Smelling gas on the dipstick

Status
Not open for further replies.
At what percentage of fuel dilution could the average Bitoger smell gas on the dipstick?

I have no issue with it, that I know of, just wondering.
Thanks

Speaking for myself; my nose lied to me on the first OC on my 2010 Kawasaki ATV. I was CERTAIN that I had gas in the oil because I could smell it and my son thought so too. However, when Blackstone tested the oil it had no gas in the oil
Just saying the nose may not be the best tester (at least in my case)
smile.gif

I've always thought used oil smelled a bit of fuel most of the time and wondered the same thing, until I REALLY smelled oil with fuel in it. It's one of those things where you'll know it for sure when you smell it.

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
It doesn't take much fuel in engine oil to be able to smell it. It has a very strong distinctive odor.

This.

I can usually smell the gasoline in the oil if the engine is a carb or TBI V8 engine. If we can see some UOA reports from such engines, that would give me an idea about what concentration of fuel can cause that smell.

I've never not smelled a faint gasoline odor on a dipstick once the oil has been used at all.

Also note the level of the oil.
If you can't see a change, there is not much fuel n the oil.
Oil gets stinky from blowby gases, not just raw fuel.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Also note the level of the oil.
If you can't see a change, there is not much fuel n the oil.
Oil gets stinky from blowby gases, not just raw fuel.

+1

Originally Posted By: river_rat
I've never not smelled a faint gasoline odor on a dipstick once the oil has been used at all.

I agree. I can smell a faint gasoline odor on the dipstick after the oil had been used for 2-3k miles.

Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight
At what percentage of fuel dilution could the average Bitoger smell gas on the dipstick?

I have no issue with it, that I know of, just wondering.
Thanks

WRC:

You have a little different scenario from the average enthusiast, your car is turbocharged. If you have the boost cranked up or just like to run it hard, you are going to get more blowby than a NA engine. This is pretty normal for a boosted engine.

My vehicle with a supercharged engine does the same thing after a period of running. I use Sunoco GT100 in that car and can easily detect the fuel odor.

I wouldnt worry too much, but would treat your performance engine with a little extra TLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back