Snapper self-propelled mowers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joel, the Snapper disc drive does look/sound complicated, but I think it has some key advantages over other rear-propelled systems:

1:Everything is out in the open, where it can be easily cleaned & inspected

2:It is reliable and has good performance- ground speed can be smoothly adjusted on the fly to any setting between the low and high limits

3:It's been around a long time with very few changes, and you can still get replacement parts for just about any Snapper ever made. Case in point- When we bought our house a couple of years ago, there was an old Hi-Vac mower left in the basement by a previous owner, vintage 1986. The steel deck had some dings and surface rust, but was in very good shape overall considering its age. During winter 2009, I decided to see if I could get it going again. Didn't have any luck with the old 3.5 HP B&S motor, but was able to find a new 4 HP B&S motor online for $110 shipped to my door. Replaced the engine, and with another $50 worth of parts from the friendly local Snapper dealer, replaced other worn/missing parts, including new blade, blade hub, rubber drive tire, etc. Even gave it a new paint job. Using the owner's manual and parts diagrams downloaded from the Web, I was able to completely disassemble the rear axle/drive system and get it back together with little issue. Much easier than changing a carb on a Honda mower engine, I might add....

Machine runs/mows like new. Gave it to my new son-in-law as a practical wedding gift, then went out and bought myself a new one. I've owned John Deere & Honda mowers in addition to Snappers, and from now on I'll choose a Snapper from a dealer over other brands of walk-behind mowers. Yes, the mowers at the dealer are expensive, but they are worth it if you plan to keep them beyond a few years. The newer one I have now may easily outlast me! BTW, the commercial versions you have linked in your note are probably overkill for most homeowners. I have a standard model, and it is still much more "heavy-duty" than the cheap mowers at the big-box stores.

I think the Hi-Vac with the Ninja blade mulches just fine. Some will argue that the cut is not as good as Toro's & Honda's, but I can't tell any real difference between the Snapper and the Honda I had that used the dual-blade mulching setup. As you know, the Hi-Vacs are among the best for bagging.

Originally Posted By: 660mag
Originally Posted By: JTK
Interesting stuff. Thanks 660. As much as I'm intrigued by this drive system, it sounds like a lot of mechanical mayhem!

That Ninja blade looks crazy. Can that thing be sharpened? I couldn't imagine whacking an un-mulchable object with that sucker. kaBOOOM.. clunk..clunk.

Joel

About the kaBOOOM. The kaBOOM is never good.
Watched a new guy, right in front of me, stick his hand under a running mower. Almost puked. It was by far the worst carnage I've ever seen. He had to have 3 of his fingers amputated at the first knuckle. I'm the one who cleaned up the mess. Moved the mower, and there set one of his digies. Almost puked again when I saw that... Almost puked again just thinking about it.
And no it wasn't a snapper mower.
Holy cow, what was he thinking?????? I guess he wasn't?

I have a 21" Snapper that I bought new in 1998. I replaced the friction disc in 2010 I think it was. The part was easy to change and $10 or $15 iirc. My son used it for 3 or 4 years to cut neighborhood yards. Now I use it only for my yard.

Zero problems with the transmission. The zero radius turning is nice and so are the 6 speeds. Still using the original drive belt but have had a spare for 6 years should I ever need it. Rebuilt the carb and had to put a new spark plug coil on it last year. I've replaced the air filter a few times but always clean it out at the start of a new mowing season. It has a 6HP cast iron sleeved B&S. Appears to be a good engine in terms of reliability. I used dino in for many years but for the past 5 years I used Mobil 1 5w30, last year switched over to Mobil 1 0W-40.

I replaced the rear wheels a while back because they were getting smooth. Still has the original front wheels.

I blow it off after every use after I am finished blowing off the driveway and deck. Also wash it down every year before storing it for the winter. I think it still looks pretty new.

They are easy lawn mowers to work on. Except for the coil failure, mine always starts on the first or second pull. I use Stabil year round.

Awesome info guys. Thanks! As tempting as these babies are, I'm gonna hold off on one for now.

I'm going to fix up my trusty 1999 model year Honda HRS216SDA for now. I just ordered a new self-propel cable, drive belt, spark plug and blade from Planopower for $63 shipped. Hopefully I can get the original blade and spark plug out. I've yet to touch'em!

HRS216SDA_250x250.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back