Any negatives to using Techron?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that there are many people out there that swear by Techron, but is there any kind of downsides at all to using it?What about over the long term, it is harder at all on engine seals, or any other internal components of an engine than running conventional gas through it? I have never used any kind of additives before in my car, to be honest I always though most of them were just [censored] in a can, so I guess I am just wanting some kind of reassurance to actually pour some in my car.
smile.gif

If I do put in some Techron, what is the reccomended number of full tanks I should go through before changing the oil?

I really doubt techron would hurt anything seal wise. I know BMW approves it for use in their cars, as do a few other manufacturers. Techron is in Chevron gasoline, and many other gas companies have similar additives (Shell for one uses a very similar nitrogen based compound).

I have never scheduled it around my oil changes, but I know many people try and put it in a tank and then change the oil when the tank is empty (and the techron is gone).

I always use fuel injector cleaner late in my OCI, so I can change the oil out and get in fresh oil, so yes I plan for that but some don't. I do not think there is a big advantage to using it more than once before every change especially if you use top tier gas. So, basically do your cleaning toward the end of the oil run so you can get rid of any junk that gets in the system. RedLine SI-1 is a great product also.

Last edited:
Porsche approve Techron but state not to do more than 5 treatment per OCI.

I've got some Valvoline with PEA, and the bottle also says not to do more than 5 per oil change...two bottles, and the oil AutoRx darkened markedly.

Im suprised at the 5x per oci limit number. It seems 3-4 too high.

If you are fouling up that bad, seems there is another issue.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

+1

I too share a similar concern. I kept reading about people using techron just before an oil change. Coincidentally, the first time I used techron my transmission failed and the trans oil was all burnt, which never happened before in my 10yr old ody. I am pretty sure the Techron did not contribute to the trans failure, but its always in the back of my mind. I have never used it on my new car.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

My thoughts exactly.

It says right on the bottle, use every 3-4k or somesuch.....

BUT, then again, maybe we shouldn't be surprised
wink.gif

As motor oils improve, and car manufacturers change up their engines, and maintenance schedules, we got some people running 15k oil changes......that's what Chevron is referring to?

But yea, I can't see running 5 bottles of Techron through my vehicle in a 3000 mile OCI! lol.

But yea, the old adage seems to be that some of the injector cleaner could potentially "leak past" the rings, and end up in the oil or somesuch......

What might occur if a full bottle treatment was used every tankfull ?

Just curious as to in extreme use, what may be damaged.

Well, the thing is I am approaching 50K miles and never put any kind of additive in the car. I figured it couldn't hurt, but then again it makes me wonder if it wil be worth chancing since I use only Shell 93. I was just curious to see if anyone has seen oil consumption or a seal leak suddenly appear after using it, due to Techrons cleaning abilities or contecnt damaging seals

I did some looking around, and supposeldy this it what makes up Techron

Chevron Techron:
30-50% hydrotreated petroleum distillates
10-25% Stoddard Solvent (similar to kerosene)
5-10% Naptha
1-5% Benzene
.1-.5% Xylene

Originally Posted By: Vikas
But why does a gas additive end up in your oil?

Same reason why small amounts of gas get into your oil.

Originally Posted By: sceco5

Chevron Techron:
5-10% Naptha
1-5% Benzene
.1-.5% Xylene

Are you sure? What about the active ingredient: polyetheramine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Techron

Given the concentration of Techron in the gas and given the trace amount of gas ending in the oil, can somebody honestly say that Techron would adversely affect your oil? Physics and Maths just don't support that conjecture.

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: sceco5
Well, the thing is I am approaching 50K miles and never put any kind of additive in the car. I figured it couldn't hurt, but then again it makes me wonder if it wil be worth chancing since I use only Shell 93. I was just curious to see if anyone has seen oil consumption or a seal leak suddenly appear after using it, due to Techrons cleaning abilities or contecnt damaging seals

Chevron Techron:
5-10% Naptha
1-5% Benzene
.1-.5% Xylene

RIGHT! AS if MSDS (as the name implies: medical safety data sheet) is going to reveal the secret ingredients within.

Also: Unless you have a rather severe fuel-dilution issues going on (mixed with oil), otherwise: how would you come to the conclusion that an FI cleaner to clean your oil seal? Where do you see oil and gas (or gas-related additives) mix?

**Curious**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back