$85 for an oil change? No thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sir1900
So I went to my Lexus dealer to find out what an oil change would be. He told me normally it is $48 plus taxes but because I have a 2011 RX, which requires 0W-20 full syn, add another $40. So he figures around $85. 2011 RX 350 requires 6.4qt of oil with filter.

Pennzoil doesn't say 0W-20 and apparently it doesn't have to be syn either ......

What does your owner's manual say about oil requirements ??

Originally Posted By: sir1900
So I went to my Lexus dealer to find out what an oil change would be. He told me normally it is $48 plus taxes but because I have a 2011 RX, which requires 0W-20 full syn, add another $40. So he figures around $85. 2011 RX 350 requires 6.4qt of oil with filter.

I understand the reason for 0W-20 but really... to satisfy the "green movement", I am forking out considerable dollars extra to yield relatively insignificant fuel savings.

Filter is worth $7 each, so at around $75 for oil and labour, I think I will be better off taking my business elsewhere.

My vehicle takes 7qts of oil and just about any syn is around $9-$10/qt in my market. Add taxes and I couldn't get the oil alone for less than $80. I wait for sales and whatnot, but just illustrating that it's not at all insanely priced, especially for a dealer.

My mom gets coupons from the BMW dealer in the mail every so often. There's always a coupon for an oil change. "Only" $120 for an oil and filter change. And that's WITH the coupon.

Find out who owns the lexus dealer and see if they run a hyundai/kia/dodge dealer down the street. Get serviced there. If the lexus dealer questions their competence come warranty time, point out the corporate overlord.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
You're OK with paying a inflated price for a vehicle such as a Lexus, but you're not OK paying an inflated price for Lexus oil changes?

Lots of people buy a fancy car and then are shocked when it comes to maintenance, tires, repairs....etc. It makes me wonder if these people can really afford the car. A few weeks ago a Lexus owner on BITOG was mad that his car needed the highest priced 93 octane and it was hurting his wallet.
21.gif

my Honda dealer charges $65 US for a syn oil change. However they do have half off coupons a few times a year. Still not worth the aggravation easier and faster to do it yourself.

Thank You for all the replies. While I see your argument that I paid x dollars for a vehicle, why am I complaining?

Well the dealer told me that 2010 models require 5W-20. 2011 models switched over to 0W-20. I picked up a brochure from the dealer that states beginning in 2011, Toyota will make 0W-20 standard across the board. This is to satisfy the green movement. This new change will add significant dollars to maintenance that yields very little in actual fuel savings. In the long run, it will cost more just to appease the tree huggers.

While one can say that you spent so many dollars on a vehicle, doesn't mean the dealer can gouge you at their end. I can certainly afford the maintenance if I had it all done at the dealer, but at the end of the day, it's the principle.

For the record, OCIs are 5000 miles according to the manual -- something 5W-20 conventional is more than capable of handling.

Quote:
Well the dealer told me that 2010 models require 5W-20. 2011 models switched over to 0W-20. I picked up a brochure from the dealer that states beginning in 2011, Toyota will make 0W-20 standard across the board. This is to satisfy the green movement. This new change will add significant dollars to maintenance that yields very little in actual fuel savings. In the long run, it will cost more just to appease the tree huggers.

But going longer between oil changes does save time. The impact on the environment is reduced with fewer dead filters and less oil being dumped some where.

Quote:
$40-$45 is the normal price for a standard oil and filter change with 5 qt of 5w-20 or 5w-30 in my area. The Toyota 3.5L V6 takes 6.5 qt, so that's an automatic 2 qt upcharge. So for conventional alone, it's $50.

That is correct but in practice only 6.0 quarts drain (with filter change) unless you have half a day to wait on it. Six quarts is the normal fill for a Toyota 3.5l (not Lexus), I own two and the dealer charges $37 for standard oil.

Like others here are saying...........If I could afford a 2011 Lexus I would hardly grumble about the price of a required synthetic oil change, doesn't it require premium fuel also? If that breaks the bank then do it yourself or get a Kia.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
You're OK with paying a inflated price for a vehicle such as a Lexus, but you're not OK paying an inflated price for Lexus oil changes?

Aint that the truth. A guy I work with needed a battery for his BMW sedan and it cost him (installed) $500 at the dealer. An alternator cost him $1200 installed. Total rip off IMO.

Premium brands cost premium bucks to service. Simply because you bought a premium brand the service goes right in line with it. I like German cars, but will never own one because of the inflated prices of parts and service.

