Gun range ear protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never have heard of them, but after checking the website, I'm looking to try a pair.

Those look good! I use a pro ear ultra 33 NRR 33 db from midway. The frame is not too durable but i use them at the range , not problems

I usually like the ear plugs that run 33dB reduction.

I do use muffs too, but they can be kinda annoying. Besides, I can always give a spare pak of ear plugs to a buddy that needs them.

BSW

Originally Posted By: DP08GT
I am going to buy the Howard leight L3ear muffs,anybody use these?

I don't have that model, but I generally like electronic muffs. Outdoors they work quite nicely, indoors along with ear plugs they are great as well. I can have normal conversations yet they shut the boomers down well.

I have a set of Sordin electronic muffs. They are not rated as high as the regular muffs at all. They are adequate for shooting outdoors away from barriers or w/o muzzle brakes.

For shooting near obstacles or around guys with brakes, I double up: ear plugs with the muffs on top. That way the muffs amplify the sounds I want to hear, like a spotter or range officer's commands, but I don't get the blast.

Of course, with some brakes, I feel the blast in my teeth, but that's another matter.

BSW

Originally Posted By: Bruce T
Pablo, can you get a higher dB reduction with electronic muffs? Or are they just better for conversation?

Just on pure sound killing basis, alone - probably not. But in combo with ear plugs, yes and you can hear normal noises and other interesting sounds.

Originally Posted By: bsmithwins
For shooting near obstacles or around guys with brakes, I double up: ear plugs with the muffs on top. That way the muffs amplify the sounds I want to hear, like a spotter or range officer's commands, but I don't get the blast.
This is what I have come to rely upon... double plugging if you will. With or without an R.O.

I have some Radians Pro-Amp electronic muffs that I paid $80 for, but they can be had for less than half that now. Heck, you can buy Winchester branded ones at Walmart for about $25.

Electronic is the way to go, it allows you to hear everything going on around you, which makes you safer in many ways.

That's what sound suppressors are for
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: DP08GT
I am going to buy the Howard leight L3ear muffs,anybody use these?

I have 4 pair of these. They work.

Quote:
That's what sound suppressors are for

Even the best supressors only reduce db levels by what? 30-36db. Using regular ammo you still would be dealing with 120db gunshot.

Last edited:
As far a hearing protection goes, I like the pro-ear33. I double up with some canal plugs as well.

I have a couple of pairs of Howard Leight Impact Sport Ear Muffs and they work quite well outdoors, but since they only have an NRR of 22, or something, I find the following to be absolutely true:

Originally Posted By: RnR
Originally Posted By: bsmithwins
This is what I have come to rely upon... double plugging if you will. With or without an R.O.

"Double plugging" with a good pair of low profile electronic earmuffs is the only way to go as far as I'm concerned. I also use the jack to plug in my iPhone. This allows me to use my shot timer app and other iPhone tools while shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back