Oversize Oil Filter for Honda Odyssey 3.5L ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just changed oil and filter for the first time yesterday. Using Amsoil XLM 5W-20 and Amsoil Ea15K13 filter. What a TINY filter! It's not much bigger than the filters I use on my lawnmower engines. Can't go much bigger in diameter due to clearance, but there is plenty of room for a longer filter. Has anyone found an oversize filter for this engine that has the appropriate specs? Already did some searches, but have not found any solid answers yet.

Not sure how long the Ea15K13 filter is, but if it's the 14612(Puro#) you could add some length with the 14610/7317 (Puro/Fram#) equivalents.

Edit, looking at Amsoil xref it seems the Ea15k13 is the same as the 14610/7317, so I know of no longer filter for that application

Last edited:
Older honda V6's use the (fram part#) PH3953A. It is functionally identical. Slightly shorter but significantly fatter than the PH7317 Honda equivalent filter. Compare their specs on Fram's website if you like.

I've been using them for years on my wife's previous Acura 3.2TL and our 09 Odyssey with no problems. They are not a one filter fits all like the 7317 (the fit-all honda size) and as such they won't fit in modern honda 4 cyl engines as they are too fat to fit in the cavity cut out of the oil pan for the oil filter (if that makes sense). Around here the Honda dealer only stocks one oil honda oil filter (which is made by Fram if I'm not mistaken). It's a 7317 clone.

Why risk poor oil pressure by using a bigger oil filter then factory specs?

Unless you plan on running the oil for 10k+ without needing the change the oil filter, the factory sized unit should be good to go.

Just use the PL14610 size filter. As long as you use a good filter like a K&N, PureONE, Mobil 1, WIX, Bosch, etc. you'll have all the filtering quality and capacity that you need.

I plan to do 6500 mile OCIs, for now.It's a VCM engine. Just seem illogical to me for a 3.5 liter V6 engine to use a filter not much bigger than a 750cc lawnmower engine uses. Also, I don't see how a larger capacity filter would affect oil pressure. I run an oversize full flow filter (Amsoil EaO-15) plus a Ralph Wood Motor Guard bypass filter that holds a quart of oil on my 96 Cherokee, and I did not see any change on the oil pressure gauge after I installed it.

As mentioned the 3593A (not 3953A as noted above) or the PL/L14449 (Puro#) will fit older Hondas and some newer Hondas that spec for the 14610/7317 applications. However, the latest generation Accords that spec for the 14610 will NOT fit the extra width of the 14459.

It is shorter but wider and holds a greater volume of oil. You mentioned diameter clearance so I didn't mention the shorter/wider 14449.

If you don't have room for more diameter, then the 14610/7317 is the largest filter app you can use. Unless, you want to go remote, and that's a whole other ball game.

That said, I agree with barlowc, the 14610 should work just fine.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
As mentioned the 3593A (not 3953A as noted above)

Thanks for correcting my amateur dyslexia!

Originally Posted By: Artem
Why risk poor oil pressure by using a bigger oil filter then factory specs?

How is a bigger oil filter going to give poor oil pressure?
21.gif
If anything, a larger filter with more media should give better oil pressure.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
What year is your Odyssey? I've been using an Amsoil EaO44 on our 2006 for a couple years now.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post2236594

2008. I just looked up your 2006 on the Amsoil application guide, and its shows the same filter as my 2008. So, maybe the 44 will work on mine too. But is the relief valve pressure(not sure of the correct terminology) the same on both filters?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 96 Cherokee
What year is your Odyssey? I've been using an Amsoil EaO44 on our 2006 for a couple years now.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post2236594

A nice big, but not too big Ea044 will fit. PM me if you want buy one or more. I can priority mail them to you.

Pablo, Might this also fit a 2011 Honda CRV that calls for the EAO 13? Thanks for your insight and knowledge too?

Originally Posted By: troyb43

Pablo, Might this also fit a 2011 Honda CRV that calls for the EAO 13? Thanks for your insight and knowledge too?

I cannot say with certainty the EAO44 will fit. How much clearance do you have?

That said - you should use a stock filter for a couple more intervals. Using a non-recommended filter is a not cool when under warranty. I need to say that.

OK, apparently the OP's 'can't go much bigger in diameter due to clearance' doesn't apply.

The Fram cross reference for Eao44 is the PH3985(14619 Puro). 'If' the 44 OD is the same as the 3985/14619, that filter is about an inch wider in diameter that the spec'd 14610/7317. And, it is also wider by more than 1/2" in diameter than the 14459/3593A spec'd on older Hondas.

As long as an 1" greater diameter than spec is no issue, should be fine. I know nothing wider than spec will work on the current 2.4L Accord.

Originally Posted By: troyb43

I cannot say with certainty the EAO44 will fit. How much clearance do you have?

That said - you should use a stock filter for a couple more intervals. Using a non-recommended filter is a not cool when under warranty. I need to say that.

My father's vehicle in FL, and I have not been underneath to look at it. I know the Amsoil site only currently lists a Wix for it, but also lists the same Wis and the EAO 13 for the 2010 model with the same engine code. Maybe Amsoil is still in a testing mode for this filter on the new vehicle, not sure. Thanks again for your insight!

Correct. 1" diameter, 1/2" radius. I'd still say that is considerable with the OP mentioning diameter clearance issues.

Clearly he wasn't referring to a diameter clearance restriction similar to the the current Accord 2.4L which cannot accommodate the next size larger 3593A/14459, which is < 3/8" Dia. larger. More what I thought he was referring to.

In any case, that filter should give the extra size the OP is looking for.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
OK, apparently the OP's 'can't go much bigger in diameter due to clearance' doesn't apply.

The Fram cross reference for Eao44 is the PH3985(14619 Puro). 'If' the 44 OD is the same as the 3985/14619, that filter is about an inch wider in diameter that the spec'd 14610/7317. And, it is also wider by more than 1/2" in diameter than the 14459/3593A spec'd on older Hondas.

As long as an 1" greater diameter than spec is no issue, should be fine. I know nothing wider than spec will work on the current 2.4L Accord.

This is great information to have. Thanks to Pablo and Sayjac. I will add it to my list of filters compatible with the Ody. Plenty of clearance on that one. It will likely work on my brother's 2010 TL as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back