Different size tires on same car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got an 89 RT4WD Civic wagon, but have it setup for FWD. I blew my left rear tire the other day, so I pulled into a small tire shop and bought a used tire since the other 3 are about half worn out. I just noticed that it is a 185/65-14, whereas my other tires are all 185/70-14. I'm wondering whether I should go back and complain, or just keep it? It's so close, and it's on the rear, I was thinking it won't make much difference? I haven't noticed any handling issues, but I don't want to somehow screw up the suspension somehow. What do you guys think?

Go back and have them change it to the proper size. Your 4WD will fail prematurely if you run different sized tires. By the way, why didn't you use the spare?

Last edited:
It's a donut spare. My car is running FWD, shouldn't that isolate any possible 4WD issues?

Originally Posted By: Cogito
I've got an 89 RT4WD Civic wagon, but have it setup for FWD. I blew my left rear tire the other day, so I pulled into a small tire shop and bought a used tire since the other 3 are about half worn out. I just noticed that it is a 185/65-14, whereas my other tires are all 185/70-14. I'm wondering whether I should go back and complain, or just keep it? It's so close, and it's on the rear, I was thinking it won't make much difference? I haven't noticed any handling issues, but I don't want to somehow screw up the suspension somehow. What do you guys think?

What do you mean that you have it set up for front wheel drive(FWD)? I'm not sure that I understand?

I realize that this particular '89 Civic Wagon is FWD by it's design w/AWD optional. Explain more please! Has the driveshaft been eliminated?

The 65 series tire is almost 1"(.8") lower than the 70 series tire. If there is a rear differential, this will effect the gearing. It's like being in a turn all the time. The left rear tire is turning faster than the right rear tire. If you only had FWD, this wouldn't matter with the exception of safety/handling. But as long as you know what's on your car, drive accordingly!

Personaly, I would have all the same size tires on the vehicle. Or change the other rear tire to match.

The general rule is to have 4 identical tires on 4X4's and AWD to prevent drivetrain failures. - And by identical they mean the same size, same make, same model, same state of wear.

So the question is: How much of a risk are you willing take? Inj theory, the safest route is to buy 4 tires.

But in theory, the worst possible condition is what you have now!

BTW, you bought a used tire with the idea that it was a temporary fix, right? I think it is time to "FIX" it right!

Go back and complain; they are pros and should double check and at least put up some resistance to doing something "wrong" to your car.

Look at walmart and sams refusing to mount a matching set of four "wrong" tires, even if they're oversize on a truck and everyone's doing it.

I would bring them a proper 70 series you got somewhere else, and see if they'll give you money back and/or free mounting.

In vehicles with a limited slip (viscous coupling) AWD system, not only do the tires have to be the same size/model, but they have to be within 2/32" tread depth to preclude excess slippage and premature failure of the limited slip...

If your Honda is AWD, you're killing it...I don't know what "set yp for FWD" means...unless you pulled the driveshaft...in which case, you aren't hurting the coupling...

Even so, I would not be happy with one tire that far off, the alignment and handling will be off...and more noticeable if this thing ends up on the front...

Is it time for a new set of tires, perhaps?

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
What do you mean that you have it set up for front wheel drive(FWD)? I'm not sure that I understand?

I realize that this particular '89 Civic Wagon is FWD by it's design w/AWD optional. Explain more please! Has the driveshaft been eliminated?

It has a viscous coupling that will activate a rear differential in the case of slippage, but I have it disengaged. So, it would seem like the rear tires are freewheeling.

Do you plan on keeping the car for a while? Short term, it probably doesn't matter, for handling or the suspension or drivetrain. But you've introduced a possible problem cause, and the used tire place should've put the same size tire on, so you might as well get them to put the right size on.

Yeah, you're right. I knew better at the time but I was in a hurry and let the guy schmooze me. I'll have them make it right tomorrow.

Well, I got the odd tire replaced with one of the correct size, and I am glad I did. The car acted squirrelly under hard braking with the uneven setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back