Picked up a car with 211.000 miles.. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright,
So this vehicle has 211,000 miles. Unknown whats what with it, in terms of maintenance. Supposedly the previous owner knew what he was doing, a mechanic etc. things seem ok.

These are things I noticed:
Starting the car, I have to crank for 2-3 seconds. Stop. Then crank and it starts.
Idle can be rough until fully warmed up

Questions:
What can I run to clean those injectors?
Can I use Amsoil upper intake foam cleaner
Would running 2 stroke oil in the gas help idle better?
How many cans of Redline SI fuel cleaner should I run at first/after that

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NattyBoh
Starting the car, I have to crank for 2-3 seconds. Stop. Then crank and it starts.

Without knowing anything else about the vehicle, and assuming it is fuel injected, this sounds like a fuel pressure regulator that doesn't hold pressure. You may be able to achieve the same results by turning the key to ON for a few seconds to let the fuel pump prime. You may need to turn it to ON a few times (cycling it back to OFF) to prime the system enough. That would at least save the starter from unnecessary cranking.

Perhaps if you were more descriptive, and at least told us the color of the car we could offer more help.
laugh.gif

HaHa sorry guys. Its a 1997 cherokee. It is fuel injected and the fuel pump was replaced by the previous owner not that long ago.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NattyBoh
HaHa sorry guys. Its a 1997 cherokee. It is fuel injected and the fuel pump was replaced by the previous owner not that long ago.

Was it a Denso pump? They are notorius for short lived failures.

I truthfully do not know.. Is it hard to replace the pump? I know its in tank.

The jeep is a 4x4 offorad rig, so there is no interior in the rear. Can I get to it from the back of the car? or do i have or drop the tank?

First thing I would check is the fuel pressure. Buy or rent gauge, many things besides the pump can go bad. For instance the fuel pressure regulator can go bad, letting the fuel drain back to the tank or pulling fuel into a vacuum line. Both will cause starting issues. Another thing I would look at is plugs an wires, I assume this thing has a distributor? Weak spark can cause starting issues you described.

BTW I've purchased three vehicles with over 200,000, including my current.

Im going to run a full bottle of Gumout w/regain and see whats what. I bought two of them so, I'll have another run.

Or could I do a half tank of gas and a full bottle? Add MMO, 2 stroke? Anything else?

I usually run Regane in 12-13 gallons of fuel, that gives a pretty strong shot I imagine.

I don't know how large your tank is but if it's 20+ gallons, I would just run two bottles of Regane in a full tank.

JB Advanced Fuel Injection System Cleaner is my fave.... but if I say that all the boo birds come out.

Lol. Techron, Regane, whatever should do the job. Any time a motor doesn't jump to start, its, spark, fuel, air or compression. One of those...

Well I just went threw my first bottle of regaine HM stuff on a full 20gal tank and it did help level out my idle ( is that possible? ) and I just ran 3/4 of a bottle in another 20 gal tank. I may just add the rest when I get a little less fuel in there..

is it worth to run MMO or TCW3 to help the old girl out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back