FL820S to become obsolete?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MNgopher
As I recall, it seems that only the quickie lube filter lines (Pennzoil, Valvoline, etc...) that have done away with the FL820s. They are readily available in every other filter lineup (Fram, Wix and Clones,Purolator, Champ, etc..)

Sorry, I worded it poorly. I was referring only to filters made by Purolator.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Originally Posted By: MNgopher
As I recall, it seems that only the quickie lube filter lines (Pennzoil, Valvoline, etc...) that have done away with the FL820s. They are readily available in every other filter lineup (Fram, Wix and Clones,Purolator, Champ, etc..)

Sorry, I worded it poorly. I was referring only to filters made by Purolator.

I could be (and often am) guilty of not reading a message carefully and getting it backward. Yeah, I think FL820s is not going away for a long, long time. It is a great filter, and so far, the only one with the correct (per Ford spec apparently) bypass valve location. Bypass in dome end lets the oil run over the dirty filter element while bypassing, which can pick up filtered crud and put it back in the engine, especially on the initial surge when the bypass valve opens. Only reasons I can see for dome end bypass is it is easier to construct, and in theory would allow the filter element to extend to the base of the can on a narrower filter.

Along the same lines of this topic:

Took my company-issued work van to Jiffy Lube (I know, I know...the company requires us to take them there) and heard the upstairs monkey yell to the cellar-dweller monkey to "put a 3387A (PF47- equiv.) on it". I said "no, I prefer the 3980 (PF52-size), please". After much rolling of eyes and fiddling about on his computer, he came back and told me that although both numbers are listed as acceptable for this vehicle, the filter company (in the case of this JL that would be "MileGuard", AKA FRAM AKA Honeywell) had consolidated inventory and they no longer offered the 3980. Swell.

I also noticed that the cost, including my company's fleet discount, was now up to almost $42...for 4.5 qts of bulk PYB, a tiny bottom-of-the-line filter, and inflating my tires.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
I also noticed that the cost, including my company's fleet discount, was now up to almost $42...for 4.5 qts of bulk PYB, a tiny bottom-of-the-line filter, and inflating my tires.

I know of more than a few dealers that will send a shop vehicle to a Jiffy Lube and post the receipt in the customer waiting room next to one from the dealer. They specifically ask for synthetic blend, because Motorcraft bulk is a blend. Usually the bills from Jiffy Lube are in the US$70-80 range vs $40 for the dealer.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

I know of more than a few dealers that will send a shop vehicle to a Jiffy Lube and post the receipt in the customer waiting room next to one from the dealer. They specifically ask for synthetic blend, because Motorcraft bulk is a blend. Usually the bills from Jiffy Lube are in the US$70-80 range vs $40 for the dealer.

great tactic! (reciept posting) nothing like fear of spending too much!

when you consolidate inventory and always consolidate with the smaller filter you not only have less inventory but less waste to get rid of! not that i agree but this is the reason i do my changes myself. i don't have a company van however, so i can make my own choice. mike

Last edited:

I can change my own oil using 6.5 qts of Mobil 1 full synthetic (buy at Costco on sale) and a PureOne filter for less $42.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul

If only all vehicles were spec'ed to fit the FL1A. Nice big filter which has been around probably since Ford first developed the 289 CID V8 (later 302, called 5.0L though it actually figures to 4.9L), or some 30-40 years.

A bit of history...

The first Ford vehicles to use the spin on FL-1 type filter was the late 1957 "Y" block 272, 292 & 312(prior was cartridge), possibly the other engines in the Lincoln & Mercury camp switched them as well... The FE series in passenger cars(332, 352 and later on up to 428)introduced in '58 have always used the FL-1...

On filter quality... The anti drain back required by Ford is [censored] in some filters... What happens is the oil siphons out of the filter and on cold restart the engine runs without pressure for a few seconds till the filter refills(and clatters in the process)... For this reason I generally use the Motorcraft filters or some times Purelator's Pure One... I've had a problem with the Purelator Classic, won't use one again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back