Valve adjustment on 2.4L Honda

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a 2005 Honda Element with 131,000 miles on the 2.4L engine. How often should the valves be adjusted? The owners manual is vague on the frequency. Other owners have stated that they adjust them when the engine becomes "noisy"; I'm not sure if there is any credence to this.

What do all you Honda owners say?

Well, listening to it would be a start.

If you want to get a feeler gauge and check, it's not very hard. I haven't done the K24 but I assume it's the same as all other Honda's from what I've seen and read. That is to say it's not a terrible job with a flathead screwdriver and either the valve adjustment tool (basically a deep well socket the screwdriver fits through) or an offset wrench. The magical tool is in the 20 dollar range, I don't have one but I can see where it would save time and frustration (it lets you hold the adjustment screw while you tighten the lock nut).

You're kinda at the mileage where if it's going to happen in the life of the car, it might as well be now. If it sounds tappy, or if you have the time, at least checking the clearances would be good and probably take an hour.

Last edited:
Actually a little noise is ok. If you dont hear any clicking then they are to tight and your valves wont fully close which causes a burnt valve as the combustion gas rushes past them.

I did mine @ 10,000kms(first), then will do that every 4yrs or so.

I'm more worried about burning valves than leaving them loose (tappetty).

Q.

My civic sounds a tad bit noisy, but after some lubro moly MOS2 in the oil its much quieter, still need to adjust the valves though, out the tailpipe there is a notable loopy idle, like a gap in tailpipe pressure every second on one cylinder..

Last edited by a moderator:
75k, i'm a honda tech and these engines become tight on the exhaust side which will make no noise, make sure the engine is cold when adjusting valves on any honda.

I used to do it every 15K on the old 80s Hondas I had, probably not necessary to do it as often on the newer ones.

check them. honda tech above is spot on. exh valves will STRETCH, making them more quiet, and they'll burn. CRV engine was known for this. The 2.4 is a fantastic engine and chances are is fine, but if it were mine, I'd buy the magic $20 gauge and get to it.

M

Originally Posted By: meep
check them. honda tech above is spot on. exh valves will STRETCH, making them more quiet, and they'll burn. CRV engine was known for this. The 2.4 is a fantastic engine and chances are is fine, but if it were mine, I'd buy the magic $20 gauge and get to it.

M

That was the B20 engine from the first gen CRV. Not to be argumentative, just don't want the OP to live in constant fear that this is common on the K24. Not that it couldn't happen, just it's nowhere near as likely.

Last edited:
This is the magical wrench from Amazon
31BF5HCJFGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Valve Adjustment Wrench

You can rig something if you have one of the Gearwrench Vortex set and a locking pliers but you will mar the Gearwrench.

However, if there is a magical gauge (a long GO/NOGO each for intake and exhaust), I have not come across it.

- Vikas

If I remember right, the owner's manual for my 2004 Accord says to adjust the valves at 120k. I just adjusted mine the other day at 98k. About half of the exhaust valves were tight, and about half of the intake valves were loose- none bad enough to really cause a problem, but enough to be worth adjusting.

I think it's worthwhile as a maintenance check- and I probably won't mess with mine again for a long time. Maybe another 100k.

true, it's not as common on the 2.4 but it does happen,honda also says 60k till you change tranny fluid but if you go that long you run a good chance of have a short lived trans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back