Why do road bikes still use side pull brakes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've occasionally ridden my dads road bike but, maybe a knowledgeable individual can chime in. Mt. bike bmx bike etc have all gone to V-brakes, but still to this day everything from a low end road bike to $8,000 Kestrel triathlon bikes have side-pull or cantilever brakes. Why is this? The v brake is much easier to modulate, over any center-pull or side-pull (cantilever brake).

Because road bikes have skinnier tires and they can get away with side-pull brakes. 'Cross and MTBs need V or cantilever brakes because their wheels are wider.

I have SRAM Rival brakes to replace some junk OEM Lee Chi ones, I like the SRAMs way better.

Originally Posted By: 97prizm

I've occasionally ridden my dads road bike but, maybe a knowledgeable individual can chime in. Mt. bike bmx bike etc have all gone to V-brakes, but still to this day everything from a low end road bike to $8,000 Kestrel triathlon bikes have side-pull or cantilever brakes. Why is this? The v brake is much easier to modulate, over any center-pull or side-pull (cantilever brake).

Braking is not too critical for road biking, compared to say mountain biking and cyclocross.

Mountain bikes need the quick release on that style brake so you can quickly yank wheels and pack the bike up tighter in your 20 year old Jetta.
lol.gif

Or so you can patch flats on the trail.

I can't remember the last time I had V-brakes.
On a mountain bike its been disc as long as I can remember almost.
Since the early 2000's anyways.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

Braking is not too critical for road biking, compared to say mountain biking and cyclocross.

They do still work though, surprisingly well compared to the old sidepulls I had on my BMX bike 20 years ago. Maybe the question is why do they work so well on a road bike?

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I can't remember the last time I had V-brakes.
On a mountain bike its been disc as long as I can remember almost.
Since the early 2000's anyways.

I still have V-brakes on my bikes, even did some O-cup downhill races with them and never really felt the need for discs here in the flatlands... Touring with luggage in the mountains though, then a road bike could probably use discs, but also folks have been doing that for a long time with rim brakes too.

I've ridden both types....and I can tell you that when on a road bike brakes are every bit as important. Ever been on a super fast downhill road going over 50mph.....and suddenly the road curves sharply? The pucker factor is incredible.

I would say brake importance on a road bike has everything to do with the terrain you ride. For the manner and environment most roadies use, the tires are overwhelmed before the brakes are in a situation that requires scrubbing lots of speed.

My road bike has many thousands of mountain and flat miles and still has the original pads, for what it's worth. I use the brakes only a few times on any given ride.

Originally Posted By: cchase
I would say brake importance on a road bike has everything to do with the terrain you ride. For the manner and environment most roadies use, the tires are overwhelmed before the brakes are in a situation that requires scrubbing lots of speed.

My road bike has many thousands of mountain and flat miles and still has the original pads, for what it's worth. I use the brakes only a few times on any given ride.

I understand what you are saying and basically agree. I think my main point is that a road bikes brakes are easily equal in importance in stopping the bikes as any MTB or Cross. Perhaps just not as frequently. But frequency doesn't always equal importance. I've had plenty of road ride where if I didn't stop....and stop fast....I'd be dead.

I disagree with your statement that V-brakes are better than side-pull brakes.
Put a good V-Brake up against a good set of dual-pivot side-pulls and they should be comparable in power.
Cantilevers (of which V-brakes are a subset) have the
advantage of mud clearance and tire clearance over side-pulls but not power.
Of course that is all else being equal: Same rim braking surface finish & cleanliness, same brake pads (a good set of brake pads makes a huge difference - IMHO (and Sheldon Brown's) you can't go wrong with Koolstop Salmon pads), etc.

What you should be asking is why all bikes haven't gone to discs. The blame for that lies with the UCI (Union Cyclist International) who are responsible for determining what can and cannot be used in competition. They just recently allowed discs in cyclocross racing and bikes and they seem to be taking off there.

Last edited:
v-brakes don't work well at all with road levers--the cable pull leverage points are different, and it pretty much provides on/off braking with little modulation. That's why cyclocross guys use cantilevers and not v-brakes; they work poorly with road levers.

A modern dual pivot brake modulates really well with a road lever, and provides enough stopping power to lock up the wheel if you really need to. Ultimately, your tires end up being the limiting factor with your stopping distance, not the brakes. I will say that road brakes have come a long way singe the days of single-pivots.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
I've ridden both types....and I can tell you that when on a road bike brakes are every bit as important. Ever been on a super fast downhill road going over 50mph.....and suddenly the road curves sharply? The pucker factor is incredible.

you're supposed to look ahead to see the upcoming terrain. If a car pulls out in front of you... different story.

I do both mountain biking and road biking....bombing down some steep technical terrain (and maintain speed for the next immediate climb) puts a lot more lot on brakes, which necessitates a heavier duty system on a mountain bike.

Not saying that mountain bikes don't need heavier duty brakes....nor that they aren't used more frequently. What I am saying is that as a former cyclist (of all types of riding) this statement...."Braking is not too critical for road biking, compared to say mountain biking and cyclocross"....gives the impression that braking ability isn't critical on a road bike. That is where I am not in agreement.
As far as looking ahead? Of course you do. But occasionally, as any well ridden rider knows, there are times when a surprise situation arises requiring CRITICAL braking ability.

Originally Posted By: JOD
v-brakes don't work well at all with road levers--the cable pull leverage points are different, and it pretty much provides on/off braking with little modulation. That's why cyclocross guys use cantilevers and not v-brakes; they work poorly with road levers.

A modern dual pivot brake modulates really well with a road lever, and provides enough stopping power to lock up the wheel if you really need to. Ultimately, your tires end up being the limiting factor with your stopping distance, not the brakes. I will say that road brakes have come a long way singe the days of single-pivots.

SRAM and Shimano says it's A-OK to use cantilever brakes on STI or DoubleTap controls. After all, cyclocross bikes use road components anyway.

Originally Posted By: nthach
Originally Posted By: JOD

SRAM and Shimano says it's A-OK to use cantilever brakes on STI or DoubleTap controls. After all, cyclocross bikes use road components anyway.

Cantilevers, yes--V-brakes, no. V-brakes use a different cable pull ratio than cantilevers. I was working in a shop during the advent of V-brake introduction, so I actually remember the 2-position mountain bike brake levers which would work with both types, along with specific "v-brake" levers. Road levers will really only work with cantilevers, though.

Originally Posted By: Surestick
What you should be asking is why all bikes haven't gone to discs. The blame for that lies with the UCI (Union Cyclist International) who are responsible for determining what can and cannot be used in competition. They just recently allowed discs in cyclocross racing and bikes and they seem to be taking off there.

I wonder just how long it will be until we see them on every machine in the pro road peloton (especially for the mountain stages with 10+ mile long, multi-switchback, rim glue melting descents)??
21.gif

I'm sure some teams/manufacturers have already heavily petitioned the UCI for this change.
wink.gif

Nonsense. There are plenty of roadie brakes out there with excellent moderation. If the things don't have enough bite, upgrade your pad material. I use Cool Stop salmon colored.

Originally Posted By: andrewg

Yes, and Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back