Permatex® Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant

According to the Permatex site:

"It is compatible with internal/external brake rubber and plastic hardware, including ethylene-propylene rubber."

Going on that, I would assume it would be safe for the rubber boots. Especially since one of the main uses for brake grease is lubing the caliper pins inside the boots.

oh ahah didnt read that. thought it would be but just wanted some assurance
laugh.gif

I ave used this since it came out and it does work well.
The only problem so far has been on cars that use a rubber tube inside the pin slide, the stuff dried out and i ended up with a sticking caliper after a short time.
I cant explain it, most cars have zero problems only ones that use these little rubber tube inserts which are common on many GM calipers and a few others.

Someone here at BITOG recommended Sylglide, i tried it on these and have had no trouble since. IIRC i got it a NAPA.

I used the green stuff before, it was the worst POS product I've ever used. Had almost seized solid caliper slides after a few months. I would not use any of their stuff anymore. I went to Sil-Glyde and haven't looked back. It's safe for all rubber that I've found so far.

The Sil-Glyde can be found at Autozone as well.

I previously had the same/similar Bendix Ceramlub on my fronts, but changed to the Sil-Glyde recently. Probably will keep this purple lubricant for the rears.

Last edited:
I've had sylglide dry and crack and become worthless.
the permatex green "synthetic" to me is no better than the sylglide.
I prefer the stalube black synthetic. It's worked very well, and after 5 yrs on my Ranger's calipers (with the sliding pins) there was some reminesence of the grease left behind.
Haven't tried to the ceramic permatex yet, although it smells a lot better than the others.

i want some of what honda uses but i cant find it anywhere i read its super expensive. 115k miles and i dont its ever been lubed before..no problems but its a california car so normally no seizing issues.

hrmm i heard of sil-glyde and stalube... which one ????

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I used the green stuff before, it was the worst POS product I've ever used. Had almost seized solid caliper slides after a few months. I would not use any of their stuff anymore. I went to Sil-Glyde and haven't looked back. It's safe for all rubber that I've found so far.

I have used the Permatex Green brake lube and It's only OK! I prefer the Black Permatex much better, Holds up longer!

You are correct its for back of brake pads. I received a packet of it with my Akebono pads.I thought could use on the pins as well. I stll need it for my rear drums.

I would try the Sta-Lube,couldn't get it from the supply house years ago. Tried Silglyde and Perm Purple not happy with either in my application. I like the idea of a Moly type grease.

bought some sil glyde. will re-evaluate as i go.

but whatever honda used in 2001 is amazing. the grease is still greasy and semi black. hope sil glyde can match it

I'm having trouble with the pads on my 2006 Odyssey sticking in the pad guides. The pins slide smooth but the pad guides had no lube at all. Silglyde helped but I think a grease with a solid EP component would do better.

Silglyde and the green Permatex Disc brake grease have always worked well for me on the Pins.

I found out even some synthetic brake greases can sell up caliper pin bushings. I used that CRC black syn goop on the front caliper pin bolts on my 02 Silverado that has a rubber bushing in the pin. Caliper didn't slide freely after checking at 1,000mi. Used a pick to remove the bushings (swelled up where it was hard to remove), regreased the pins and bolted it back up without the bushings. Minor con was clunking when stabbing the brake pedal lightly so I'm guessing it's for noise control.

Originally Posted By: MonumentOiler
I'm having trouble with the pads on my 2006 Odyssey sticking in the pad guides. The pins slide smooth but the pad guides had no lube at all. Silglyde helped but I think a grease with a solid EP component would do better.

Silglyde and the green Permatex Disc brake grease have always worked well for me on the Pins.

Honda Molykote M77 paste works great for this purpose. It is sold in a small tube for about $15.

Back