so what are the top 5 motorcycle oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I previously put some bike mobil1 15w40 in which was fine, but I could only get it by the quart.
So then I tried some Rotella 5w40 but it was leaking out my crankcase.
Spec is 15w40.
I got some Mobil1 Delvac 1300 this round but after 1200 miles it feels worn out already.

Any recommendations? Sv1000s.
Btw, there is no dedicated "biker oil" forum only this one...

Did you look through the motorcycle UOA's to see if someone with the same bike posted one? That may give you some insight.

After using most of the $10-$15/qt m/c synthetics I've settled on Valvoline VR1 20W-50 racing dino. UOA's have shown it holds up as well to the heat in my Twin Cam Harley as the boutique synthetics...

Hm were can I get that? The best it looks like they have hear is some part synth 20w50 castrol high mileage...if that's any good.

My first Bike was a SV-650 Naked- LOVE that bike. Super easy to change the oil, fast, good looking and WAY economical.

Its a liquid cooled twin so the build tolerances are tighter- If memory seves me correctly it calls for a 10-40. I ran 10-40 Motorcycle oil Amsoil and the twin loved it. The 20-40 that Harley and "Twin cylinder" formulas rally bogged it down.

Offhand I'd say any HDEO 15w40 would be best. I've been running Mobil Delvac 15w40 in bikes the last few years with excellent results and it only costs about $12 a gallon. Also Rotella T 15w40 and Chevron Delo 15w40 are awesome and will make your bike motor purr and all hold up very well, as good as boutique oils, or even better - at a fraction of the cost.

Originally Posted By: needsducktape
My first Bike was a SV-650 Naked- LOVE that bike. Super easy to change the oil, fast, good looking and WAY economical.

Its a liquid cooled twin so the build tolerances are tighter- If memory seves me correctly it calls for a 10-40. I ran 10-40 Motorcycle oil Amsoil and the twin loved it. The 20-40 that Harley and "Twin cylinder" formulas rally bogged it down.
tolerances are the allowed variance in the clearances. For example .005 +or - 0002, just made up the numbers

If money is no object there seems to be a low level consensus from what I can tell that Redline is pretty much the top stuff. There are a lot of other really good oils.... Maxima products and Mobil 1 20W-50 is probably/possibly the most heat resistant oil out there.

If money is an issue, I would agree that the major brand HDEO's in 15W-40 are VERY good oils. Lots of anti wear stuff in them. I have NEVER heard of anyone having a problem with the HDEO's in a bike.

I am running Delo 15W-40 in a Honda VFR800 because it seems to shear oils a little worse than some other bikes and it did shear M-1 10W-40, which is a good oil, down one grade in 2K miles. Unless you are just EXTREMELY abusive on the oil/bike, etc. or want to go really long on the OCI, I can't conceive if you maintain reasonable OCI's that those HDEO's would not be excellent in your SV 1K. That would appear to be a very
happy marriage to me. The only down side I could see to HDEO's is that you *might* get a tiny bit more performance out of a synthetic due to fractionally better liquidity.

If economy is not an issue, then look at the top end motorcycle synthetic oils.

I've got an SV650s. Your SV1k is really similar. Rotella T 15w40 will be fine in your bike. You mention you ran RTS 5w40, but I am surprised at your comment on leaking when using it. Since you have tried it and didn't like it, lets look elsewhere. I am currently running Pennzoil Racing 25w50 in my SV, and really like it. Pretty cheap at the local Farm and Home Supply store, and very stout with all the goodies we like in a bike oil. Brad Penn makes two bike specific oils that are reasonable, a 10w40 and a V Twin 20w50. They are available mail order. I'm not posting a link because there has just been too much controversy and editing of posts with links in them as of late. PM me if you want the source. Since you asked, I'll give you my top 5 picks for the SV line..from pricy to priceless.
ELF MOTO 4 XT TECH 10W50
Liqui Moly Racing Synth 4T 10W-50
Mobil 1 Motorcycle 10w40
Pennzoil Racing 25w50
Rotella T 15w40
YMMV

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lost1

After using most of the $10-$15/qt m/c synthetics I've settled on Valvoline VR1 20W-50 racing dino. UOA's have shown it holds up as well to the heat in my Twin Cam Harley as the boutique synthetics...

