Redline Oil 5w30 -- 3,040 miles -- 07 Civic Si

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pulled a sample from the ol' beater.

Glad to see that the Viscosity is finally within spec, although from what i heard about Redline's 5w30 from a few members on here (you know who you are) I expected to see a bit thicker juice but regardless, i'm happy with the viscosity part... for the most part.

This particular 3,000 have been rough. I'm running the car harder then ever and with the Summer HEAT here, the AC is blasting pretty much all the time vs all the previous UOA reports where i would only run the AC on Sundays for a grand total of roughly 100-200 miles at most, per 3,000 miles.

I'm not too worried about the 1ppm increase in wear rates (its only 1ppm, haha) since like i said, i ran it HARD with this oil.

Thoughts?

Si-Redline5w303000milesUOA.jpg

Code:
OIL Redline Oil 5w30

MILES IN USE 3,040

MILES 94,222k

SAMPLE TAKEN 6/1/11

Make up oil 1qt

ALUMINUM 2

CHROMIUM 0

IRON 6

COPPER 1

LEAD 2

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 656

NICKEL 0

MANGANESE 0

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 0

BORON 112

SILICON 21

SODIUM 13

CALCIUM 2820

MAGNESIUM 7

PHOSPHORUS 1219

ZINC 1385

BARIUM 0

SUS VIS 210ºF 59.1

cSt @ 100ºC 9.96

FLASHPOINT ºF 395

INSOLUBLES 0.3

WATER 0

TBN 7.2

TAN 4.8

ISO Code 16/15/12

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Running a heavier than specified oil, which is what you're doing with RL 5W-30 (which is really a 40wt oil with it's HTHS vis of 3.8cP), also makes no sense.

Originally Posted By: Artem

I choose Redline for its robustness as i hope it will not shear into a 20 grade after only 3,000 miles.

Talk about a belt and suspenders complex!
The VII free RL 5W-30 has no chance of shearing down even into a heavy 30wt let alone a 20wt.

Where are you now CATERHAM?
grin2.gif

As you can see, somehow, the monster engine in my Honda Civic has managed to shear the "supposedly" 40 grade oil DEEEEEEEEP into low 30s range after ONLY 3,000 miles of use. (VERY Abusive use, might i add)

What do you have to say about that? I'm dieing to know.

Anyway, i originally was planning to keep using the oil for an additional 1,000 miles but after seeing this report, i'll change it with another fill of the same juice, from the same case and go from there.

It just keeps getting HOTTER over here and i don't want to skimp out on protection while @ 8,600 revs in 100F weather.

The NAPA GOLD air filter has been in place for 2 previous UOA so it seems like it's time for that to go as well in favor of a new unit.

Can someone please explain why the TAN keeps on rising with each new UOA??? I'm lost as to why the oil is getting more acidic with such short OCIs.

confused.gif

A typically excellent report for a Honda engine.

The viscosity loss of 6% is nothing and is likely due to slight fuel dilution and/or Blackstone error.

Your reference to the "viscosity finally being in spec" is not applicable to the unique chemistry of this RL oil. Kinematic viscosity values vary with different oil chemistries. RL's 5W-30 KV values are 20 to 30 percent lower than typical dino and GP III & GP IV synthetics.

As you can see, somehow, the monster engine in my Honda Civic has managed to shear the "supposedly" 40 grade oil DEEEEEEEEP into low 30s range after ONLY 3,000 miles of use. (VERY Abusive use, might i add)

I think Caterham was talking about HTHS and you are talking about 100C KV. Different animals.

Besides, this is a waste to change oil this quickly, and AC use is not "heavy duty" service!

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

I think Caterham was talking about HTHS and you are talking about 100C KV. Different animals.

Besides, this is a waste to change oil this quickly, and AC use is not "heavy duty" service!

I realize there's a difference between the viscosity ratings but i figured it would still show up in the report, had the oil been "thicker" then the previous supposedly "lighter" 5w30s.

I know AC doesn't count as severe service, its the extra heat associated with the AC use vs not using it that i'm talking about. My engine bay saw higher temps in general from the looks of the datalogs from the ECU.

A typically excellent report for a Honda engine.

The viscosity loss of 6% is nothing and is likely due to slight fuel dilution and/or Blackstone error.

Your reference to the "viscosity finally being in spec" is not applicable to the unique chemistry of this RL oil. Kinematic viscosity values vary with different oil chemistries. RL's 5W-30 KV values are 20 to 30 percent lower than typical dino and GP III & GP IV synthetics.

lol.gif
why can't you just admit that i beat this oil into the ground while driving the car like a race car the entire 3,000 miles.

Looking at the viscosity of another Redline 5w30 UOA from a 370Z, (which is also said to be hard on oil) i expected THICKER oil coming outta my car with the supposedly "easy on the oil" Honda engine. haha.

