oil filter life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
how long does an oil filter last? would it last 7500 miles for dino oil (for my car)? So if I change my oil 2x every 3000 miles, I can use the same oil filter? why not?

Welcome Cathy!!!!!
Tell us what car, how you drive, Length of average trips. What kind of oil and filter do you use/prefer? And how cold it gets. Lots of knowledgeable people here.

toyota camry, 90% city 5 mile-10mile trips. California. various brands.
What I am asking is, I guess there's no way to test the life of the oil filter?
Also If I use mobil1, do I need fram "extra life" oil filter? I often use Pureone. 1997 150,000 miles. BTW what do you think is maximum oil change interval?

Last edited:
Welcome to BITOG.

Depends on your filter and the dust in the area where you drive. The filter can only absorb so much.

My mechanic tell me where I live even the Fram Orange Can will go 7500 but MUST be changed by then. But in a dusty area he says don't trust it past 2000 miles.

Some extended life filters will go 12,000 miles or more if you are in a spot with little dust. Amsoil, Mobil, and some other makers turn out pretty good long life filters.

If my oil looks clean, and the filter gets hot, I know that oil is passing through and still getting filtered.

What is your driving environment like? If you are around dusty construction sites or a wet-weather place with little dust, these all have a bearing.

Just saw your post. You do not need the extra life per se, but some people make the practice of changing filters with every other oil change. Personally I do not do that. Mobil 1 is good stuff.

Originally Posted By: cathy
Also If I use mobil1, do I need fram "extra life" oil filter? I often use Pureone.

Good job with the PureOne. The only Fram I use is the Extended Guard. Extra Guard, also known as Orange Can of Doom, Tough Guard, and High Mileage filters have shabby construction materials. You might want to look at the Oil Filter section to see some pictures of what the innards look like.

To answer your question though. Most oil filters today can do 6-10k miles with relative ease, for a standard 3,000 mile change you can pick just about anything on the shelf and feel comfortable. If you choose to do extended drains, 10k+ miles, then you should consider some of the higher end filters, Bosch Distance Plus, Fram Extended Guard, Royal Purple, Amsoil.

The more important question in my opinion is why are you only doing 3,000 mile OCIs? 6,000 is the new 3,000, unless otherwise required by warranty.

Last edited:
how long does an oil filter last? would it last 7500 miles for dino oil (for my car)? So if I change my oil 2x every 3000 miles, I can use the same oil filter? why not?

cathy,

When I drove my 74' Chevy Vega it was recommended to change the oil filter every 6K and do any oil change every 3K. At that time it didn't make sense to me so I just changed to a new filter every time I put in fresh oil.

Currently my OLM on my 08' Chevy Impala SS tell me to swap out the oil AND filter every 6K. Even these days I can only assume oil filters haven't changed much if not at all these years unless you get the fancy versions more expensive ones using the synthetic filter medium these days.

Durango

Also If I use mobil1, do I need fram "extra life" oil filter? I often use Pureone. 1997 150,000 miles. BTW what do you think is maximum oil change interval?

If you use mobil one, the pure one will work fine and should be good for 7500miles, the mobil 1 filter is good (expensive) The only fram some people will run here is the fram extended guard. Most people here don't use the orange fram. I run 10k ( or 1 year) on regular mobil 1, if i was using conventional oil i would run 5k or 6 months.

Last edited:
I live in Los Angeles. Not sure if this is "dusty." I do not live in a farming area, but have to wash car every few weeks. How does dust enter the oil supply? from the air "filter"?

how long does an oil filter last? would it last 7500 miles for dino oil

I don't see why not. The Mann/Mahle filters I'm using make it to 10K miles no problem. I'm sure other filters can manage 7.5K, too.

I live in Los Angeles. Not sure if this is "dusty." I do not live in a farming area, but have to wash car every few weeks. How does dust enter the oil supply? from the air "filter"?

Exactly, most of us like to change the air filter 2 -3 days before and oil change. The theory is that when you change the air filter you invariably get some dust dirt in the engine and that gets dumped 3 days later so none is in the new oil.

Yes you can use a Pureone 2x every 3000 miles. I personally would use a dino oil considering your driving 90% city/5-10 miles.

At Walmart, I would go with the Mobil 1 and a Fram Extended Guard.
The Purolator Pure 1 that you mention that you are using is a great filter as well.

I do 3000 OCI because I do 90% city driving (long idling), have sludge prone 4cylinder so I probably have moisture/acids in the oil. I am now going to extend it.

I do 3000 OCI because I do 90% city driving (long idling), have sludge prone 4cylinder so I probably have moisture/acids in the oil. I am now going to extend it.

Excellent points. Please don't extend simply because I said so, that is the biggest mistake you can make on this site.

I would take a sample of your oil at the 3,000 mile mark and see what kind of condition it is in. If it can go further push it a little further and do another sample. If it is already exhausted or about to be exhausted then continue with the 3k mile changes.

Originally Posted By: spasm3

Exactly, most of us like to change the air filter 2 -3 days before and oil change. The theory is that when you change the air filter you invariably get some dust dirt in the engine and that gets dumped 3 days later so none is in the new oil.

What?..Ya, If you live in the desert. I dont recall anyone here stating that they change A/F 2-3 days before the oil change( and I will check the filter section here in a minute to verify).If anything they get more efficient with time and there's no evidence to say that an A/F will let significant sand or dirt in enough to change it every 3k or 6k even if it's at 50% or 80% capacity.It's good enough to just follow the manufacturers specs on this for the avg urban/suburban drivers.We change the oil because it breaks down, gets contaminated, or the add-pack is used up (need UOA to confirm of course).
49.gif

Last edited:
So if I change my oil 2x every 3000 miles, I can use the same oil filter? why not?

Yes you can change the oil and use the same filter for your 2nd OCI. I always remove the old filter after the first OCI - empty the oil contents and reinstall it for another 3-4K OCI.

I recommend Purolator or Bosch filters. Best bang for the dollar.

Last edited:
Welcome cathy! You have a pretty harsh driving schedule so I would use a name brand oil/filter on sale and change at 3k. Your filter most will be fine for 6K I agree that Purolator's will get you that distance.

I personally look for the deals at Autozone or Advance Auto, Pep Boy's and make a decision on who is giving best the deal on the oil and filter combo and buy the premium. The most you will spend is $34 and you get peace of mind knowing you are putting good product in your engine. 3K in short trips is tough on oil! Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back