Circular saw blade recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I finally bought my first circular saw. It's a basic no frills SKIL 5380. For my occasional home use, it'll do. The one thing I've read though is that the stock 7-1/4" blade isn't the greatest. So, with that in mind, what's a decent blade that you'd recommend?

This will be mostly used for cutting hardwood such as 2x4 or plywood.

Thanks!

You get Hardwood 2x4's ???
Any carbide tooth blade would be better than the blade that comes standard with the saw.
I'm personally not keen on the Thin Kerf blades.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
So, I finally bought my first circular saw. It's a basic no frills SKIL 5380. For my occasional home use, it'll do. The one thing I've read though is that the stock 7-1/4" blade isn't the greatest. So, with that in mind, what's a decent blade that you'd recommend?

This will be mostly used for cutting hardwood such as 2x4 or plywood.

Thanks!

You really need two blades, one for 2x4's, another for plywood.

For 2x4's you need a blade with medium coarse teeth -- 24 tooth is the norm. For plywood you need a fine tooth blade, at least 60 teeth.

For occasional home use, brand doesn't matter all that much.

Anything carbide tipped will work well w/ the Skil. The stamped steel blade that comes with the saw is pretty lousy. But yeah, you really need two different blades. Higher teeth counts get you smoother cuts.

Originally Posted By: bigdawg74
Anything carbide tipped will work well w/ the Skil. The stamped steel blade that comes with the saw is pretty lousy. But yeah, you really need two different blades. Higher teeth counts get you smoother cuts.

Agreed.

And as brand names go, Look up Freud.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Ive had good luck with the diablo line.

x2 on diablo, the red ones at home depot or lowes. Not sure witch but cuts like butter.

Originally Posted By: justinf89
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Ive had good luck with the diablo line.

x2 on diablo, the red ones at home depot or lowes. Not sure witch but cuts like butter.

Me 3 on Diablo, and the Freuds work well also.

Originally Posted By: NewC6
Me 3 on Diablo, and the Freuds work well also.

Aren't they the same company/brand?

Yes, Freud makes the Diablo. Diabo is the top of the line and the middle step is a Avante.

FYI Avanti blades from Home Depot are not Freud anymore. Freud seems to have dropped the line and Home Depot sells it as a house brand.

I like Freud blades. I use a Diablo 24t framing blade for dimensional lumber, and a Diablo 40t blade for rough cutting plywood. A 60t would give a better finish on good plywood. The Diablo Demon is very fast cutting for framing even when you hit the occasional nail.

I have a Diablo Demolition blade, they are VREY good, but a $17 for a 7 1/2" blade it should be.

Quote:
What about for cutting PVC pipes? Do I need an even finer blade? 90-120 tooth?

Originally Posted By: tom slick
anything will work for PVC but an abrasive blade for metal works best.

Your 60 tooth one should work, no need for an even finer blade.

The trick for cutting anything in general, and PVC pipes in particular is letting the saw do to the work, don't force it.

What about for cutting PVC pipes? Do I need an even finer blade? 90-120 tooth?

Anyone reverse the blade for cutting plastic? It works for sheet metal. When we did our house plumbing all the cuts were done with a wood handsaw. It was just easier to do with one person as holding the pipe and a circular saw is more of a 4 hand job than 2. Cutting pipe with a hand saw is more of a 4 hand job too, but its harder to send yourself to emergency using one.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Anyone reverse the blade for cutting plastic? It works for sheet metal. When we did our house plumbing all the cuts were done with a wood handsaw. It was just easier to do with one person as holding the pipe and a circular saw is more of a 4 hand job than 2. Cutting pipe with a hand saw is more of a 4 hand job too, but its harder to send yourself to emergency using one.

What pipes did you use for your house plumbing?

I won't use any saw to cut copper pipes. I would use something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Superior-Tools-8-I...912&sr=1-72

Originally Posted By: hhu168
Originally Posted By: IndyIan

What pipes did you use for your house plumbing?

I won't use any saw to cut copper pipes. I would use something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Superior-Tools-8-I...912&sr=1-72

ABS for the drains, and PEX for the supply lines. We only used the handsaw for the ABS. Worked pretty well and my wife was happy she didn't need to use a power saw.

Don't use a saw for Pex, you get some plastic from the rough edges in the pipe that may block a faucet the first time you use it.
I had that happen to me twice.
Better to use a proper cutter or Pruning shears.
Yes, reversing the blade (any blade) works well for PVC, otherwise you stand the chance of the plastic shattering, particularly in cold weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back