where to recycle oil filters in your area?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good site. I had my used oil and filter recycle a little far away, according to this site I can recycle my used oil and filter then pump gas and do groceries shopping all within 200 years.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Good site. I had my used oil and filter recycle a little far away, according to this site I can recycle my used oil and filter then pump gas and do groceries shopping all within 200 years.

within 200 years? Good lord, I won't be around that long. Unless you're talking about a unit of distance, a light-year perhaps? Light-year sounds better than a yard anyway.

Wal-Mart can take my garbage. Sure. I found an interesting statement when changing the zip code once accessing the OP's link; over to a Georgia zip. A message appears:

Quote:
A Message from the Georgia Department of Community Affairs

Georgia residents are legally allowed to dispose of solid household hazardous waste in their garbage. However, caution should be taken to properly contain and not mix the HHW materials being disposed. At this time, this is the recommended action if residents are unable to use up or give away their hazardous products.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tinmanSC

within 200 years? Good lord, I won't be around that long. Unless you're talking about a unit of distance, a light-year perhaps? Light-year sounds better than a yard anyway.

My bad, I don't know what I was thinking while typing, I mean Yard not Year.

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC

My bad, I don't know what I was thinking while typing, I mean Yard not Year.

Totally can walk that!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: cathy
what do they do with it? Just separate it? can it be recycled?

They then pitch them in the garbage.

Originally Posted By: cathy
what do they do with it? Just separate it? can it be recycled?

Around here, they put a quantity of them in a hydraulic press, which extracts as much oil as possible (not all, of course). They then send the remnants of the filter for recycling. I'm pretty sure the media is a write-off, but the metal can be recycled.

Around my area and at my work, all of our old oil filters and steel scrap we generate gets taken by FIRST RECOVERY to a steel mill near downtown and made into new steel. They do extract all or much old oil out of the filters as they can also.

The county transfer station 3 miles away takes oil and filters for free (well, paid for by taxes), as long as it's less than 5 gallons/person/day. They have a big tank with a padlock on it for oil and several 55-gallon drums for filters.

I cut mine open and let the oil drain in a pan. After a couple of weeks or when I get around to it, I throw the metal and plastic parts into curbside recycling, and throw the media/paper in the garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back