2006 BMW 330i: Common Issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on guys, give this poor guy a break. Before he has a family if he really gets the job that pays 50k this is the time for him to get a bit of reward that he wanted. Who cares if it is not a super couch like a Crown Vic, or handle like an S2000, or has fuel economy like a Prius, or cheap like a used Saturn, just buy what you want that you can afford and pick up chicks with it.

If we are all going to drive only the most rational transportation all those SUVs, muscle cars, V8, RWD, etc would have been crushed by now, and everyone would be driving Civics and Accords (or their equivalents).

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Come on guys, give this poor guy a break. Before he has a family if he really gets the job that pays 50k this is the time for him to get a bit of reward that he wanted. Who cares if it is not a super couch like a Crown Vic, or handle like an S2000, or has fuel economy like a Prius, or cheap like a used Saturn, just buy what you want that you can afford and pick up chicks with it.

If we are all going to drive only the most rational transportation all those SUVs, muscle cars, V8, RWD, etc would have been crushed by now, and everyone would be driving Civics and Accords (or their equivalents).

Rational transportation wins. *looks outside at new Civic*

laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I am considering a 2006 BMW 330i with Premium and Sports Packages as my next car. So far, I have found a few cars that are priced between $17-19k with 60-70,000 miles. These are all CPO cars, so they have about a year of warranty left.

I am trying to research common issues with these cars to prepare myself. My understanding is that the electric water pump can fail as the car approaches 100k, which can cost almost $1k. Also, some of the early 330i will experience excessive engine ticking, which requires head replacement.

Aside from those two issues, these cars appear to be quite reliable. Coming from the Saturn, I am used to poor reliability so this one does not have to be perfect.

Does anyone have advice or knowledge they can share about the E90 330i?

Thanks.

Critic, looking at your ownership experience, any stick Honda would be a revelation to you, and you could buy a 5 spd Accord brand new for not too much more than a trouble prone German status symbol.
Now, if you really want a BMW, find a nice e30 or e36.
They're plentiful in CA.
These are usually much easier and cheaper to maintain than later BMWs.
This is why I have an e36, although I could have written a much larger check.
If you really want that 330i, understand that you are moving into a level of maintenance and repair expense you have no prior experience in.
A Saturn is a reliable jewel compared to a late BMW.

Originally Posted By: addyguy

This is an easy indicator of people who are just after the 'image' of the car, and not what the car can actually do...Critic clearly isn't a 'driver'.

Try driving in my area-- Silicon Valley, or worse, LA and tell me if you still want to drive a stick after spending a week in traffic.

People buy sports sedans for a number of reasons. For me, it's the handling and steering feel. Also, many manufacturers are going to DCTs because they have both the edge in shift speed and efficiency. Yes, it is not a true manual, but driving one in densely populated areas just isn't realistic.

I drive routiney in DC traffic, NYC and Philly traffic too. One of the most densely populated areas in the world. Wouldn't give up stick for a moment.

I bought my 91 318i with a flood title to teach myself to drive stick (right after graduating college) Now nearly 10 years, 60k miles later, the subframe creaks and the undercarriage is rusty, and I have too many cars, but just can't fathom giving it up.

I bought it and learned stick instantly, and it has been great ever since - a trusty friend. Mine doesn't have the plastic cooling system issues like the newer ones, but it is great.

Where I was trying to get at is that BMW sticks are about the easiest to drive in the industry... Aok and well geared for smooth driving in traffic too - do it all the time. Find one with stick I'd buying one...

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: IndyIan

I think the key point is they want to drive a BMW, not be seen in one... Chris142 deals with all the folks who want to be seen in one it seems.
I'm not convinced a normal BMW is all that special driven on the street compared to alot of cars anymore, but to each his own.

This may be true. However, carving the road to Windermere from Bracebridge in a BMW would be a surreal experience. And is a trip I make almost weekly in the summer.

I am a person who loves driving.

That's on 118? Surreal in any BMW? I think you'll love driving an M5 but I've got to think that it will make normal windy roads even with bursts of speed of 50km/h over, not very challenging... An old 318 on skinny snowtires on a cold wet road would be more fun/challenging and you won't lose your license if the law is around.
On a track day at Mosport though, your M5 will be worth every penny! Pulling through the gears on the back straight will be amazing...

Anyways, I'm sure The Critic would enjoy a 330i for all its qualities, driving and image-wise, and he has the skills to keep it running well without costing himself a fortune.

Oh God no, not 118, LOL! Windermere Rd. It has a lot of very sharp bends that are fun to push through hard if you know the road.

If you are in the area, I'd suggest taking it. It is a lot of fun!

I say do what you want. Looking back on the car(s) I bought when I first graduated college and got a job -- well, if I could go back again I would've bought something more fun and probably been happier about it overall. So do it before you end up like me, a few years down the road, with a good but boring car you can't justify replacing
smile.gif

That said, on the BMW specifically:

I'm gonna side with everyone saying to skip the AT. I'm on the central coast and lucky enough not not have to drive in heavy traffic every day but I have driven in heavy traffic and would not give up my MT (as long as it's a good MT). At least find one to test drive first.

