Insurance and annual maintenance costs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow-up to a thread earlier. Since I'm still undecided on brand and size, what are your average annual insurance costs (clean driving record). If posting, driving record and type of bike would be very helpful. Also, normal maintenance costs, no major damage repairs, ie.. dropping the bike, maintenance neglect repairs. Thanks.

Progressive $150 first year $75 thereafter, liability above state minimum. New MC endorsement on license first year. I was slightly disappointed it was similar in cost to a car, garaged all winter.

82 Yamaha Virago XV750.

After I got it running, one year took a rear tire and brake shoes, about $100. I mounted the tire myself; I understand a shop would charge around $45 to do it.

Next year I just topped off the oil.

Year after that, replaced the battery I put in when I got it running. Normally $65, I got one at Advance for ~40% off.

Riding 2000 miles a year, the savings in gas over a 4 cyl saturn probably doesn't quite cover expenses even at $4/gal.

Insurance varies depending on where you live, brand, size of motor, and type of bike. Type of coverage and amount of coverage.Just for fun ask your insurance agent how much for full coverage for a '11 Hyabusa vs a '11 250 honda.Average maintenance will also vary depending on how much use the bike gets. And who does the work, you or the dealer. An average bike in good condition used for 5k miles a year ,you can expect a tune up every two years or so. Then there's oil changes and filter changes, brakes and other stuff. Tire life varies also, but expect more life from front tires then rear tires. 10-12k on a rear is about average, depending how hard it's ridden. Then it's a cable adjustment or light bulb now and then. The cost vary so much depending on the bike you have. A Harley will cost more to maintain then a 250 Honda, so it really depends on the bike you get.,,

It depends is an understatement:
I have two bikes-
1985 BMW K100RT (1000cc water cooled 4 cylinder)- Qualifies as "historic" so no annual registration. Insurance = $125/yr. I bought it cheap and invested $2000 + in a total rebuild. I've put on 20K miles since the rebuild so I figure .10/mile plus gas .09/mile(44 mpg @ $4/gal). I expect to put on 10K miles and get the maintenance down to .06/mile before I sell it. This bike has appreciated in value about $500.

1994 BMW R100R (1000 cc air cooled)- Needed a transmission rebuild ($2500) plus some $1500 in other needs over the last 8000 miles. That's .50/mile before gas! This has been a financial debacle but I really enjoy riding it now that it's all sorted out. That's good since this bike has depreciated about $1000 in value since I bought it.

My average costs for motorcycling is to allow $800 for maintenance and $600 for "other". You will replace riding gear like helmets, raingear and jackets/boots. After the initial cost that will get you pretty close to a budget.

Don't forget the initial cost of a good helmet and a leather jacket and I use pretty much any boots.

Insurance, liability only, under 100 for 9 months a year.

Maintenance for me is a filter and four quarts a year. Tires probably every 10,000 miles. I did the timing myself at 7500.

Insurance costs can vary widely from zip code to zip code, on the same bike.

I do a lot of my own maintenance, so I can't help there much either. The hourly labor charge at a dealer ranges from $65 to $75 an hour locally.

Try to find a good independent mechanic who works on bikes on the evenings and weekends for the best job at the best price.

For my 2007 H-D Electra Glide, full coverage Geico at age 49 w/clean driving history, $35 a month.

Maintenance costs- 1 oil change a year (Valvoline VR1 dino & Wix filter) is about $20, 1 qt Rotella 15W-40 for primary drive is $3.

Every 2 years I change the transmission oil- 1 qt Redline Shockproof is $12. 2 new spark plugs- $6.

New rear tire installed every 10k miles- $175.

Some bike need to have their valves adjusted still. My buddy has a '96 1300 cc Yamaha royal star? which you have to take alot of the bike apart just to get to the valve covers. Then you have to check the valve shims and replace the ones that are out of spec.I would bet that's an expensive service to pay for. Harley's don't need that service performed unless, someone has put adjustable push rods in the bike.Tune ups and maintenance is a breeze compared to other brands.Changing an air filter an a 1800 Honda Goldwing can be a two or more hour job.Each bike is different, so it's best to know what the bike your looking at going to cost to service if your not doing it.,,

I have a Honda Elite 80 Scooter and pay $99/year for insurance, but upkeep is going to cost me less on a scooter than a bigger bike. I'd say maybe about 1/2 as much as a bigger bike.

Insurance is about $400 per year, clean record, no accicdents.

I have a 2004 Honda "bullet proof" vtx1800c. The only thing I needed to do was oil every 8000 miles, air filter every 10,000 miles, new battery last summer, 1 set of Avon venom tires. All you can do with a Honda is ride it.

I would be comfortable buying a maintained honda with 50,000 to 100,000 miles on it. They just don't cost much to maitain.

My insurance, full coverage, runs about 120 a year with Geico.

I'm 58, have a MC endorsement and a clean driving record.

My bike is an 06 Yamaha V Star 650 Classic.

No money, other than regular oil change and filter, has been spent on the bike for any work. All other funds spent have been to make the bike my own.

Then again, I put less than a 1000 miles a year on the bike.

Insurance on my SV650s, tha Aprilia Scarabeo 100 and the Yamaha 50cc scooter is 20 a month with Flo at Progressive. Maintenance includes 3.5 quarts of oil and a filter for the SV, 1.5 quarts of oil for the Scarabeo, and 6 ounces of rear hub lube, and a pint of 2 stroke for the scoot. I ride about 3000 miles a year on the SV, another 5-600 on the Scarabeo, and a couple hundred at most on the Yamaha. Fuel costs are next to nothing. The SV gets 45 MPG, the Scarabeo about 90, and the scoot, about the same. I will need a new rear tire next year, about 125 for the SV.

On my YZF600R Insurance was about $200 a year when I was a young en.

Now I just checked costs on a Ninja 250 and it was $75 a year.

For me, tires were the biggest pain. They have decent prices in catalogs but then who is going to mount them. 3-4 years ago, a 120/60 160/60 set would cost over $300. Now, no telling! Just seems odd that two tires that make it 5-10k miles cost about as much as 4 on a car carrying you up to 100k miles.

Very enjoyable to work on so get a manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back