$85 for an oil change? No thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I went to my Lexus dealer to find out what an oil change would be. He told me normally it is $48 plus taxes but because I have a 2011 RX, which requires 0W-20 full syn, add another $40. So he figures around $85. 2011 RX 350 requires 6.4qt of oil with filter.

I understand the reason for 0W-20 but really... to satisfy the "green movement", I am forking out considerable dollars extra to yield relatively insignificant fuel savings.

Filter is worth $7 each, so at around $75 for oil and labour, I think I will be better off taking my business elsewhere.

That's high, but not really out of line as far as dealer prices. You'd be better off buying your own oil and filter and paying $19 at a quick lube for the labor, if you don't wanna do it yourself. At least that way you know you get a quality oil and filter.

Wal-mart charges $25 for a standard oil change, more fore synthetic oil or an up-graded filter.
Most shops around here have $20-$25 oil change specials all the time.
Synthetic oil would be more of course.

Bimer and Porsche steelships change more
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: FusilliJerry82
Lexus really says 0w-20 is absolutely REQUIRED?

The manual says that if 0W-20 is not available, I may use 5W-20, but I MUST replace that oil with 0W-20 at the next oil change.

$60 for M1 at my local Chevy dealer. Can do a syn oil change yourself for $25 including filter or under using the qty of oil necessary for that engine. If you can't wait for sales, $35.

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
$60 for M1 at my local Chevy dealer. Can do a syn oil change yourself for $25 including filter or under using the qty of oil necessary for that engine. If you can't wait for sales, $35.

+1

I don't see anything unreasonable about those prices, but then again, I live in a large metropolitan area and not in a rural town.

$40-$45 is the normal price for a standard oil and filter change with 5 qt of 5w-20 or 5w-30 in my area. The Toyota 3.5L V6 takes 6.5 qt, so that's an automatic 2 qt upcharge. So for conventional alone, it's $50.

A $30 upcharge for synthetic oil is quite common, so the OP's prices are not out of line at all, especially for a Lexus dealer.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
So I went to my Lexus dealer to find out what an oil change would be...
I understand the reason for 0W-20 but really... to satisfy the "green movement", I am forking out considerable dollars extra to yield relatively insignificant fuel savings.

The dealer's green movement, ie, $$$.

This could be a test of a new (service) customer to see if they're made of gold. Set them straight now if you ever want to use them and have them respect you.

Syn 0w20 is only $7/qt at walmart. In fact you could get a price quote from them; they do bottled oil changes with whatever you want off the shelf. Then go rub that quote in the dealer's face.

Changes from WM won't void your warranty.

You're OK with paying a inflated price for a vehicle such as a Lexus, but you're not OK paying an inflated price for Lexus oil changes?

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
You're OK with paying a inflated price for a vehicle such as a Lexus, but you're not OK paying an inflated price for Lexus oil changes?

Exactly.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

It makes no sense to me.

Around here 60-80 dollars is about the price to pay someone else to change your oil if your using synthetic.

Lets see .... good synthetics run about $8/quart so that's better than $50 and a filter for $8 or $10 ... that makes more than $60 .......... exactly what are you complaining about ?

That oil change will also last about 10-12k miles in average driving, or about the same price as two 5k mile conventional oil changes.

And, it's a Lexus dealer. High-priced cars foster high-priced service. Somebody has to pay for the Keurig with 10 different flavors sitting in the corner, and the free wireless internet.

If you can't afford to pay then you can't afford to play.

My car specifies 3k mile oil changes on SYNTHETIC oil. The dealer gets almost a hundred for one.

Needless to say they don't see me much!

Originally Posted By: bruno
Lets see .... good synthetics run about $8/quart so that's better than $50 and a filter for $8 or $10 ... that makes more than $60 .......... exactly what are you complaining about ?

+1; It makes a good narrative to blame everything on something you don't support, however.

Join the Lexus forum and find a local member who services Lexus and get him to do the work for you. It will be cheaper and a private tech will do a better job then the minimal wage tech's working at the dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back