New Jetta TDI When should first oil change be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm picking up my new Jetta TDI Sportswagen on Saturday. It has 200 miles.
Should I change the oil right away when I get it, or just follow the guidelines in the manual? I've read that small bits of metal get into the oil of a brand new car. Advice on this would be appreciated.

As a BITOGuyer, I must recommend you change it as soon as you get it home with something like Rotella T6 and an appropriate quality oil filter. Repeat at maybe 1000 miles and start normal OCI's after that.

Many will say modern engines dont shed excess wear particles during break in, but the glittery swirl in the oil pan is proof enough. Changing early and often could be nothing but good for the longevity of an engine. (imho)

Go by the guideline in your manuel....the filter will catch any metel particles. A 3 to 4K OCI would be my suggestion on the factory fill...and then fill with a quality synthetic like M1 or PP.....in the weight your manuel suggests.

What I would suggest... is putting a Magnafine filter on your tranmission line.....which will filter out meteallic particles in your transmission oil.

Last edited:
Don't use T6 in a common-rail TDI during the warranty period. Your car has a very expensive exhaust after-treatment system and can be damaged by oils with more than .6% sulfated ash. Ergo, your engine requires a VW507 oil. You can get M1 ESP 5w30 at PepBoys, and it carries the required specification.

VW fills at the factory with a high quality synthetic. They recommend 10K on the initial fill but if it were me I'd change it out sooner, perhaps 4-5K.

Originally Posted By: ThomasWatkin
Should I change the oil right away when I get it, or just follow the guidelines in the manual? I've read that small bits of metal get into the oil of a brand new car. Advice on this would be appreciated.

I'd expect the filter to catch wear particles. I might change the oil after a couple thousand miles.

I would however change the manual transmission fluid after a few thousand miles, because I have seen plenty metal particles in that sauce with my own eyes. I won't comment on the slushbox.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Don't use T6 in a common-rail TDI during the warranty period. Your car has a very expensive exhaust after-treatment system and can be damaged by oils with more than .6% sulfated ash. Ergo, your engine requires a VW507 oil. You can get M1 ESP 5w30 at PepBoys, and it carries the required specification.

VW fills at the factory with a high quality synthetic. They recommend 10K on the initial fill but if it were me I'd change it out sooner, perhaps 4-5K.

+1 You need to watch that manual, specific oil needs to be used. Every time somebody posts about a Subaru or Volkswagen a lot of people jump right out and recommend Rotella 5w40. It may be fine later on but under the warranty period follow the manual for oil spec's. I would change (the factory fill) out between 3-5k and God help you if it is VW 507 spec oil. There ain't many and it isn't cheap. I am sure you will want to follow the manual after you dump the initial fill. Good Luck, nice car!

The answer is here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2266681#Post2266681
Probably, you have already 50% of Fe, Cu and lots of factory Si/dirt in oil - IMO - it is not healthy to drive with such oil and I'd change it 2-3 times every 2k mi with 5W-30 before switch to pricey longlife synthetic.
I changed oil after 100km in my wife's new car and there was already lots of metals in the oil:
http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/5390/myastra.jpg
2nd oil was used for hard break-in (motoman style - 2 "track" days - not good for diesel engines) and see that wear is much less and dirt level decreased.

10k miles for the first OCI, every 10k miles after that.

Use VW 507.00 oil unless you want to replace your $7000 exhaust system on your own dime. Unlike the previous generation TDI, the commonrails are showing no signs of any oil-lubrication issues with the recommended specification & viscosity.

I also own a common rail TDI. The official recommendation from Volkswagen is to do 10,000 mile drain intervals from the very start.

The CR TDI requires a oil that meets VW norm 507 00. Don't go down to Wal-Mart and buy some truck engine oil. This is imperative due to the exhaust regeneration cycle where the car burns the stored soot that is stored in the particulate filter.

In my area the only two places I have found the 507 00 oil is at the dealership and at PepBoys autoparts. The oil costs approximately $8.00 - $8.50 per liter.

With my Jetta I did the first oil change at 3,000 miles and then the next at 10,000 and then I stayed on the 10,000 interval. Of course VW provides the first three oil changes for free but I never used their free service. I greatly prefer to keep stranger's hands off of my machinery even if it costs me money.

Originally Posted By: SOHCman
As a BITOGuyer, I must recommend you change it as soon as you get it home with something like Rotella T6 and an appropriate quality oil filter. Repeat at maybe 1000 miles and start normal OCI's after that.

As others have said, do NOT do this! Rotella, or other HD oils don't meet the VW specs your engine requires.

If you do want to change early, use something like Mobil1 ESP 5W-30 or buy the oil from your VW dealer.

Use the manufacture recommended oil ratings and viscosity. An early oil/ filter change can't hurt especially if you put over 200,000 miles most people over maintain their vehicles and do not keep them long enough to reap the benefits. Remember warranty and engine requirements. What about the trans/ diff oil?

Originally Posted By: ThomasWatkin

Don't worry about changing the oil right away. If you want, change the oil filter at 5,000 miles if it floats your boat.

Use VW 507.00 specification oil (see owner's manual).

the biggest thing to be concerned is the high pressure fuel pump. Keep all reciepts when you fill up. VW dealerships are quick to blame the customer and accuse them of putting gasoline in the tank.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Use the manufacture recommended oil ratings and viscosity. An early oil/ filter change can't hurt especially if you put over 200,000 miles most people over maintain their vehicles and do not keep them long enough to reap the benefits. Remember warranty and engine requirements. What about the trans/ diff oil?

Manual tranny = don't worry until about 100,000 miles

DSG = does require regular (costly) maintenance. iirc, 40,000 miles to change the DSG fluid & filter--- see owner's manual

Originally Posted By: Steve S
What about the trans/ diff oil?

I prefer to change the (cheap & easy) manual trans fluid every 50k miles; the DSG requires (expensive, more involved) fluid & filter changes every 40k miles IIRC.

Many will say modern engines dont shed excess wear particles during break in, but the glittery swirl in the oil pan is proof enough. Changing early and often could be nothing but good for the longevity of an engine. (imho)

Regarding when to change: Open to debate as always
Regarding suggestion for use of T6: FAIL

Originally Posted By: HondaMan

Regarding when to change: Open to debate as always
Regarding suggestion for use of T6: FAIL

RE: when to change - follow the manual!
RE: what oil - follow the manual!

Don't mess with the warranty on a VW... you might actually need it!

Originally Posted By: Brons2

My bad on the T6, I thought I had read it met requirements but obviously not. Is M1 ESP the most readily available oil for there engines in the US?

5k first oil change....religiously stick with 507 oil. (you pay for this one)

10k.....the dealer covers this one....

Then......10k thereafter.... 507 mandatory.....

This is what I did with my $50k+ TDI Touareg.l...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back