5.0 (Coyote) Mustang Oil Viscosity Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few months ago I became the proud owner of a new Mustang GT with the new 5.0 powerplant. I realize this question is better suited to other Mustang owners, and have asked on a Mustang forum that I frequent but did not get any replies.

When preparing for the first oil change, I found it odd that the manual specified only 5W-20. Every other vehicle I've owned has had a recommended viscosity, but also listed others that could be used, depending on climate. This has allowed me to choose from several viscosities and use whatever happens to be on sale at the time. It also seems the new 5.0 is a fairly noisy motor in general (ticks and clicks) and I would like to try a heavier oil to see if that helps at all. Heavier oil made a huge difference in the amount of valvetrain noise my last modular Ford (4.6L 94' T-Bird) made. I've gone through my owners manual front to back and the only thing I see listed is 5w-20. Did I miss something in the manual, or is this really the only viscosity that can be used? I'm sure there are several other viscosities that would be just fine, but I don't want to have any problems should something go wrong that Ford could theoretically blame on incorrect oil. Thanks, Thomas.

Last edited:
welcome2.gif
to BITOG! Until your warrenty expires, you will have to use the 5w20, unfortunatly. as soon as ours was up, we switched to 10w30, which seems to run much better. 5w30 should be perfect for that car when the warrenty is up.

Stick with the 5W-20 oil. If you are worried about it, use a synthetic 5W-20 - PP, PU, M1...whatever brand you like.

Ford has done a LOT of research and testing with the 5W-20, and it will work fine. It will also reduce warranty problems using the correct 5W-20 viscosity.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Stick with the 5W-20 oil. If you are worried about it, use a synthetic 5W-20 - PP, PU, M1...whatever brand you like.

Ford has done a LOT of research and testing with the 5W-20, and it will work fine. It will also reduce warranty problems using the correct 5W-20 viscosity.

+1

That engine has been tested into the ground with 5w-20. Its a GIANT sump. Maybe try different versions (at most) but I would stick with MCSS. I put 5w-30 in my modular 2001 Bullitt and it absolutely killed the power; Felt like i was pulling a 5000lb trailer.

I think my question was misunderstood...

Every other vehicle that I have owned has listed several viscosities that could be used. However, the Mustang only appears to have 5W-20 listed. Did I miss something in the manual, or is 5W-20 really the only oil that can be used? My last new car was a 2007 and it listed several viscosities. My last 2 motorcycles from 2006 & 2007 also listed several viscosities.

I would like to try a heavier oil to see if it helps quiet my engine noise. This is a very common complaint with this new motor and several people have taken the car in for service due to the noise. One guy had an engineer come out an add a "mystery additive" to the oil and the ticking stopped almost instantly, though Ford refuses to say exactly what it is. Since then, others have had this additive added with success. It has been my experience that using a slightly heavier oil CAN make a huge difference in engine noise.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
That engine has been tested into the ground with 5w-20. Its a GIANT sump. Maybe try different versions (at most) but I would stick with MCSS. I put 5w-30 in my modular 2001 Bullitt and it absolutely killed the power; Felt like i was pulling a 5000lb trailer.

It takes 8 quarts for a full change. That shocked the heck out of me.

^^ In answer to your question: Many of the car makers are suggesting one grade of oil and one grade only. As others have mentioned Ford has tested 5W20 for your application and they are confident it will work well. While under warranty I would suggest sticking to 5W20, after that you're free to use any grade you want. I'd still stay with 5W20 after the warranty is up. JMO

Originally Posted By: twsnnva
I would like to try a heavier oil to see if it helps quiet my engine noise. This is a very common complaint with this new motor and several people have taken the car in for service due to the noise. One guy had an engineer come out an add a "mystery additive" to the oil and the ticking stopped almost instantly, though Ford refuses to say exactly what it is. Since then, others have had this additive added with success. It has been my experience that using a slightly heavier oil CAN make a huge difference in engine noise.

Ahh, this puts a different light on things. Have you taken your car to your dealer and asked them about the noise? Maybe they have a problem with sticking lash adjusters in the production engines? You could discuss putting in a 5w30 with the service department when you take it in and find out if it affects your warranty.

Someone needs to enter suit against the EPA for this 5W20 nonsense!

That and the failed non-serviceable EPA smog carburetor on my expensive $$$ string trimmer!

Rant Off....Sorry I needed to vent some righteous indignation for a change.

Rickey.

Originally Posted By: Sunnyinhollister
Looks like Ford released a service message to the dealers about this issue allowing 10w-40:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/20...lems-again.html

The TSB in the referenced thread was for 4.6 and 5.4 3-valve engines from 2006-2009, not 2011 5.0 engines. The problem there was clicking solenoids for the VCT system that make audible noises from 800-1200 rpm. I take it that the problem with the 5.0 is different.

"5w20 is really the only oil to use" -- as with every Ford I've had since 2004. Ford doesn't play with "different viscosities for different climate". That makes it easier IMO. I'd rather run the same thing year around.

My Mustang GT is an 06 so different motor. I have been very pleased with Pennzoil Platinum 5W20 so you might try it. I have had very quiet operation. Still, if I had yours and was displeased with the sound I wouldn't hesitate to try 5W30. I seriously doubt if it would be a problem for the cam timing. Many Mustang drivers use it instead of 5W20 with no complaints.

I believe this Coyote engine came from down under. Why don't you check with the Aussies and see what they use down there?

I wouldn't be looking for an engine oil that meets CAFE standards and might even last through the warranty period. Like you, I would be trying to find the best oil for the engine to last as long as possible, and run great too. So, I understand your dilemma. Good luck with that fun car!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back