93 Suburnan transfer case fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
The transfer case on my Suburban takes either Amsoil Torque-Drive ATF or Amsoil multi-vehicle ATF, with I assume the Torque-Drive being preferred as its listed first. I have lots of the multi-vehicle as it goes in both of my vehicles transmissions, and have no Torque-Drive.

This vehicle is a weekend vehicle but once in awhile I do pull my two axle boat trailer somewhere.

Thoughts?

What era Sub? Within certain basic limits,such as chain or gear drive and the differences in viscosity that are necessary, most of the older ones are pretty numb as to oil. Regardless of the oil, because there is no filtration at all, you'll often be condemning the oil for it's load of metal long before the oil was worn out... if you were checking anyway. Unless it's a fulltime t-case, so little of it is in rotation in two-wheel drive that just about any half decent oil will do, IMO.

A lot more justification for high-end oils with fulltime cases and I have seen dramatically lowered oil temps with a good, friction-reducing oil and because many FT 'cases run hot, oxidation can be a problem. A good base oil resists that better.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Its a 93 Suburban K1500 with 5.7L engine and the normal 2H, N, 4H, 4L transfer case. Wheels I assume have automatic locking hubs.

Yeah, that's a part-time t-case, NP-241, part-time, chain drive t-case. Very basic unit, though it does have an oil pump. No hubs, but it has an actuator in the front diff that couples or uncouples the diff from the right CV axle when a signal is received for the swx in the transfer case lever.

As to oil, IMO, you are well into overkill mode with either Amsoil product in that unit. If you don't use 4wd much, you can likely go 100K on that oil... close to that with the OE Dex III. Once you did the initial change anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back