I forgot to comment on this. VR1 is great in a Harley. It is not clutch friendly for your SV1K where there is a shared sump. Just FYI.

Originally Posted By: beanoil
Originally Posted By: Lost1

I forgot to comment on this. VR1 is great in a Harley. It is not clutch friendly for your SV1K where there is a shared sump. Just FYI.

Why is that? (Just curious as I have several friends running VR1 in metrics with shared sumps with great results.) Moly is practically non-existent, but if there's something else that makes it not-so-good for shared sumps my buds would want to know as would I- mainly so I don't give incorrect recommendations...
wink.gif

Thx

I use Rotella 15W-40 in my air-cooled six cylinder and it works great until it gets too hot. The shifting is fantastic until I make a high-speed run down the interstate (100+ MPH).

I am wanting to try a 20W-50 and right now AutoZone has Mobil-1 motorcycle oils for $7.49-$7.99 which is $2.00 off. AutoZone also has the VR1 20W-50 for around $4.39 per quart I believe.

I too am curious why some say not to use the VR1 in a wet clutch design. I may try it just for test purposes.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
I use Rotella 15W-40 in my air-cooled six cylinder and it works great until it gets too hot. The shifting is fantastic until I make a high-speed run down the interstate (100+ MPH).

I am wanting to try a 20W-50 and right now AutoZone has Mobil-1 motorcycle oils for $7.49-$7.99 which is $2.00 off. AutoZone also has the VR1 20W-50 for around $4.39 per quart I believe.

I too am curious why some say not to use the VR1 in a wet clutch design. I may try it just for test purposes.

Oreillys has the vr1 for $2.99 and the synthetic vr1 for $4.99.

Originally Posted By: Jjones

Oreillys has the vr1 for $2.99 and the synthetic vr1 for $4.99.

Thanks for the heads up! Gonna go score a case of the dino VR1 tomorrow for my Harley.

No kidding!! Thanks for the heads up. O'Reilly is just across the street from the AutoZone. I'll definitely get the VR1 tonight and do a change this week.

Hope it doesn't have any impact on my wet clutch. If so,,,, I'll just change it out.

Hope it doesn't have any impact on my wet clutch. If so,,,, I'll just change it out.

Please post back & let us know how it works with your clutch...

It's right on the Valvoline website....Valvoline VR-1 Synthetic Racing Motor Oil is a family of race-proven lubricants formulated to provide high load carrying
characteristics, minimum foaming and maximum resistance to thermal degradation. Exclusive chemistry reduces internal
friction and enhances power output under extreme service conditions. Valvoline VR-1 Synthetic Racing Motor Oil is
recommended for engines burning gasoline and full or partial alcohol fuels in track and street service. Valvoline VR-1
Synthetic Racing Motor Oil is for use in any car, light truck, van, or SUV where API “SL” is recommended(see proper
viscosity grade below).
Valvoline VR-1 Synthetic Racing Motor Oil is not recommended for use in wet clutches( use Valvoline 4-Stroke Motorcycle
Oil).

Originally Posted By: beanoil
It's right on the Valvoline website....
Valvoline VR-1 Synthetic Racing Motor Oil is not recommended for use in wet clutches( use Valvoline 4-Stroke Motorcycle
Oil).

Wow, I've read that page & straight up missed the part about wet clutches. While I don't understand their not recommending it (VR1 is low moly) I figure they know more about their products' usage than I do, LOL.
Thanks for the heads up beanoil!
wink.gif

Edit- the same disclaimer is on the dino VR1 webpage, so it's out too for wet clutch use. (This is the one I was recommending.)

Last edited:
Rotella 15W40. Excellent motorcycle oil regardless of price. I use it in everything four cycle with two wheels and also in my ATVs. I just bought two gallons of it as well as four 5 liter jugs of two cycle oil at CTC. Two jugs of outboard oil and two for air cooled engines. Got the outboard oil for under $15.00 which is a very good deal for such high quality conventional oil.

I was amused by a one liter bottle of Amsoil two cycle oil on sale beside the five liter jugs for the same price????? Go figure.

Re: VR1. I'll think you will find it is not the Moly, but other non-specified friction modifiers the reason they don't recommend its use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back