Mobil Special

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw quarts of Mobil Special (not Super) dino oil at Target.
Is that the same stuff as their bulk dino oil?

Yes , it appears to be an oil with a lessor add pack than Mobil Super . To be safe , if Mobil Super is good for 5K mile OCI then I would consider Mobil Special to be a 3K ~ 4K mile oil .

Yeah, Probably 3-4K is about right. I don't remember the exact price, but it was cheap. Thanks for the info!

Come on.....if it is SN or even SM rated it is good for 5k minimum. Let's not get ridiculous.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
To be safe , if Mobil Super is good for 5K mile OCI then I would consider Mobil Special to be a 3K ~ 4K mile oil .

So now we're back to the 1950s 3,000 mile OCI recommendations?

I don't think that is appropriate with any modern API SM/SN GF-4/GF-5 motor oil.

Their website states that the "Special" is for 4k, just past the severs service interval on vehicles (3750miles usually).

The Super is 5k, Super syn is a bit more and then M1 is even better.

OK. If the website says 4K for severe driving, then 4K I guess unless it goes over the OEM recommendation.

I wonder it it's the same as their bulk dino a lot of dealerships use?

OK , if you think Special is for a routine 5K mile run - then why would you need Super ? If it were me :

Special = 4K OCI
Super = 5K OCI
Super Syn = 6K OCI
Mobil 1 = 7.5K OCI

None of them would stay in the engine longer than 6 months ...

ANY API SM/SN oil will do 5-6k in pretty well any vehicle without issue - LOTS of UOA's on here prove that.

But, oil is still extremely cheap relatively speaking, and no car has ever been harmed by doing 3-4k OCI's, so if that helps folks sleep at night, so be it.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
ANY API SM/SN oil will do 5-6k in pretty well any vehicle without issue - LOTS of UOA's on here prove that.

But, oil is still extremely cheap relatively speaking, and no car has ever been harmed by doing 3-4k OCI's, so if that helps folks sleep at night, so be it.

Better the oil than the engine....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back