Mobil "Super" synthetic.... what's so special

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Mothers Day everyone,

I was at PEP BOYS today and saw my first bottle of Mobil "Super" synthetic oil. Compared to Mobil 1 which is synthetic what is the difference between the two?????

The "Super" was price tagged at $3.69/quart and the M1 was priced at $6.19/quart. Both are labeled as synthetic so what gives. Besides that the shelves were practically bare of most if not all the oil available.

Durango

http://www.mobil.us/USA-English-LCW/carengineoils_engine-oil-faqs.aspx

7. Why are you introducing Mobil Super Synthetic?
Mobil Super Synthetic is designed to provide protection for consumers considering synthetics. More mainstream automakers are requiring synthetics to meet their warranty specifications, and Mobil Super Synthetic is a great choice. We also offer Mobil 1, our advanced full-synthetic family of products. Mobil 1 outperforms Mobil Super Synthetic and provides our ultimate in protection and performance. See our Product Comparison Chart for more details on the differences between these products. >>back to top

8. What’s the difference between Mobil 1 and Mobil Super Synthetic?
Mobil 1 is part of our ultimate line of advanced full synthetics. It uses the latest in additive and base oil technologies that provide superior protection, and outperforms Mobil Super Synthetic. It meets both GM’s stringent dexos1™* and Europe’s ACEA performance standards. More car builders recommend Mobil 1 by name than any other motor oil brand in the world. More NASCAR® drivers use Mobil 1 than any other motor oil brands. Mobil 1 has provided exceptional performance throughout its nearly 40-year history and stands alone as The World’s Leading Synthetic Motor Oil Brand.

Mobil Super Synthetic is a full synthetic that uses synthetic-base oils. It outperforms our conventional and synthetic blend products. It meets or exceeds the latest industry requirements, GF-5 /API SN. The product offers performance consistent with many synthetics in the market.

See our Product Comparison Chart for more details. >>back to top
*The dexos1™ specification only applies to 5W-30 viscosity, which is required in GM vehicles.

9. Why do you offer customers more than one synthetic choice?
A variety of synthetic product technologies exist, and we recognize that consumers have different needs. That’s why we now offer a wider range of synthetic product technologies.

Mobil 1, our line of advanced full synthetics, uses the latest in additive and base oil technologies for ultimate performance and protection. Mobil Super Synthetic is a full synthetic that uses synthetic-base oils and provides performance consistent with many synthetics in the market.

Our Product Comparison Chart shows how these products differ. >>back to top

Originally Posted By: FL_Rob
Boy,they sure know how to repeat themselves.

I know, I was just thinking the same thing lol. they also know how to say a whole lotta nothing without giving specifics.

Actually, Mobil has 4 different synthetic oils: M1, M1 HM , M1 EP and now Super. I don't count M1 AFE because it is just a marketing gimick.

Regardles.... If this is a trend in the oil industry then why don't oil manufacturers just drop dino and just make low end synthetic. It just seems now in my mind that the average drier only needs "super synthetic". All this time peoplewho use M1 has been oing voer kill on their oil needs????

OK in my mind as it sounds like super synthetic is good for 6K oci's...... Mobil 1 is good for how long oci's...... then Mobil 1 extended is good for let's say 15K? May as well get the extended version and just drive for one year oci's and forget it all year round. I wonder.

Durango

Hey what is the great advantage of syn. ? That is right cold start advantage but according to Mobil you lose that advantage using the watered down verson. Look at what they did to Mobil 5k. Word to the wise.

I'm using Mobile 2 Super Duper Ultra Extreme Performance.

It's a notch below their dino.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back