Warren Oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm... These guys are cranking out oils under every imaginable brand label so it seems.

Looking at PQI data, it looks to be on par with the big boys, and even has Moly added........ I should be able to pick it up at a bargain price. Anyone have any "Warren Sucks" arguments?

nothing wrong with warren...Their passenger car oil is sn rated and of good quality at a good price for those of US that cant afford pennzoil mobil or warren is a goos alternative

Which Warren? WPP (Supertech) or the old Unilube?

WPP is good... Unilube used to have a spotty reputation.

Has Unilube got an SN/GF5 out yet?

Last edited:
If it is Warren-Unilube,they make many of the oils for places like Dollar General and Family Dollar.They are actually quite expensive considering they make many house brand oils.

Their is an ad in the Family Dollar for American XT Motor Oil,which I think Warren-Uni makes and it is $2.75 a quart.That is cheaper than some but for an oil that isnt really known,you can get Super Tech and have an idea that you are getting a good oil.

While it may meet SN standards and it probably is a good oil,there isnt really much known about it here.

I only get stuff that is SM or SN GF4 or GF5... that said, this stuff looks like an OK value. I'm game to guinea pig. I service so stink'n many cars that I buy house oil from the indie auto parts store. They deal warren and amalie. I'm sure the house is one of the two.

If PQI says it's ok, I'll take their word for it.

I like the looks of Mag 1, which is a WPP product, and it seems to be identical to the WPP Supertech. The Mag 1 website has pretty detailed PDS's.

I emailed Warren to ask them if Supertech and Mag 1 are in fact identical, and I got a somewhat non-committal answer, although the rep did say that there are three different manufacturers that make Supertech in different regions.

Hi.

One of my close friends is a chemical engineer at Exxon Mobil in Torrance, CA. I am also a chemical engineer, but at Honda. Also in Torrance, CA. In the Southern California region, Exxon Mobil makes Supertech for Walmart. Done deal. It's a good oil. If it's the Walmart name that is throwing you off, then well...that's sensible because it's not a supermajor in the energy industry.

But rest assured. It's good oil. I have never worked with WPP before, but if it meets specifications, then it's also an equivalent performing motor lubricant. I wouldn't hesitate to use it. I have used Sears oil before. It is made by WPP. Says so on the bottle I have here. Great oil.

API and ILSAC have made oil buying easy. Find the symbol your car needs with a bargain price tag.. buy, pour... happy you didn't spend 25% more. I've been running "Generics" in my cars for the last 5 years. No oil related issues. I'm not trying to set any OCI records... Just using cheap conventional that the car's book says is OK... and a good filter. If they all meet or exceed car warranty standards.. What the heck. Let's buy a bargain.

Footnote: By "Generics" I am referring to whatever house brand may meet the requirements. This is usually the house brand of whatever auto parts store I shop at.

Here are the latest PDS for Super Tech 10W-30 and 10W-40 from WPP.

10W-30

Physical Specifications
Procedure Test Min Max Typical Results
ASTM D4052 Specific Gravity at 60°F NA NA 0.8717
ASTM D287 API Gravity NA NA 30.83
ASTM D445 Viscosity at 100°C, cSt 9.3 ASTM D445 Viscosity at 40°C, cSt NA NA 67.73
ASTM D2270 Viscosity Index NA NA 138
ASTM D1500 ASTM Color NA NA 2.5
ASTM D5293 Cold Cranking Simulator, cP NA 7000 6249
ASTM D5185 Zinc, % mass NA NA 0.085
ASTM D4951 Phosphorus, % mass 0.06 0.08 0.077
ASTM D5185 Calcium, % mass NA NA 0.214
ASTM D5185 Molybdenum, % mass NA NA 0.0079
ASTM D5185 Boron, % mass NA NA 0.023
ASTM D4951 Sulfur, % mass NA 0.5 0.309
ASTM D5762 Nitrogen, % mass NA NA 0.102
ASTM D874 Sulfated Ash, % mass NA NA 0.92
TM
Conventional 10W-30 API Performance SN/GF-5
• Super Tech Conventional Motor Oil contains only the highest quality, hydro-treated lubricating oils and a technologically advanced additive system, which includes detergents, dispersants, viscosity improver, anti-wear and anti-friction agents as well as oxidation and corrosion
inhibitors.
• Reduced friction for excellent protection against wear and improved fuel economy
• High resistance to viscosity and thermal breakdown
• Meets or exceeds the latest North American vehicle warranty requirements API SN and previous API engines classifications SM, SL, SJ, SH
and ILSAC GF-3, GF-4 and GF-5.
12/9/2010

