the UOA's have been so good, I might as well use it.

cool.gif

There have been numerous 5w-20 reports from vehicles calling for 5w-20 that have been very good (dare I say excellent). This is another notch in the 5w-20 belt.

Seems some of the manufacturers are really boosting the formulation of their xW-20 over what they may normally do for their other vis oils. Pennz GII+/GIII, Motorcraft blend and M1...these 20 weights all seem to be excellent oils.

Mikep

Very good report. I've noticed a bunch of good Mobil 1 reports lately. Wonder if Mobil is tweaking since the 30 wts seem a bit thicker and iron numbers don't seem as high as they were before. If these types of reports keep rolling in, I may go back to M1.

I'm not so sure I'd use xw-20 in any low-revving engine. TooSlick's UOA shows that engines that live live on the low-end of the RPM spectrum are subject to more wear when used at low RPMs.

OTOH, 20w oils look like a great choice for newer higher-revving 4cyl models to maximize efficiency and engin life.

quote:

Originally posted by mikep:
Seems the key is using the 20w in vechiles that specifically call for it.
Mikep

For the most part, I do agree with you. I should more clearly define the lugging aspect...our new vehicle with the Honda 3.5L V6 sees 1000-1100RPM strains while going up some steep hills. The gearing is such that it doesn't downshift right away--almost like it's trying to stay in the highest gear--then it will downshift a second or two later. The lugging is present. The extra wear that happens at that point is the part that concerns me the most.

Hey!!! A low iron from a M1 in a Honda, none the less!!! Maybe things are starting to change at Mobil. Unbelievable wear numbers, plus, that was for over 7K miles? Amazing. I still think 20 weights are just too thin, but I'm old school and have "thicker is better" imbreeding in me.

quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:
Hey!!! A low iron from a M1 in a Honda, none the less!!! Maybe things are starting to change at Mobil. Unbelievable wear numbers, plus, that was for over 7K miles? Amazing. I still think 20 weights are just too thin, but I'm old school and have "thicker is better" imbreeding in me.

I think the 0w20 formulation of Mobil 1 is definitely got a better additive package in it, since the trend seems to be that it shows a lot lower iron and lead than the reports we see with their 5w30 or 10w30.

I did a search today and looked at a bunch of 5w20 and 0w20 UOAs from here, for all brands, and there were a lot of reports with zero or 1ppm of lead in them!

So if you've got a car which calls for 5w20, I would not be so quick to think this viscosity is just for CAFE reasons only.

If I can locate some Mobil 1 0w20, I might just give it a try in my mom's 94 Probe GT.

I have a good baseline of how M1 0w-20 works in my K20A3 with this run and the last 7k interval also. I'm still interested in experimenting with other oils.

I have some Synergyn 0w-20 on hand and some Chevron 5w-20. Which should I try next?

I didn't know motor oil had sufur (Sulfur 2222). How much more sulfur does a gear lube have?

quote:

Originally posted by wrangler:
I didn't know motor oil had sufur (Sulfur 2222).

Yep, most labs don't report this, but Wearcheck does.

My VOA of GC 0w30 from Wearcheck Canada showed 3444ppm of sulfur.

quote:

Yep, most labs don't report this, but Wearcheck does.

My VOA of GC 0w30 from Wearcheck Canada showed 3444ppm of sulfur.

At what point/amount does it become corrosive? What level do gear lubes have? Is it getting used as an EP additive?

The question I have is are the 20wts simply better built oils. M1 0w-20 isn't the only 20wt showing good wear. Motorcraft and I think Pennzoil makes a decent one. Again it goes back to formulation and how they are tweaking the chemistries and base oils and all that stuff because you know I just know so much about it bc you know I'm a organic chemist.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back