Had i ran the oil for 5k, i think i could have easily broken into the 20s range.

Sorry to say but that report is basically meaningless...doesn't say much about the oil.... to the average driver.

Thank you for your contribution to this thread.

With that mindset, aren't all UOA useless?

Besides, why would i worry about the average driver using the same oil? I'm only concerned about my engine in regards to my driving style/conditions.

Take this report with a dash of salt.

The prior OCI was run down to 8.95cSt with no negative effects. You could have gotten some more miles out of this one and still had good results, IMO.

Way to make me feel worthless, tig.

Maybe I should just toss out all the sample bottles I have and just run PYB for 5k... or is that still "changing it out early"?
33.gif

Perhaps I should just strip off all the engine modifications and return the car to stock form and just be another average Joe blindly taking the car to Jiffy Lube?

Give me a break man. There are so many oils on the market, i want to try them all just for kicks and giggles.

lol.gif
why can't you just admit that i beat this oil into the ground while driving the car like a race car the entire 3,000 miles.
Looking at the viscosity of another Redline 5w30 UOA from a 370Z, (which is also said to be hard on oil) i expected THICKER oil coming outta my car with the supposedly "easy on the oil" Honda engine. haha.
Had i ran the oil for 5k, i think i could have easily broken into the 20s range.

As much as you'd liked to think you "drive it like a race car", you can't on the street without loosing your licence.
I know, I've got a 105 mph speeding ticket on aligator alley to prove it.

Another possible reason for the very modest 6% viscosity loss is the fact that you've got as much as 10 to 15% of the previous oil still in the engine. I say viscosity loss because there is nothing in RL to shear. If you ran the oil for another 3,000 miles, if anything you'd likely have seen a viscosity increase.
As it stands the oil still had the operational viscosity of a heavy 30wt or light 40wt oil.

Since you have an interest in motor oil and driving I'd suggest installing an oil pressure gauge; they're not expensive.
This will enable you to compare the operational viscosities of different oils in real terms as well as establish a viscosity safety margin you're comfortable with.
In so doing, I think you'll find that the lightest, most shear prone 30wt oil you can find will still has sufficient viscosity reserves even after shearing down into the 20wt range.
I think you'll find it quite educational and enlightening.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
The prior OCI was run down to 8.95cSt with no negative effects. You could have gotten some more miles out of this one and still had good results, IMO.

That may be true and I'd gladly run it much longer had the car been driven normally and I was looking to max out my pocket change.

The oil is still in the car and I'm indecisive as whether to keep using it.

I'll most likely drain it and continue using it in another car as I always do with the synthetic juice coming outta this engine.

Funny that you mention my license, which I just got back last year after getting it suspended for a year due to street racing (and I have the 130mph ticket to prove it as well as 3 full pages worth of tickets on my driving record) I've had my license taken away a total of 3 times in the past 5 years so don't tell me I don't drive hard enough on public roads.
grin2.gif

Do you wanna know my insurance rates?
lol.gif

I like how Redline performed in the K Series engine and will do another OCI to get more data before trying out Royal Purple's new HPS line or something... maybe the Amsoil euro 5w30 I have sitting in the garage to compare to Redline.

Way to make me feel worthless, tig.

Maybe I should just toss out all the sample bottles I have and just run PYB for 5k... or is that still "changing it out early"?
33.gif

Perhaps I should just strip off all the engine modifications and return the car to stock form and just be another average Joe blindly taking the car to Jiffy Lube?

Give me a break man. There are so many oils on the market, i want to try them all just for kicks and giggles.

No mention that your engine has been modified from stock in your report. We need all of the info. Also the PYB might serve you well, and Jiffy Lube would be happy to do your oil changes.

Funny that you mention my license, which I just got back last year after getting it suspended for a year due to street racing (and I have the 130mph ticket to prove it as well as 3 full pages worth of tickets on my driving record) I've had my license taken away a total of 3 times in the past 5 years so don't tell me I don't drive hard enough on public roads.
grin2.gif

Do you wanna know my insurance rates?
lol.gif

I like how Redline performed in the K Series engine and will do another OCI to get more data before trying out Royal Purple's new HPS line or something... maybe the Amsoil euro 5w30 I have sitting in the garage to compare to Redline.

With your driving record maybe you should reconsider driving on public roads at all. The speeds you boast of driving is a hazard to all who share the roads where you live. You don't need advise about oil, you need advise about public safety and the well being of other people

You are a menace. I hope I never end up on the same highway as you. I race cars on racetracks where they are supposed to be raced. Street racing is for idiots.

Maybe you should give FL a visit and see how people drive here before telling me to stay off the roads because I put others in danger.

Anyway, this isn't about my driving, its about OIL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back