Amsoil AZO 0w30 with TAN and TBN - Blackstone Labs

Status
Not open for further replies.
^It makes sense. After reading through the article Pablo gave as well as doing some research, i have to agree with what you said.

The oil is acidic in the beginning and that helps it quickly clean and dissolve leftovers left behind by the previous oil.

TAN quickly drops and then slowly starts going back up as the oil ages and nears the end of its useful life (additives nearly gone)

If i was to sample the AZO after 1,000 miles, TAN will be considerably lower.

Amsoil guys are going to hate me for this, but I've noticed a trend with Amsoil. Their additive packages always seem to be a generation behind. Does not mean their oils are in any way inferior. It's worth pointing out though for those that like to follow the current trends in additives. The high calcium levels are what spikes the TBN.

VOA of M1 EP from 2005

Iron 1
Tin 2
Moly 76
Potasium 1
Boron 232
Silicon 4
Sodium 5
Calcium 3281
Magnesium 13
Phosph. 791
Zinc 958

SUS Visc. 62.3
Flash 435
TBN 13.0

I don't know how they could be behind the trend seeing as they JUST reformulated the SS line of oils. I would think its of the highest quality / spec to not only keep - exceed the current SN spec but keep it on the top for years to come (or until the next spec is called for)

Possibly, but remember the AZO is not GF-5/SN certified. In years past, Amsoil was always using older style additive packages. They didn't start using moly/boron until GF-4.

I'm sure it "meets or exceeds" the standard, as always.

I personally don't care for it that much. I'll use the oil in the EX Civic regardless because its exactly what i need seeing how unpredictable my driving can be, its good to know i can safely take another 1,000 mile trip even if i go over my 10k OCI (at the moment) and not fear the oil running out of juice.

I don't understand how someone can say this add-pack is 'behind' - look at the UOA's posted recently of PYB 5W-30, API SN - uses about 210-220ppm of moly, about 80-90ppm boron, and 2000-2200ppm Ca detergent.

Same 'style' of add-pack you have here. I'm not sure add-packs have 'dates', I think there are just different ways of arriving at the same result.

Rotella T6 uses 700-800ppm Ca, and 100-1200ppm Mg. If you look at VOA/UOA of oils back in the 1970's, they had a very, very similar add-pack, but you wouldn't say T6 was similar to a 1970's oil - it's actually a very advanced oil!

Good one, Addy. again, seeing as Amsoil JUST reformulated the formula, in light of the SN hooha, i doubt they would redo the already potent SSO and use additives combinations from 1990.
lol.gif

I'm just going by what an individual who works in the industry told me and by observation here for over 7 years. I really like the new formulations, and you are correct in that boron/ca/mg are still used. There is nothing weak about this oil. I'm just not convinced it's anything all that "advanced" so to speak. Amsoil was late in using boron/moly. Now their additive levels look identical to what others were using 4-6 years ago, which may not mean anything at all. Metallic additives are being reduced and phased out.

^Still, if the implication is that Mobil1 oils, since we all know that is where this is getting at/coming from(no offense sincerely)...then, M1 oils STILL haven't PROVEN in the field with their new oil yet(if they are hording secret formulas). ...and no I respect Mobil1 oils and would use them without hesitation.

IMO, they are in part trying to find 'cheaper' more 'economical' ways of reaching the same goal(Extended Performance). While companies producing products like Amsoil have more expensive oils BECAUSE they go over and above what is probably necessary to create an awesome oil. Now, if M1 chose to do that, of course their price would be higher. If they can accomplish similar(more or less) with newer tech/oil-ology etc, then props to them. Still, what Amsoil is pumping out is tried and true. M1 still has to take the hit/miss with newer tech. Just because it may/may not be the latest and greatest, if it hasn't seen extensive use in the open market it is still open for debate.

...and for the record by economical I don't necessarily mean sub-standard. If it is cheaper to use less of expensive add packs by finding newer/alternative means then great. Like the new 'titanium' in some oils, it is to be used in place of other adds(like moly perhaps?) and the long-term use can't be known for sure beforehand. It is still educated guesswork.

Last edited:
I agree with 'jim' above - Mobil is blending to a price point, and the lower the better. If the can find a formula that saves them 20 cents, but still delivers 90% of what they are looking for, they will go with that.

Amsoil blends for ultimate performance, and stresses that people are paying for qulaity and consistency above ALL other considerations.

True, to some extent but price matters more to amsoil than you think.
wink.gif

I could be entirely wrong but after 8 years or so following this non-sense I've seen how they tend to work.

Make no mistake, these Amsoil formulations are robust.

Hypothetically the XL line could be using a more advanced chemistry. What if the cost of the AZO line is more due to the base oil used and higher detegent levels? That doesn't mean it's better oil per se.

The XL line does look pretty good on paper. I'd love to run it for 10k in the ol' Civic and see how it compares to the SSO i've been using.

Only one way to find out but i'm more tempted to use the AZO then the XL at this point, even though i have cases and cases of both in the garage. Haha

Yeah the XL was always very good. SS oils will last longer though. You won't find better long drain oils on the market than Amsoil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back