Investors....come in please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since this thread is back up, does anyone have any good books or information sources about investing? I've already read one of Dave Ramsey's books but would like more ideas.

Some of the best general books on investing (yes, I own and have read them):

Common sense on mutual funds - John Bogle
A Random Walk down wall street - Burton Malkiel
Bogle on Mutual Funds - John Bogle
Stocks for the long run - Jeremy Steigel
Devil take the hindmost - Edward Chancellor
Making the most of your money - jane Bryant Quinn (some investing, more good personal financial managment)
The Millionaire Next door - can't remember the authors, two guys from Georgia...lots of surprising conclusions...

When Genius Failed: the rise and fall of long term capital management - Roger Lowenstein (ok...not really investing...just a really great read...)

There are more, but those are the memorable ones.

I bought "Lords of Finance" by Liaquat Ahamed...but haven't read it yet...not really an investing book, more like the Lowenstein book on how markets and finance work...good WSJ review...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tempest
Since this thread is back up, does anyone have any good books or information sources about investing? I've already read one of Dave Ramsey's books but would like more ideas.

I've posted it before. Learn the IBD way.

I must say - after all these years I'm still making money on PFO. Crazy really. The only problem is deciding when to cash out with this winner. I just have the monthly dividends buy more shares.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I must say - after all these years I'm still making money on PFO. Crazy really. The only problem is deciding when to cash out with this winner. I just have the monthly dividends buy more shares.

Agree. Im doing the same thing. The power of compounding is a very nice thing!

Having doubled in two years, it shows the benefit of twofold growth - dividend reinvestment and dollar cost averaging.

Quite the little run lately as well. I think I'll keep this sucker for retirement income....I actually had most of my energy MLP's and even my Peru fund were up today. I didn't get beat bad, because I don't have much in the USA market right now.

Originally Posted By: yannis
Easy money .
11% interest for deposits over 150.000$ (non Cyprus residents )privat bank , Cyprus branch

Those could be some pretty nervous 5 years, but I would like a little of that action. It's not like the Greeks are going anywhere and as long as the interest is paid in US dollars your principle is returned as real dollars.........
grin2.gif

This is actually an Ukrainian based bank with two offices in the island.
The second best alternative i have found is in Bulgaria with 7.5% a year ( 6,75% after tax) , in euro.
The minimal amount is 25.000 euro or $ . Their nearest office is 2 hours away since i live close to the borders and i am planning to visit it soon .
Stock market is too complicated for me.

Sunk some into Small Companies Index fund (2 parts), large companies (1 part), World Index (1 part) and US index (1part) this week with all the drops.

Long term investment (13 years plus).

This is why we don't go into summer fully invested.....

Yea, I cut way back and am doing some picks.

Check out Sino Clean Energy (SCEI)... I got in Friday at $1.93 after it got beat down...

Originally Posted By: tpitcher

What do you think about UURAF?

I don't do penny stocks anymore.

lol.gif
I never have!

I'm pared down to 6 stocks until September, or we see a correction (dive).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back