Oil Recommendation: 2004 Lexus IS300 Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. What kind of vehicle you have:

2004 Lexus IS300 Turbo (stock 2JZ-GE engine with a turbo kit with a Precision SC6176S Journal bearing turbo)

2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well:

SAE 5W-30 (I have been using 10W-30 because heat from turbo) "API grade SL or ILSAC"

3. Where you live:

Florida

4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?):
All of the above

5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?):

Mostly short city drives. Some long distance highway

6. Whether your car has any known problems:

None

I prefer synthetic

Thanks!

Last edited:
Forgot some other parts:

I usually go 3000 miles between oil changes with an OEM Toyota filter. I prefer store bought oils instead of ordering online. But if there is an oil that you may recommend I guess I could bite the bullet if its worth getting. I was thinking of some of the racing oils that iv seen at Autozone (Kendell, VR1 RP ect) not sure how good these are. I have been using 10W-30 instead of the 5W-30 that is recommended in the owners manual as suggested by many others with turbo-converted cars.

Up to now I have been using Mobile 1 10W-30 and would like something more suited to my application and help prolong the life of my turbo.

Thanks again

Last edited:
Step one. Install oil pressure and temp gauges, and report back.
Just kidding, but not really.

Racing oils are not suited for full length oci engines.

I guess it will depend on what your goals are with this car.

Last edited:
The 5W30 recommended in the owner manual is for non-turbo, since you installed a turbo kit I would go with 0W40 or 5W40. M1 0W40 or Shell T6 5W40 will be better for your application.

If you like 5W40 then Shell Rotella T6 is a better choice. M1 Turbo Diesel 5W40 is good but I like Shell T6 better, you can get a 5-qt jug T6 at WM for around $20.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
If you like 5W40 then Shell Rotella T6 is a better choice. M1 Turbo Diesel 5W40 is good but I like Shell T6 better, you can get a 5-qt jug T6 at WM for around $20.

Minor correction - 4 quart jug. I wish they stopped stalling and do the 5 quart jugs already
smile.gif

Not sure why you would need a 0W for Florida. I think you should stick to the 10w-30, especialy during the summer. Could maybe switch back to 5w-30 in fall/winter if an oil change is due then. Definitely use a synthetic for your turbo. I prefer Mobil 1, but Pennzoil and Castrol will do the job just the same.

I'd run Mobil 0w-40 or GC 0w-30. It's synthetic and Audi approved to run in all their 4 cylinder turbo's plus has a higher HTHS rating. No you do not need a 0w in Florida, but it won't hurt a thing. It will pump faster on start-ups and get the vital lube to the turbo faster. At temp it will still be just as thick as a 5w-40 or 10w-30 or 40 oil.

M1 0W-40 or M1 TDT or Rotella T6 are the best bets for readily available oils. GC isn't approved in higher power applications like Porsche and Mercedes AMG.

Any syn in 10w-30 is fine for your turbo as that is what I run in my turbo PT Cruiser in deep South Texas. One the best things you can do to prolong turbo life is to allow a few minutes of low rpm operation before shutting down. This little extra cooling of turbo bearings is significent.
By the way Valvoline VR1 Racing oil(also rated SL) has a free case deal this month and would work well for you. Check the rebate section.

Thanks everyone for the advice. So I see the general opinion is a 0W oil. Will that be enough for hot Florida weather? I'll give it a try.

I also use a turbo timer to let it idle a but before the motor shuts off.

The thing that got me most interested in the oil i have been using is this article. I may not be making those kinds of power levels but its an interesting read about the zinc content in oils. Are there any oils that you guys recommend that have a higher zinc content than mobile one?

http://store.forcedperformance.net/merch...Motor%20Oil.pdf

Thanks

Last edited:
I have never seen Mobile one but it sounds like a Chinese knock off of Mobil 1 and therefore I would avoid it!

any 10-30 syn and spike it with one half bottle of ZDDPlus-that will bring your Zinc/Phos levels up to the 1400-1500 range in a 4 1/2 quart capacity system.

That FP site is a good article. I had a 2008 Evo 10, stroked to 2.3L and made 586awhp on 14 psi. Was running 5w/10w-30 mixed. Shop told me to do it, and this is pre-BITOG days for me. Three weeks later, a valve shoots right through the piston.

It consumed more than a quart of oil every 200 miles, less than a 100 miles on FRESH OIL, it's already DARK as dirt. Maybe the oil control rings were [censored], but it sure did spit a lot of smoke.

In my experience, if I ever get another 400+hp turbo car, I am not ever going to use a 5w30 or 10w30 as I believe it was the cause of destruction.

Use something other than 10w30 IMO.

Just made the switch to Rotella T6. Shall see how it goes
smile.gif

Feel funny putting diesel oil in a gas engine lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back