BMW 5W30, .300 miles, 2002 M5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at buying this car, so took oil sample, which seller had never seen before. Analyst flagged fuel dilution and nitration. Viscosity at low end for 30. When I called fuel dilution to his attention, seller said his mechanic says "No problem - they're all like that." Me, I think there's a leaking injector(s).

Code:
OIL BMW 5W30

MILES IN USE 0.3k

MILES 67.4k

SAMPLE TAKEN 5/19/11

ALUMINUM 3

CHROMIUM 0

IRON 17

COPPER 5

LEAD 7

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 109

NICKEL 0

MANGANESE 0

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 0

BORON 50

SILICON 5

SODIUM 15

CALCIUM 2184

MAGNESIUM 23

PHOSPHORUS 821

ZINC 1016

BARIUM 0

INSOLUBLES 0

WATER
FLASHPOINT ºF N/A

SUS VIS 210ºF N/A

cSt @ 212ºF 10.7

FUEL DILUTION% 4.1

TBN 5.85

OXIDATION 14

NITRATION 22

How was that 300 miles driven prior to taking the sample? If it was mostly short trips, then I'm not surprised to see this level of fuel.

Car has been in seller's garage and not driven much. Fuel dilution level is abnormal.

Review of maintenance records shows oil changes with BMW 5W30. I was really expecting to see 10W60 for this S62 engine.

Originally Posted By: swingwing
Review of maintenance records shows oil changes with BMW 5W30. I was really expecting to see 10W60 for this S62 engine.

I thought that BMW approved 5w30 for post 2000-early 2001 models when they did a redesign on the piston rings, to combat oil consumption

They may have. BMW replaced a lot of E46 M3 engines because their recommended 5W30 oil just couldn't give the protection needed. If I end up buying this car, one of first things it gets is oil change with Amsoil Premium Protection 20W50 or Racing Dominator 15W50.

Nope, no extended idling. Car's been sitting for last few months, driven lightly on sales test drives. Seller is flipping cars, but is selective on what he buys.

Originally Posted By: swingwing
Nope, no extended idling. Car's been sitting for last few months, driven lightly on sales test drives. Seller is flipping cars, but is selective on what he buys.

This actually looks ok for what I assume is just a bunch of very short trips. You said this was driven as test drives. Mostly harder driving when still warming up, this accounts for the wear numbers and the fuel. While it is possible to have a leaky injector, this type of driving would probably produce this result even without a leaky injector.

Yep, am looking around. The E39 M5 is a very special BMW, arguably one of the finest sedans they've produced - iron fist in a velvet glove.

C'est possible. Car's at 67K miles, due BMW Insp II items - and more since this is an M car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back