3.0 TDI Fuchs Titan GT-1 3W-30 Longlife. VW 507.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Code format still gives me fits so I'm going to link the image also. Vehicle is a 2011 VW Touareg. Factory fill changed to Fuchs at 5,452 miles and Fuchs changed out at 9,018. Variables are that D2 with Opti-Lube XPD used with factory fill and B2 with RLI summer additive used with Fuchs. Mostly fast highway driving with the factory fill and mostly in town with the Fuchs. I've also previously posted the VOA on the Fuchs in the appropriate forum.

Summary is engine is breaking in nicely, wearables are down by roughly half and soot is down. The Fuchs performed better than it might look on paper, but still wouldn't be recommended for 10K intervals in this engine. I'm not sure any of the 507 oils would make it that long in the 3.0 without unnecessary wear.

Code:

Iron 56

Copper 10

Tin 0

Lead 2

Chrom 2

Nickel 0

Alum 17

Titan 0

Silver 0

Calciu 1329

Magne 7

Zinc 669

Phos 608

Bariu 5

Molyb 4

Antim 0

Silic 14

Sodiu 6

Boron 30

Potas 0

Vana 0

V40C 70.8

V100C 11.6

Flash 420

OXID 33

NIT 7

KF 328

TBN 3.7

Fuel 0.00

Soot 0.02

Glycol 0

Vndx 159

Sulfate by-products 33

Sample too dark for TAN

1255001_WPendletonSavannahGA_2011Touareg30TDI_11051451.jpg

Thanks for the UOA! Fuchs is hard to find (at least in my area), do you get this from a dealership? Online? Thanks for reporting, should see less and less wear as time goes on.

That's really not a bad price. My local PepBoys has increased the price of their Mobil-1 ESP to $8.15 per liter and when you add $.57 for tax it costs more than the Fuchs (based on 18 liter case pricing).

If I didn't have several years supply of Mobil I'd love to try the Fuchs.

Mobil Delvac 1 LE 5W30 cost me $19/L with shipping from Scotland to Alaska. But of course it has a TBN of 12.6 and should be good for well over 10K miles in our X5 35d.
It is an ACEA E6/E4/E7/MD228.5/51 oil with 1.0% ash and will lead to shorter DPF life, most likely, unless oil consumption drops proportionately.
http://www.mobil.com/Italy-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENCVLMOMobil_Delvac_1_LE_5W-30.aspx
However, Mercedes does recommend 228.51 for passenger car diesels with DPFs...

Charlie

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
... and will lead to shorter DPF life, most likely, unless oil consumption drops proportionately.

The DPF has a finite lifespan. If we keep our cars long enough (EPA specs a 150,000 mile DPF lifespan) we will have to clean or replace the DPF. Engine internals are much more expensive. I refuse to use an oil that offers reduced engine protection in favor of protecting a bolt on part that can be cleaned.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wensteph
Originally Posted By: m37charlie
... and will lead to shorter DPF life, most likely, unless oil consumption drops proportionately.

The DPF has a finite lifespan. If we keep our cars long enough (EPA specs a 150,000 mile DPF lifespan) we will have to clean or replace the DPF. Engine internals are much more expensive. I refuse to use an oil that offers reduced engine protection in favor of protecting a bolt on part that can be cleaned.

I feel the same way!! That's why I'm using the Delvac.

Charlie

..............Fuchs changed out at 9,018.............

What oil is in there now?

I am impressed that your fuel is at 0.00. Is this typical for the TDI motors, or exceptional?

Originally Posted By: SubLGT

I am impressed that your fuel is at 0.00. Is this typical for the TDI motors, or exceptional?

Low fuel is most common. On TDIClub, there have been instances of higher fuel readings and each time it has been attributed to use of high Bx fuel and cold weather.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT

RLI (Renewable Lubricants) 5W-40HD which will be tested in July at 5,000 miles.

Wensteph, I don't know very much about oils in the context of the knowledge on this board, but I have a question that I hope you can address. I was looking at the specs for the RLI 5W-40, and the HTHS is quoted at >2.9. I *think* the spec from VW is >3.5 for HTHS, but I might be wrong. Have you considered this particular spec in the context of trying to avoid an oil that offers less protection? Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts and approach on your oil choice!

Originally Posted By: 62Lincoln
Wensteph, I don't know very much about oils in the context of the knowledge on this board...

I can only say that I know even less which is why I'm using the services of Dyson Analysis to recommend what oil I decide to use long term. We'll see what the numbers are at the 5K analysis. The RLI UOAs have shown consistently good wear numbers in engines known to be very hard on oil. We'll see what they show on mine and see if this is the oil Terry will recommend for my application.

In searching around, your question has come up several times in other RLI threads and the answer seems to be that the HTHS value is something greater than 2.9 with the actual value unstated, but that doesn't cause concern because the overall viscosity is very stable. I'm going to put more value in overall real world wear numbers rather than a single value from a standard test procedure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back