Personally, I wouldn't get a new BMW. I have co-workers who've had them and I think I'd be too afraid of reliability problems, and wary of things like lack of a dipstick. I may be a little paranoid though, and I'm not sure which problems were worked out in which models.

I know you've been thinking about this for a while though. If you get a job that pans out so you can afford it, buy one and have fun!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Where I was trying to get at is that BMW sticks are about the easiest to drive in the industry... Aok and well geared for smooth driving in traffic too

OT: I recently drove a 2010 Mercedes C300 Sport with a 6-speed manual. For normal driving, it kicked the pants off of every other manual car I've driven, including the E9x 3-series. Everything was smooth, easy, flexible, forgiving, and yet responsive enough in the key ways; the total experience was absolutely sublime. If all I ever did was commute in traffic, I would take one over any other execu-mobile any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

How was the gearing though? Ive found BMW to be better geared than other cars, like, my wife;s integra, such that there is superior flexibility for selecting gears at low speeds and getting moving without a lot of lurch or need to double clutch everytime...

Big problem, the car was sold. The other cars in the area are priced quite a bit higher, so I may end up looking at a 08 328i.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
How was the gearing though? Ive found BMW to be better geared than other cars, like, my wife;s integra, such that there is superior flexibility for selecting gears at low speeds and getting moving without a lot of lurch or need to double clutch everytime...

Gearing was great, as far as I could tell. The engine is incredibly flexible, too. It wasn't just that I never found myself in the wrong gear; I sort of had the opposite problem: at least two gears felt good at any given time, and I couldn't decide which one to use.

Big problem, the car was sold. The other cars in the area are priced quite a bit higher, so I may end up looking at a 08 328i.

Not too bad a problem to have. Apparently later model years had most of the kinks from '06 worked out. You'll be down 25 hp, but I doubt you'd miss it.

Darn! You have to settle for 'only' a BMW 328!

:p

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
OT: I recently drove a 2010 Mercedes C300 Sport with a 6-speed manual. For normal driving, it kicked the pants off of every other manual car I've driven, including the E9x 3-series. Everything was smooth, easy, flexible, forgiving, and yet responsive enough in the key ways; the total experience was absolutely sublime. If all I ever did was commute in traffic, I would take one over any other execu-mobile any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Yeah, I've been pleasantly surprised with handling and steering response of the wife's C300 Sport, despite the 4-matic being a bit heavier. Alas, the 7-speed auto tranny in hers spoils the fun, and trying to control it manually is an exercise in futility. If you want to squeeze the performance out of it, you're better off putting the trans in "S" mode and treat the gas pedal as an on/off switch. I can imagine this car being reasonably fun with a stick.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
A slightly used BMW is a better car for the same money than a new Honda.

I've had at least a couple of both, and I'm not so sure about that.
I like BMWs.
Fun to drive, stylish in a way no Honda ever is, plus RWD, and a far more pleasant clutch and shifter than any recent Honda.
OTOH, if you need an only car daily driver, a new Honda is always a better choice than any BMW.
It also depends upon the owner's attitude.
I think Critic probably has the right attitude, and he's probably done enough research to understand the potential pitfalls of BMW ownership.
Still, if I were in a position where I were really concerned about cost of ownership, and really needed every day realiability, I know what I'd buy, and I wouldn't be getting any copies of Roundel in the mail.
OTOH, I've reached an age where the notion of limping the car home and then having to work on it to get to work the next day is no longer acceptable.
I have a toy BMW.
I don't know that I'd rely on one as my sole means of transportation.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Never cared for the BMW ride. Wasn't anything special to me

LOL!

and make that Bimmer, and Benz

Well, if they had run-flats, I can understand. The E90s I've driven and ridden in were very harsh and unsettled over sharp bumps. It was easy to tell that there's a well-controlled suspension under there just begging for some decent tires.

Originally Posted By: rpn453
Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Never cared for the BMW ride. Wasn't anything special to me

LOL!

and make that Bimmer, and Benz

Well, if they had run-flats, I can understand. The E90s I've driven and ridden in were very harsh and unsettled over sharp bumps. It was easy to tell that there's a well-controlled suspension under there just begging for some decent tires.

I agree with your assessment of the suspension completely.

My sister has an 06 330xi that spends more time in the shop than on the road, and it's pampered in all ways. Most recently for a new steering column...

They are great cars, I came close on a 750I not to long ago.

Like any high end car out of warranty figure $1k-$3k a year to run it.

Just because they cost as much as a Toyota used, don't assume Toyota running costs its still a high end car. Although IMHO they give much more enjoyment than lesser cars if your an enthusiast.

BMW's drive pretty nice, I haven't driven that vintage of 3 series but the one before it was sublime. I test drove a 2011 335CI or whatever they call it, nice car, if not a bit small for my tastes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Autobahn88
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
A slightly used BMW is a better car for the same money than a new Honda.

LOL.. Ain't that the truth..
grin.gif

Except S2000. Many of my friends switch from M3 to S2000 because they have more potential and the M3 is "too easy" to drive but the ultimate handling isn't as good as the S2000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back