Thinking about sticking a "Student Driver" badge..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Full title: Thinking about sticking a "Student Driver" sticker badge thing to the rear of my car. A good idea or really really really really stupid idea?

Not that I think I'm a terrible driver but having a "Student Driver" badge in the back might make other drivers more forgiving of my driving. Sometimes, for example, I will coast to a Red Light rather than race to it and then brake hard (this is to save gas and its more comfortable to coast than to brake hard.) Unfortunately, this may annoy other drivers who will tailgate you.

Magnet can be found here: http://www.amazon.com/MagnaCard-Magnetic...8299&sr=8-1

Last edited:
Don't do it. It'll just attract more honking and passive aggressive driving in your direction.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Don't do it. It'll just attract more honking and passive aggressive driving in your direction.

+1. and sadistic people like me will just do everything we can to stress you out and screw with your head.

slowdrive.gif

Without all the copyright lines and stuff is very popular but the student driver emblem will work as well and is quite funny.

License plate

4373364636_52bde6564d_m.jpg

In general, anonymity is a good thing.
This is why vanity plates and unique paint work are a bad idea for a daily driver.
The people who quickly forget what they view as your driving felonies may remember that special badge.
Given the general level of incivility in our society, I would avoid anything that calls any special attention to you, or makes you more memorable.
Drive as you please, stay out of the way of faster traffic on the interstates and rest assured that the guy who threatened you with death this morning won't remember you this afternoon.
But he might remember the badge, and he might be a psychopath.

Slow drivers are significantly less annoying if they are being slow in the slow lane. Exercise lane courtesy (slower traffic keep right) and stay anonymous as others have suggested.

As others rightly pointed out, with all the road ragers and crazies on the road, you don't want to be identifiable to the psycopath that you PO'd yesterday, but that couldn't catch up to you (or didn't have time to follow you home and shoot you).

My wife thought vanity plates would be cute, but we just go with the anonymous plate #s issued by the DMV for just this reason.

I always coast to a stop light. it has [censored] off one guy enough to get out of his car and challenge me to a fight. I keep a torque wrench in the truck for defense purposes. Minnesota nice, my rear end!

I've never had issues with other drivers from coasting to a red light. My foot is off the gas the second it turns red. Dince I drive a stick or my motorcycle, I hate people who come to a full stop, then 10 seconds later creep up.

If you actually accelerate to a red light and mash the brake pedal at the last moment, you need group therapy.

I put a "Student Driver" sign on the back of the '86 Chevette I was driving in 12th grade. I was usually the most aggressive driver on the road - yes, even in a Chevette - and I looked like I was barely 16, so I found humor in the irony. It only lasted a couple of days before my father noticed and made me remove it. He didn't want me drawing unnecessary attention to myself.

Instead, I put a "Turbo Intercooled" badge on the back and a "5.0" on the front driver's side to get my fill of ironic humor. He allowed those, and even left them on when he sold it. It made the car easy to identify when he saw it rolled at a wrecking yard a year later, badges intact!

Saw one of those stickers on a pickup truck a few years ago. But the owner had modified it a bit. He cut out the "DE" and spliced it back together so it read "STUNT DRIVER"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back