Oil Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
There have been load of threads and discussion about power sports engine oils. After reading and absorbing much information, I've concluded that there are loads of great oils out there, but I've (at least for now) settled on Mobil 1 4T 10W40 racing oil for my 09 Ranger. It's loaded with phosphorous/ZDDP which is good for flat tappet/valve train wear. It has an excellent addictive package for engine cleanliness, etc. There's lots of info on their website about this oil. I called their customer service rep. and he highly recommended this oil for the Polaris Ranger. The 0W40 oil is designed for modern auto engines with roller rockers and has no where near the valve train protection of the 10W40 racing oils, although it may have enough. It's interesting that the rep. did not recommend it. He did not recommend against it. It just was not mentioned when I asked for advice on best oil for my application. He was really strong on the 4T 10W40 racing oil.

The reason racing oils aren’t suitable for normal use is that they have little to no detergents and dispersants. Without these additives the oil will not hold contaminates in suspension for removal by the oil filter. They are intended for one purpose, racing and most racers change the oil after each race.

I have a 2009 Polaris rzr and my manual calls for a synthetic 0w40, but my understanding is Polaris no longer makes that weight oil.They now make a 2w50 only.Seems weird they would stop making a weight of oil that they recommend.I also find it strange that they do not show the weight of their oil on the bottles.I am curious if the 50w is a better route to go,maybe they realized the 50w oil is better.I bought rotella t6 5w40 and will use it on my first oil change unless I can get more clarification.I would never buy the Polaris oil anyway.

Polaris and every other OEM do not make lubricants; they contract with oil companies for a generic product packaged under their label. They sell lubricants to make more money and that is the only reason they sell oils. The same oil may be sold under several oem labels, same bottle, same oil, different label, different propaganda.

With significant dollars at stake, it's not hard to understand why the OEM and the dealer want you to think the OEM is the only oil that is safe to use. The OEM's/Dealers want a monopoly on the products you use such as oil and filters and the owners manuals and warranties are written to affect that end.

Polaris recommends a 2W-50 because they are the only ones selling a 2W-50, its all about making money. The difference in viscosity between a 0W and 2W is not enough to amount to anything. Its all marketing.

I understand,I just find it strange that right in mid cycle stop recommending one weight oil and start recommending another.And they are actually losing a share of the market to have so many owner manuals recommending a weight of oil that they don't even sale.But I guess if you didn't know better the Polaris techs could tell you what they are selling is 0w40 even though it's not.If for some reason you have trouble out of the engine is Polaris liable since they sell you oil knowing it is not the weight the owner manual calls for.I find it hard to believe the Polaris shop will not sell oil to anyone who has a bike made before 2010.

At least this is what I have read.I have been told that some of the 2009 call for 0w40 and some call for 2w50 and all newer bikes call for the 2w50.

Originally Posted By: Mike_dup1
Polaris and every other OEM do not make lubricants; they contract with oil companies for a generic product packaged under their label. They sell lubricants to make more money and that is the only reason they sell oils. The same oil may be sold under several oem labels, same bottle, same oil, different label, different propaganda.

With significant dollars at stake, it's not hard to understand why the OEM and the dealer want you to think the OEM is the only oil that is safe to use. The OEM's/Dealers want a monopoly on the products you use such as oil and filters and the owners manuals and warranties are written to affect that end.

Polaris recommends a 2W-50 because they are the only ones selling a 2W-50, its all about making money. The difference in viscosity between a 0W and 2W is not enough to amount to anything. Its all marketing.

Last edited:
The reason racing oils aren’t suitable for normal use is that they have little to no detergents and dispersants. Without these additives the oil will not hold contaminates in suspension for removal by the oil filter. They are intended for one purpose, racing and most racers change the oil after each race.

Mobil 1 4T racing oil is really a motorcycle oil. It's know as a racing oil outside the US. You might want to read mobil's web site about this oil. It's loaded with detergents and dispersants. This is really an outstanding oil for Ranger application. Here's Mobils website for this oil. Might want to check it out

Your engine does not fall into the category of a sport bike.
Quote:

Sport Bikes:
A term applied to light weight, high horsepower motorcycles designed with emphasis on acceleration, cornering and stopping power. Sport Bikes have an aggressive riding position with the rider's belly to the gas tank. Their weight makes them easy to handle but the sensitive and powerful acceleration can get an inexperienced rider into trouble. These bikes are very popular with young riders.

Your engine does not fall into the category of a sport bike.
Sport Bikes:
A term applied to light weight, high horsepower motorcycles designed with emphasis on acceleration, cornering and stopping power. Sport Bikes have an aggressive riding position with the rider's belly to the gas tank. Their weight makes them easy to handle but the sensitive and powerful acceleration can get an inexperienced rider into trouble. These bikes are very popular with young riders.

You're right my machine is not a sports bike. A lot of guys use 5W40 Rotella and their machines are not farm tractors or over the road diesel rigs. Some use 5W40 mobil 1 diesel truck oil and their machine is not a diesel truck. It would seem logical that if this oil would protect a sports bike with high hp turning high rpms, then it aught to protect a Ranger engine. I was merely reporting what the tech at mobil told me when I asked for their best oil for the Polaris ranger. Your argument should not be with me. You should call the people who make this stuff and tell them they don't know what the [censored] they're talking about.

Here we are talking about the details & differences of types of oil. How many small engines have you see(other owners of course) where the oil is seldom changed? It's easy for people to put off & forget about small engine oil changes. I've seen oil as black as tar. For these people a routine change with most any oil would do them very well. I'm just saying, I think regular, routine changes are more important than relatively minor differences in type of oil. JMHO

Originally Posted By: Jjones
Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Polaris Oil Online?

I believe that's an old oil no longer being made?

Seems to be available for purchase? If there is no substitute...buy it while you can.

Originally Posted By: Jjones
Polaris Oil Online?

I believe that's an old oil no longer being made?

Seems to be available for purchase? If there is no substitute...buy it while you can.

I personally am using rotella t6 in my rzr,in my above post I was more or less Wondering what the Polaris shop does about not having 0w40 for bikes that call for it.They probably have a bulletin somewhere that calls for bikes using 0w40 to switch to the 2w50, but I have not seen it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back