Mobil Clean 5000 replaced by "Mobil Super"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to pickup my Subaru's "brand" that I have used consistently from oil change #1, and couldn't find Mobil Clean 5000 at Pep Boys or Advance Auto. Advance Auto guy said it was being replaced by Mobil "Super".

There was once some debate as to if Mobil Clean 5000 might have used a Grp III base oil since the MSDS said severely hydro refined. So I'm wondering if Mobil Super is the same base oil as Mobil Clean 5000 but with a GF-5/SN add pack?

Oh, yeah... I wasn't comfortable with the Mobil Super right then so I picked up the new GF-5/SN formula Havoline 5W30 which Advanced had on sale 5 qts plus filter for $14.99

This topic has been discussed extensively, and virgin analysis has been posted. Clean and Super are pretty similar...

yes there's other topics related to this
wink.gif
Mobil's ever-changing/revolving product name changes
smile.gif

Did you notice the "Mobil Super Synthetic" now too....? kinda crazy....competing with their own "classic"/original "Mobil 1" product line...

Yes similar if you call no moly, no boron, sodium and last but not least a huge
wink.gif
36ppm of hold your hats Titanium. Check the sm version and compare if you can.

...scored a lot of the SM rated mobil clean last month from oreillys for $2/quart...feel good about that

I find all this frequent name changing, formula changing, additive pack changing quite troubling.

Stupid if you ask me. I liked Clean 5000 myself, but using Super now.

Originally Posted By: FiremarshalRob
I find all this frequent name changing, formula changing, additive pack changing quite troubling.

Stupid if you ask me. I liked Clean 5000 myself, but using Super now.

Could not agree more. The MC5K was nice looking oil and I'd been meaning to try it (would have to go south of the border for it)
Oh well, looks like I have to give that up now
laugh.gif

Sounds crazy, but I can tell some difference in how it runs with the Havoline in. Engine feels slightly less smooth above about 2500rpm, which could be due to the 9.7 cSt (100C) of the Havoline vs the MC5000 was 10.7 I think. Subjective? Yes. But I am intricately in tune with how my machines feel (operationally) day to day.
19.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back