Home Defense Caliber, 9mm vs .45 POLL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, im looking at getting a glock for the house, just wanted to see what caliber BITOG'ers are using for their pistols.
My opinions after shooting both: 9mm easier to control with less recoil so more on target shots, .45 cal is a bit more snappy, but definetaly inspires a ton of confidence

Why a Glock?

How about a .357 revolver? A couple of thoughts/reasons - no manual of arms and no jams, easy practice using .38 SPL, and the best one-shot stop statistics of any round. All automatics, to be effectively used, require practice....loading, reloading, jam clearing, etc...

On the 9mm vs .45 discussion point, it depends who is shooting it. The .45 has far better stopping statistics and would be my first choice of those two by a long shot (couldn't resist). But, if it's an inexperienced/smaller shooter, then you might have to go 9mm because you're not going to stop anyone if you keep missing the target.

But if I had to chose a gun for home defense, give me a .357 Revolver.

IMO, .45 is controllable and actually has less chance of through and through wounds when fighting in close quarters. I would pick the .45 any day of the week and use 200gr. Hollow Points. The most important thing is stopping an attack and I believe .45 is more likely to do it over 9mm. I am not bashing 9's either. To protect my family's life 45 would be my choice between the two.

(I use .40, lot of testing behind it but also can over penetrate) Father's favorite caliber after 32 years as a LE officer .40 made an impression, he hated 9mm). I listened to "pop's" on that advice, even though I ignored a lot more...lol

.357 is a great caliber but too much chance for over penetration.

Last edited:
My nightstand has a Glock 30SF on it every night with a 13 rd G21 magazine full of Ranger-T 230+p. This particular gun has over 2500 rounds through without a single malfunction. The 'manual of arms' is simple: pull trigger, it goes bang. Don't believe the anti-Glock hype. There's a reason they are the most popular m+p sidearm in the world.

The wound from a .45ACP makes alot bigger entry hole than a 9mm, thereby letting more blood out and putting an end to the attack much faster. I would take a .45 over a 9mm anyday.

Not anti Glock, nor anti auto, just very conservative...

I carry an H&K USP Compact in .40, with tritium sights, LE trigger (no safety, 8lb pull). I have about 6,000 rds through it without one jam/misfeed. Good piece of gear, and I highly recommend it...but I practice with it a lot, can clear it, reload it, all in a second...and I think the .40 is about the perfect balance of power, bullet cross-section, and magazine capacity.

For the infrequent shooter, there is the reality of training, the ease of shooting low power (and cheaper) loads...and the 1 in 1,000 chance it doesn't go "bang"...with a revolver, you pull again...

But like you, I would buy a new Glock in .45 ACP...an excellent choice on a very nice weapon!

Last edited:
Times I've had different automatic weapons jam on me while firing them; at least a dozen.

Times I've had any revolver jam on me while firing it; never.

Between the 45 and 9mm for auto handgun, I'd take the 45 since it would be heavier and would make a better club than the 9mm when it jammed
smile.gif

Home defense duties are best served by a long gun, such as a rifle or shotgun. It looks more intimidating, packs much more kinetic energy upon impact, and just by the look of it...you even may be able to avoid pulling the trigger and all the legal woes that go with it.

I just find long guns easier to shoot accurately. I live in California, where gun laws are more restrictive. I put together an AR-15, with a "fixed" magazine. But it's not really fixed per se. It can be operated normally with the turn of a screw. Anyways, the 5.56 x 45 mm is spits out is pint sized (it's really a .22), but I can shoot it very accurately and it has low recoil. At ranges < 100 meters, the bullet reliably fragments. Which means almost 100% energy transfer into the target. And this is with FMJ bullets. If you use a self defense bullet, it won't go through walls and will even be more effective. Plus, the AR-15 just looks evil. I only hold this opinion from my experience in the Marines. It was so-so reliable, but that was in [censored] conditions. In a well-oiled house atmosphere, it will be very reliable.

Hitting your target is more important than the size of the bullet. 9mm is considerably cheaper to shoot so that means you will be able to get more practice in with the 9 than the .45.

.45 - It's what I use for this purpose, in addition to my shotgun.

Don't buy a home defense gun based on how cheap the rounds are. Pay the price and practice like you should. Hit the target AND make a big hole. It's not THAT expensive. If cost is that big of a factor, maybe it's time to re-organize your priorities.

