2003 camry with issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't think I'd ever bother to ask about this car (read my sig), but what the hey-this is BITOG, and this is now a what oil? thread.

The car in question is a 2003 Toyota Camry LE with 138k miles. 2.4L four cylinder. It's stock, and it's driven like any commuter/daily driver out there.

The interesting part is the epic amounts of blow-by this thing generates. Cold-start it, and a nice plume of blue smoke comes out the tailpipe-I'd say it takes at least 1 quart every 1500k.

What should I run in it? Have some mobil clean 5000 from when O'reillys had some on sale for $2/quart, but I'm open to suggestions.

being in the engine business i would first check the pcv system... if the engine is well maintained i would try a high mileage oil 5w30 valvoline max life or pennzoil hm are great oils and i have seen them work very well in motors with bad valve seals and leaks also..
Try that and pm me and let me know how it works...Remember 5w30 hm.. I use hm pennzoil in my high mileage cars..

Last edited:
If you bought this camry used and has no prior maintenance history, chances are, previous oil-change neglect will cause oil control rings to jam, which leads to accelerated oil burning.

Granted, the valve stem seals are still ok and you still get good compression out of it, try running AutoRx or Kanolabs Kreen and see how it goes.

Cleaning/replacing PCV valve also helps but in this case: not by much.

(*yes, I do own a 04 camry LE and never burn any oil during 7000kms oci since bought 3+ yrs ago)

and No, I don't believe in MMO.

Q.

See if it is leaking coolant. The early Toyota 2.4 engines would have issues with the head bolts coming loose (due to threads in the block crumbling) and cause coolant leaks and other major issues.

My dad has an 03 with 110k with the same problem. Never been abused, well maintained but still. Current OCI I threw in Delvac 15w-40 with Lubro-Moly Motor Oil Saver and MOS2. Can't say it really improved consumption much but boy is it ever quieter. That 2AZ-FE is a noisy motor.

I've got the same exact car. Went through 2 cycles of AutoRX and it doesn't leak or consume oil anymore using Amsoil SSO and a 14k OCI. Try it, you'll love the results.

Did you buy it used? And what's the maintenance like?

Have an 04 in the family and the oil level doesn't budge on the dipstick between oil changes.

my dad drove it-that is, oil changes have been done sporadically, at best. He bought it new, and basically abused it maintenance-wise, just like with the '93 camry he bought new and abused for 235k miles.

I like the idea of the pcv valve-will look into that. No idea if the transmission chip was ever done either.

Our 2002 has 226K on it and has done this for a while now. I've done the PCV valve as well as a MMO soak. It leaks a bit now and I don't let the kids park it on the driveway. So it's probably a combination of valve guides wearing and leaks. But at that rate, it's not much to worry about. Just check the oil every fill up, add when needed and call it a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back