What Maintenance do you do with a 'new' used car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just starting to work on cars again and do things myself after letting the dealer do it for me for many years. I'm about to get a used car - '94 Jag XJS 4.0L 6 cylinder. So I'm looking at what I should do when I get it to check over and preventatively repair/replace. I'm on a Jag forum and getting the service manual for particular so I'm asking in general for whatever cars you get...

What do you do when you get a new used car for maintenance and inspection?

Replace all fluids.
Engine oil, trans, brake, clutch, coolant.
Look for weak belts and hoses, replace as needed.
Maybe pull a plug and see how it looks.
Consider new ignition wires, plus cap and rotor, if it has a distributor.
Check the PCV system.
If you have a temperature gauge (I'm sure the Jag does), look for slow warm-up, indicating the need for a fresh thermostat.
Obviously, this need not all be done in one weekend.
Drive the car, and see what seems to need attention as you use it.
A '94 XJS is a driving project car.
It was pretty much that when it was new.
Treat it as such, and you'll be pleased with your purchase.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Replace all fluids.
Engine oil, trans, brake, clutch, coolant.
Look for weak belts and hoses, replace as needed.
Maybe pull a plug and see how it looks.
Consider new ignition wires, plus cap and rotor, if it has a distributor.
Check the PCV system.
If you have a temperature gauge (I'm sure the Jag does), look for slow warm-up, indicating the need for a fresh thermostat.
Obviously, this need not all be done in one weekend.
Drive the car, and see what seems to need attention as you use it.
A '94 XJS is a driving project car.
It was pretty much that when it was new.
Treat it as such, and you'll be pleased with your purchase.

All of the above plus a compression and vacuum check.These two tests alone will tell more about the condition of the engine ,and hopefully bring extra peace of mind.

Good list. I would add
1. Check tires for irregular wear.
2. Pull wheels and check brake pads / caliper condition / brake lines.
3. Check front end parts for play or wear.

I tell people that they should plan on spending 200 - 500 dollars on a "new" used car ... so don't spend every dime you have on the purchase price.

The mileage would be a big factor in what needs to be replaced. fdcg27 has a good list, I think I'd replace the thermostat regardless though. AITG adds a bunch of other good items. I'd strongly emphasize looking at wear on hoses and belts, their failure can be catastrophic and a '94 is pretty old. Check the water pump as well, and if you are replacing belts then I'd replace the water pump, regardless of condition, at that time. Engine mounts dry out after a while as well, I'd give them a look over. Suspension system as well, for some reason people rarely replace their suspension parts. Clean out the throttle body/intake. If there's any oil on the bottom of the car there could be an easily fixed gasket leak. Oil on the top of the car is generally the valve cover gasket which is easy to replace (oil getting on hoses is bad news).

I'd also suggest is giving that baby a nice wash/pre-wax cleaner/clay bar/polish/wax. I consider waxing the oil change of exterior care; it's cheap and protects something that if it failed would cost you a lot of cash.

I personally would seafoam (through the vacuum line) anything used with over 100k miles, that's just personal though, not really suggesting it.

Have some Techron was going to run through it but I was looking at the Redline site an may see if SL1 is available locally. It has a tick under 89K miles on it. I'll start looking all these things over when I get it.

The only thing that concerns me (and not sure why) is the brake fluid replacement. Bleeding brakes has always made me nervous for some reason.

Forgot to add (and edit time expired) that I do have a full detail planned. Just ordered some raggtop for the rag top and some Dodo Juice carnuba (just seemed right) to top it off.

Originally Posted By: cadfaeltex
I'm about to get a used car - '94 Jag XJS 4.0L 6 cylinder. So I'm looking at what I should do when I get it to check over and preventatively repair/replace.

First, you will need a very large, reusuable oil-absorbent mat.

I understand the uneasiness about bleeding the brake fluid at each wheel, but it is VERY good idea to do this.

Replacement of all the fluids, as mentioned, is also a very good idea.....make sure to research and determine the correct specifications for the fluids you need and make sure that the fluids you purchase meet these specifications.

Originally Posted By: cadfaeltex
I'm just starting to work on cars again and do things myself after letting the dealer do it for me for many years. I'm about to get a used car - '94 Jag XJS 4.0L 6 cylinder. So I'm looking at what I should do when I get it to check over and preventatively repair/replace. I'm on a Jag forum and getting the service manual for particular so I'm asking in general for whatever cars you get...

What do you do when you get a new used car for maintenance and inspection?

I would probably get a hose kit from one of the online vendors, don't forget the water rail hose under the intake manifold;
Pull the throttle body and clean around and behind the throttle valve;
After the throttle body clean set the idle;
change the plugs - this is a ten minute job, if there is any oil in the wells get a valve cover gasket kit and replace the spark plug seals and valve cover seal;
Drain the power steering reservoir and refill with dex 3 ATF;
Make sure there is lubricant in the boots on the steering rack;
Lube all the hinges;
Pull all the engine electrical connectors apart and clean with deoxit or other electrical cleaner;
Check the grounds;
Clean the relay sockets and pins ;
the zf tranny has a drain plug, drain 3 qts of atf and replace with any cheap dex 3 - do this every oil change and the tranny will outlive you. You can drop the pan if you want, but I never found enough in the pan to worry about;
change the diff fluid - my '94 xj12 has a Dana rear end, but yours probably has a Salisbury or zf, so check your manual for the fluid type;
Don't over torque the oil sump plug - it is a huge fastener that invites over torque.

I wouldn't worry about the brakes, ignition components, or cooling for now ( other than hoses and fresh coolant ) unless you have a reason to. The temp gauge should sit one needle width below mid scale, and the oil pressure indicator should sit at mid scale. The car should not leak - if something leaks it needs attention and should be fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back