About the recoil, it really isn't bad. With the right gun, proper practice, and a set of grips that suit your hands, you can shoot it all day.

9mm? That's like a bullet, only smaller, right?

The difference in stopping power between a .45 and a 9mm is significant. Anybody who tells you otherwise is ill informed. If I were restricted to concealed carry of a small weapon, I would consider a 9mm or .38 Special. Since this is a home defense weapon where weapon size doesn't matter, but bullet size does, I believe you'd be hard pressed to do better than a .45. Nothing wrong with a .357 mag, but I personally find them uncomfortable to shoot for long periods with full up rounds. Whatever you pick, make it something you enjoy shooting, so that practice is an enjoyable recreation, not a chore.

My 5 foot tall 125 lb wife (well, that's what she weighed last time we went shooting ;)) had no trouble with recoil of a .45 shot from a Colt Commander the first time she fired a pistol. I can shoot them all day without ill effect. I don't understand people who think they kick too much, but I suspect they are folks that either haven't fired them, or shot them out of a platform that was too small.

My #1 at ready home defense weapon is a .45 Colt Commander with Crimson Trace laser grips (don't have to worry about a sight picture in low light conditions). If I know something is up, and have time to get the shotgun out of the safe I'd use that. For some reason, I'm comfortable having an loaded Colt bedside, but not so much with a shotgun.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

Times I've had different automatic weapons jam on me while firing them; at least a dozen.

Times I've had any revolver jam on me while firing it; never.

Between the 45 and 9mm for auto handgun, I'd take the 45 since it would be heavier and would make a better club than the 9mm when it jammed
smile.gif

If you've never seen a revolver jam you haven't been shooting enough. I've seen 4 jam tight personally.

1) S&W with a missing crane screw. First 6 were fine, when the cylinder was opened it fell off.
2) Taurus with a seized cylinder. Dirt had gotten under the extractor, jamming the cylinder.
3) Ruger Security Six with seized cylinder. Ejector rod has unscrewed, seizing the cylinder.
4) My own Ruger GP100 with a seized cylinder. Primer failed and blew a wee little flap into the firing pin orifice. This locked up the cylinder tight.

Seen quite a few stoppages in auto loaders, almost all of which were easily and quickly cleared by the user. When wheel guns go down, you're likely to need a smith and/or tools.

Personally, I use 9mmP in +P loads. Lots of dead people been killed by that caliber.

BSW

Originally Posted By: Astro14
For the infrequent shooter, there is the reality of training, the ease of shooting low power (and cheaper) loads...and the 1 in 1,000 chance it doesn't go "bang"...with a revolver, you pull again..

Could not agree more. Totally. Start is very important.

Originally Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ
9mm? That's like a bullet, only smaller, right?

The difference in stopping power between a .45 and a 9mm is significant. Anybody who tells you otherwise is ill informed. If I were restricted to concealed carry of a small weapon, I would consider a 9mm or .38 Special. Since this is a home defense weapon where weapon size doesn't matter, but bullet size does, I believe you'd be hard pressed to do better than a .45. Nothing wrong with a .357 mag, but I personally find them uncomfortable to shoot for long periods with full up rounds. Whatever you pick, make it something you enjoy shooting, so that practice is an enjoyable recreation, not a chore.

My 5 foot tall 125 lb wife (well, that's what she weighed last time we went shooting ;)) had no trouble with recoil of a .45 shot from a Colt Commander the first time she fired a pistol. I can shoot them all day without ill effect. I don't understand people who think they kick too much, but I suspect they are folks that either haven't fired them, or shot them out of a platform that was too small.

My #1 at ready home defense weapon is a .45 Colt Commander with Crimson Trace laser grips (don't have to worry about a sight picture in low light conditions). If I know something is up, and have time to get the shotgun out of the safe I'd use that. For some reason, I'm comfortable having an loaded Colt bedside, but not so much with a shotgun.

Too bad there is no such thing as stopping power.

For home, its the .45 or the shotgun. when i travel on the highway 9mm for the capacity. The .380 when i want to carry concealed.

As long as we are talking ACP and not GAP, I'd say 45. For home defense, always by the biggest caliber you can comfortably handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back