Techron and Spark Plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read before that it is always a good idea to change the oil and spark plugs after running Techron through a vehicle. I was planning on changing the oil after running two full tanks, but wanted to get opinions on the plugs. Is there any reasons to? Does the Techron cause plugs to foul?

A few thousand miles ago I put in some new NGK laser platinum plugs, they're not exactly the cheapest of plugs so I definitely don't want to mess them up. Should I swap back to the old ones temporarily, or should I be fine and not have to worry about chaning the plugs?

The laser platinum eh, you haven't got a WRX have you?

As far as techron, it is simply a good cleaner/carbon remover and shouldn't hurt the plugs at all, if anything it would keep them cleaner I believe. I see no reason to change spark plugs after a treatment. It comes in every gallon of Chevron gasoline, and all the people that use their gas don't change out the plugs all the time...

This sounds new to me. Seems odd though, but that would mean that most BITOG Techron users would be changing their spark plugs every 3,000-5,000mi. I doubt that's happening...

Sounds like another Internet myth. Using it before an oil change IMO is a good idea, but changing plugs after use? No way.

Gasoline additives used to (and some probably still do) contain MMT, or Methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl. Wikipedia article on MMT My understanding is this stuff has the nasty habit of fouling spark plugs, O2 sensors, and anything else in the exhaust stream. I didn't think it was used in gasoline anymore, but the Wikipedia article infers that it is.

Either way, I don't think Techron has this in it.

As a user of Techron, I've never noticed any difference in spark plugs because of using Techron. My guess that if anything is different the plugs should be cleaner.

I took a used spark plug and kept in pure Techron for a week. It did not make it clean. Then I warmed up Techron and dunked in it. That too made no difference to the plug. Mind you, the plug was not bad or fouled to begin with.

I don't think your will cause any harm to plugs when you add Techron to the tank of gas.

- Vikas

This seems just silly. Most high quality spark plugs today can run 100,000 miles without issues. I run Autolite XP Iridium plugs, since they've been in there I've done 3 full Techron fills with no plug issues.

If I had to change plugs each time, I would die. Coil packs and a transverse mounted v6 = pain in the butt to get to.

Next time, I will dunk the plug just removed from the hot engine in to my "designated cleaner". It will be Kreen. As you know, the lawn mower is my test bed.

- Vikas

Ok, thanks everyone. Good to know that I won't have to worry about messing with the plugs, and end up throwing $50 down the drain afterwards.

I know that it's been said to add Techron before filling the tank, but I just happened to fill mine the other day. I probably won't be driving the car much and it'll be a couple weeks before I need to refill. So question is, should Techron be as effective if I go ahead and pour in it now on a full tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back