VW 2.0 TDI reliability/DI gunk issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any reason to believe that the newer 2.0 TDI engine is less susceptible DI intake manifold gunk building issues than the 1.9 TDI or other VAG DI engines are? I feel like the new Golf and Jetta wagons are pretty compelling packages but can't help being a little scared of the TDI engines in general.

OTOH my father in law has a 2005 Jetta with the 1.9 TDI and it's been pretty flawless mechanically AFAIK.

I love the combination of torque, fuel economy, and driving range, but I also like reliable and mechanically sound designs.

Great question maybe they have the design perfected? I'll be following this thread.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Great question maybe they have the design perfected? I'll be following this thread.

+1. Former VW fan who was very disappointed to watch their gradual, downward decline. I would look forward to seeing some indicator they are back on track as I would happily return to the fold if they have act their together again (or when that day comes if they still don't).

Lately I've noticed improvements in styling and more competitive pricing at least.

-Spyder

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rationull
Is there any reason to believe that the newer 2.0 TDI engine is less susceptible DI intake manifold gunk building issues than the 1.9 TDI or other VAG DI engines are?

Very much so. They use post-DPF exhaust for EGR function, hence no soot in the exhaust being used for recirculation. No soot = no gunk.

Interesting, that sounds a little promising. Soot in the EGR couldn't have been the only problem though, given the problem affects gas DI engines too, could it?

Most DI gunk problems I've heard about are in newer gasoline engines. DI diesel engines have been around for a while, and, AFAIK, don't suffer from the same problem.

The new US 2.0 TDI with enhanced high rate EGR has its problems. VW has NHTSA after them for stalling problems that can not be fixed (link below). I experienced this several times personally last year (dealer bought my car back as factory thorough their hands up to the matter). Separate from this there is the high pressure fuel pump problem, which I think is fixed. Too bad they have to saddle the 2.0 TDI with a bunch of smog [censored] to meet us emissions regs. This is a great motor in Europe (I think it has 50 more HP there).

http://wot.motortrend.com/diesel-investi...lling-8723.html

Originally Posted By: BBDartCA
The new US 2.0 TDI with enhanced high rate EGR has its problems. VW has NHTSA after them for stalling problems that can not be fixed (link below). I experienced this several times personally last year (dealer bought my car back as factory thorough their hands up to the matter). Separate from this there is the high pressure fuel pump problem, which I think is fixed. Too bad they have to saddle the 2.0 TDI with a bunch of smog [censored] to meet us emissions regs. This is a great motor in Europe (I think it has 50 more HP there).

http://wot.motortrend.com/diesel-investi...lling-8723.html

The HPFP problem sounds pretty scary now that I read up on it .. what makes you say you think it's fixed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back