Originally Posted By: Jeepster_nut
Premium brands cost premium bucks to service. Simply because you bought a premium brand the service goes right in line with it. I like German cars, but will never own one because of the inflated prices of parts and service.

There are a few independent shops around here that specialize in BMW and Mercedes and Lexus. Their prices are about the same for labor as domestic dealers. But the problem is it is a lot harder to find aftermarket parts for the luxury brands, so you often end up paying for OEM parts from the dealer even if you don't have the dealer do the work.

Oil(6.4 qt) + filter + labor for $85 is not bad at all, especially for Canadian with average price of syn oil at around $10/qt. The Mercedes dealer in Newport Beach charges $250 for an oil change. Do it myself costs me less than $25 for 8 qt syn oil and filter, I bought my oil and filter on sale for less than $2/qt and filter was less than $8.

Aint that the truth. A guy I work with needed a battery for his BMW sedan and it cost him (installed) $500 at the dealer. An alternator cost him $1200 installed. Total rip off IMO.

I was reading a tech bulliten from BMW about replacing batteries in i wanna say newer 7 and 5 series. It was reminding techs that the computer needs to be updated when replacing a battery because the alternator is computer controlled and will overcharge a new battery.

OP FWIW Mazda requires 0w20 on the 2011 models and last time I looked their 0w20 was somewhat affordable.

More than once, my dad paid something like $200 for an oil change on his Accord, at the Honda dealer. I think it was a case of the service advisor agressively pushing a bunch of "inspections". When I pointed out to him that those same inspection were included in the standard $39 (or whatever it was) oil change the dealer offered, he stopped going there. Stealership, indeed.

Originally Posted By: css9450
More than once, my dad paid something like $200 for an oil change on his Accord, at the Honda dealer. I think it was a case of the service advisor agressively pushing a bunch of "inspections". When I pointed out to him that those same inspection were included in the standard $39 (or whatever it was) oil change the dealer offered, he stopped going there. Stealership, indeed.

Wow. That is nuts, at a Honda dealer?! It is certainly buyer beware. You can't often be a consumer/customer and just trust that you aren't being taken any more. You need to be informed about the product/service beforehand.

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
Originally Posted By: css9450

Wow. That is nuts, at a Honda dealer?! It is certainly buyer beware. You can't often be a consumer/customer and just trust that you aren't being taken any more. You need to be informed about the product/service beforehand.

This is common practice for most dealers.

That is a rip off. Owners of any brand can get ripped off. A JCI battery for my BMW is $118 at Walmart (and that's in Canada - it would be even less in the US). I think an alternator ran around $400 without shopping very carefully. Of course it could be rebuilt for something like $40 including new bearings.

The first way to pay too much is to go to the dealer for service - ANY dealer. IMO, I'd even go so far as to say that it's pointless to discuss cost of ownership of any brand if all you use as a benchmark is full dealer prices.

Last edited:
The JCI Everstart Maxx battery for BMW and MB group size 49 was $7x and then went up to $82 at WM in So Cal. I had MB OEM battery replaced 6.5 years ago by calling the roadside assistance, they used OEM battery and free installation for less than $150. If I had it installed at a MB dealer then it would be more than $200. I just check the price at dealer a bout a month ago and it was more than $200 for battery alone. I'm either buy Walmart or Motorcraft battery when I need it.

Got agree with a few people on here. Seems pretty average. Paid about that for syn oil changes in my wife's Acura. If I had kept my MINI (BMW product) past the 'free' services it was going to be between $125 and $140.

What surprises me is the synthetic recommendation. My 2010 IS350 is 6 months or 5k (IIRC on the mileage) on conventional. Dealership does a blend and since 2 years service was part of the deal when I bought the car I don't complain. Had it 19 months and just have 7,400 miles on it so I've gone in every six months.

BTW, just started doing my wife's Acura since it was out of warranty and with a new Autocraft center I finally have a place to do it. $6 for PP 5w20 a qt. $7 for the filter online (plus shipping but I needed some other parts not locally available). Even with getting the filter wrench for the oem filter at $19. I'm out just about $40 total for a synthetic oil change (though not 0w20).

Last edited:
Just got my locak reminder from the Toyota dealer this week.

"Dear Sir,

You car is due for a service. We also recommend:
Injector Cleaning - $88.
Airconditioning Cleaning - $88.

If you choose these, then we will throw in a FREE set of Toyota wiper blade replacements."

Har Har. I'll be doing my service myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back