Low mpg, fine to use 0W20 in 06 Honda Odyssey VCM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 06 Honda Odyssey, since this van is being driven primarily on local street, I know the gas mileage cannot be good. I averaged about 16-18 mpg.
User manual recommend 5W20, my question is will I see any mpg increase with a switch to 0W20? Does 0W20 protect the engine as well as 5W20?
My van is touring model, so it has the VCM which turn off 3 cylinders to save gas as condition allows it. Don't know if this make a difference.
I tend to stick with the onboard OLM to 0-5%.
I searched and found out that someone stated the same engine has lots of sludge with 7.5K OCI, I shouldn't concern about that, right?
Thanks in advance.

The OEM Honda 0w20 is quite good. It would work just fine; if it never gets below zero you likely won't notice any difference between that and the 5w20.

Honda Odyssey's OLM is calibrated with conventional 5W20, 0W20 is mostly synthetic and can be used in place of 5W20 without any problem other than higher cost. Honda and Toyota 0W20 has high moly count and high VI, you may gain small MPG especially for short distance trips because they are thinner than conventional 5W20 at less than operating temperature.

Just stick with a good 5w20. 0w20 really gives no noticeable MPG increase. I am switching to 5w20 in my Civic Hybrid after I changed the oil at 2k it was beat to heck. Never seen a modern oil so cooked after coming out of a non racing app, so soon. I am not saying that will happen to you but they (the majors) have 5w20 down pat. 0w20 varies greatly Honda and Toyota 0w's are "semi-syns" ie. chock full of VII's and I don't like that.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Honda and Toyota 0w's are "semi-syns" ie. chock full of VII's and I don't like that.

Correction: Honda has both a semi and a full syn. I have a case of the latter in my garage. Part no. -9037.

You will never find a mileage differecne between the two oil weights. The diiderence will be lost in the noise of day to day driving IMO. Ed

Focus on things like unnecessary weight(Backseat,unless you're always toting 7 people),tire pressure maybe at a +5 psi not using the a/c unless absolutely can't live without,etc.

The cylinder de activation is mostly on the highway, at steady cruising speeds. Around town, it should not go on much, if at all.

Shorts trips might see a difference between 0-20 and 5-20. The intermediate temps may see a difference in middle viscosity.
How much? Hah! Forget about it!

If you run your tires a few pounds over spec, it is fine and works in city or highway. But it may not actually register when you do your calculations, because now your tires have a larger radius. this can self cancel the measured benefits! Or, you can compute LESS MPG , and actually be achieving more!
The bottom line is that is will help, but may not measure right.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
The difference in mpgs between a 0w-20 and a 5w- 20 is microscopic.

My experience since switching is 2-3% gain with M1 0-20 over 5-20. Just about what XM site says.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
You will never find a mileage differecne between the two oil weights. The diiderence will be lost in the noise of day to day driving IMO. Ed

My thoughts too. One extra red light stop, just wiped out any difference in mileage.
smile.gif

lemonade,

What I'd do is stick to your current oil and use a synthetic if possible. Check and replace any filters like your air filter mostly and lastly check your tire pressure to see if your low.

Gas it up and take it out on the freeway and check your MPG. If you get good gas mileage then the only other possible factor could be is your a little heavy on the gas pedal in the city.

My 2 cents only.

Durango

0W20 can be produced with a scrubbed mineral oil so saying 0W20 is mostly synthetic is bogus (For marketing purposes the producers are legally allowed in the USA to call it "synthetic" when it is actually not)...I would say that most are not synthetic as evident by the cost. Look for a 0W20 oil that has a low Vis40 spec. Toyota 0W20 is good and is actually relatively cheap at the dealer...$5.50 / qt. here.

Thanks folks~
Looks like I will stick with 5W20. Saw Mobil Super Synthetic selling for $19.50/ 5qt at Walmart, make me wonder if I should switch from dino to synthetic.
Mobil super is also selling for $2/qt at O'reilly.
I suppose if I stick with OLM, I wouldn't see any difference between these oils, right?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Honda Odyssey's OLM is calibrated with conventional 5W20, 0W20 is mostly synthetic and can be used in place of 5W20 without any problem other than higher cost. Honda and Toyota 0W20 has high moly count and high VI, you may gain small MPG especially for short distance trips because they are thinner than conventional 5W20 at less than operating temperature.

+1.......except M1 5w20 and M1 0w20 are priced the same in 5 quart jugs in WalMart ($24.50).

I recently purchased M1 0w20....and plan on using it in the near future....with an OCI of 8000 miles +/-

5w-20 to 0w-20 is going to cause you to spend even more money.

reason: you are using 5w-20 conventional right? 0w-20 is always a synthetic so thats means more cost. is the potential gas saving of 0w-20 going to offset the additional cost of synthetic oil? i dont think so..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Originally Posted By: garlicbreadman
0w-20 is always a synthetic

Incorrect.

+1

76 makes a 0w-20 synthetic blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back