10W-40

Physical Specifications
Procedure Test Min Max Typical Results
ASTM D4052 Specific Gravity at 60°F NA NA 0.8710
ASTM D287 API Gravity NA NA 30.96
ASTM D445 Viscosity at 100°C, cSt N/A N/A 15.33
ASTM D445 Viscosity at 40°C, cSt NA NA 106.5
ASTM D2270 Viscosity Index NA NA 152
ASTM D1500 ASTM Color NA NA 2.5
ASTM D5293 Cold Cranking Simulator, cP NA N/A 6771
ASTM D5185 Zinc, % mass NA NA 0.091
ASTM D4951 Phosphorus, % mass 0.06 0.08 0.079
ASTM D5185 Calcium, % mass NA NA 0.169
ASTM D5185 Molybdenum, % mass NA NA 0.0079
ASTM D5185 Boron, % mass NA NA 0.023
ASTM D4951 Sulfur, % mass NA 0.5 0.315
ASTM D5762 Nitrogen, % mass NA NA 0.102
ASTM D874 Sulfated Ash, % mass NA NA 0.92
TM
Conventional 10W-40 API Performance SN
• Super Tech Conventional Motor Oil contains only the highest quality, hydro-treated lubricating oils and a technologically advanced additive system, which includes detergents, dispersants, viscosity improver, anti-wear and anti-friction agents as well as oxidation and corrosion
inhibitors.
• Reduced friction for excellent protection against wear and improved fuel economy
• High resistance to viscosity and thermal breakdown
• Meets or exceeds the latest North American vehicle warranty requirements API SN and previous API engines classifications SM, SL, SJ, SH
12/9/2010

The Service Pro brand oil we carry where I work is made by Warren Oil (not WPP) and it is pretty inexpensive. I've bought several cases of the 0w-20 full synthetic and the 5w-30 Dexos 1 full synthetic to try out.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
The Service Pro brand oil we carry where I work is made by Warren Oil (not WPP) and it is pretty inexpensive. I've bought several cases of the 0w-20 full synthetic and the 5w-30 Dexos 1 full synthetic to try out.

SP doesn't make their own stuff?

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

SP doesn't make their own stuff?

No, which is backed up by them naming one of their product product data sheets "SP-WarrenOilSpecspackaged.pdf"

It used to be made by Citgo. The bottom right of each page says something along the lines of "SPWNSYNB" The SP is obvious, but the WN means Warren. Back when it was made by Citgo it said CT or something instead of WN.

I am sure it is good advise re. oil but remember it is all SM not Sn which seems to have shaken up some add packs. It is not easy to keep up these days.
Originally Posted By: qdeezie
Looking at PQI data, I have agree, Warren is stout stuff according to those numbers.

Yeah.. Warren UniLube is making the house brand oil I'm using now... PQI stats look solid.

Price is a winner.. And the Warren Dist. Accel brand looks Ok from the PQI specs. I'm thinking that there's nothing to scoff at on either of the two... Other than it's "not a household name".

My dad was a V-man.. without that big red and blue V on the bottle, it would not go in his car... I'm a little different. I just want the API seal and evidence that it's on there legitimately. He's still proud of me following in his tradition of DIY car fixings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back