Danica to go FULL on NASCAR for 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw an article on yahoo today that had commentary from GO daddy sponsors on Danica Patrick's possible move to NASCAR for the 2012 season. What's everybody's take on this? From what I've seen Nascar has taken a big hit in the ratings as more people wake up and realize that left hand turns and 20 year old technology aren't as fun to watch as they previously thought. I'm not bashing nascar, but prefer F1, Baja, WRC, LeMans, FIA GT and so on to to nascar.

I think Nascar is kind of boring, but don't underestimate its following.

As for Danica, she is simply a brand.

Grade "A" marketing on a C+ product.

If you want to see intense racing watch Moto Gp - Often, its a battle down to the last second. Watch Valentino Rossi, Casey Stoner- These guys are gladiators...

It look like the nascar link shows most viewer-ship ratings are down, like other articles in the USA today, and other sources have mentioned. In all honesty her going from IRL to Nascar is like an Airforce officer flying an F-22 Raptor then getting demoted and being forced to fly a piper cub into battle. No thank you.

In comparing F1, IRL, etc to NASCAR. one has always been high tech; and one is purposely "low tech" to keep costs down and respect its heritage of running moonshine.

I'm a little suprised at some of the commentary here. c'mon - they both have engines!!! I've seen us fret over lawnmower engines here!

I can understand the rest but I don't know why they stay on carb engine, at least update it to port injection instead. There is nothing stock about designing a carb engine just for it.

Last edited:
Well Nascar will finally see fuel injected engines for the 2012 season (About freakin time). Yes I realize that one is purposefully "Low tech". If I remember right a recent article that I read compared different racing genres if you will. The article said that if a Nascar team kept expenses to a minimum and didn't crash every weekend they could get by on a measly $15ish million but closer to $30 million budget. On the other extreme ferrari spent $500 million on R&D for the 2008 season, so yeah 15 million is a huge difference between 500 million.

Last edited:
By trying to make Nascar more competitive Nascar has made themselves less competitive.
Current economic conditions combined with the above equals less audience.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
In comparing F1, IRL, etc to NASCAR. one has always been high tech; and one is purposely "low tech" to keep costs down and respect its heritage of running moonshine.

I'm a little suprised at some of the commentary here. c'mon - they both have engines!!! I've seen us fret over lawnmower engines here!

Of course!! ^^^

And IRL is "low tech" as compared to F1, so maybe everyone who is a fan of that series should stop watching it altogether as well??
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
You went full NASCAR, man. Never go full NASCAR.

LOL

Nothing against her I think she is good but, I'm not so sure she is Nascar material and at that not really a girl sport much like what Richard Petty had said a while back on Speed TV.

Originally Posted By: VR1
Nothing against her I think she is good but, I'm not so sure she is Nascar material and at that not really a girl sport much like what Richard Petty had said a while back on Speed TV.

You must think this is 1965. 3K OCIs and girls can't race. Wrong on both counts.

I never said she could not race because she can but, its more of a boy sport sorry but, its true. It be like a guy having a home decor channel I would have to question that just a little. 3K OCI's are not a bad thing at all there your friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back