Sportster oil for engine & trans/primary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jjones
Yes the only rating is gl-1.Would there be any benefit to use this over a 50w motor oil?Would most of today's 50w motor oil meet the gl-1 specs?I know motor oil does not use gl ratings but the oils that claim to be ok do not have a gl-1 rating

I would use the GL-1 gear oil. There are a lot of additives in a fully formulated motor oil that are not needed in the transmission, and some that could affect clutch performance.

But honestly, for $10 every couple of years, just use Harley's Formula+. My Sportster shifted like butter with it and clutch take up was smooth and linear.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
Yes the only rating is gl-1.Would there be any benefit to use this over a 50w motor oil?Would most of today's 50w motor oil meet the gl-1 specs?I know motor oil does not use gl ratings but the oils that claim to be ok do not have a gl-1 rating

I would use the GL-1 gear oil. There are a lot of additives in a fully formulated motor oil that are not needed in the transmission, and some that could affect clutch performance.

But honestly, for $10 every couple of years, just use Harley's Formula+. My Sportster shifted like butter with it and clutch take up was smooth and linear.

One more thing....my local Harley shop has lots of the sport/trans fluid in stock.How does it compare to the formula+

Originally Posted By: G-MAN

One more thing....my local Harley shop has lots of the sport/trans fluid in stock.How does it compare to the formula+

Never used it. But keep in mind Formula+ was introduced concurrently with the new helical cut gears in the 06 transmission. There has to be a reason why Harley did not continue the old lubricant in the new transmission.

thanks Was looking at online at o'rielly's found wix #51348 and #57348(CHROME) thinking of using this they also sell the mobil 1 vtwin which seem to be most recommended.

Originally Posted By: Lost1
Use the Wix myself- zero problems in my TC96...

Yep, got one on my FXDC right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back